Flailing in sparring

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, I had the same questions in my head.

I suspect.... but I didn't want to be negative.

View attachment 21649

In MMA when someone's new there is quite often a delay between striking and grappling leading to their timing being constantly out.

Which can mess with experienced guys.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
First of all, give it time. Clinch is an ‘entire’ art in itself. It takes (training) time...

As someone already said here, slow down and ask your partner to slow down as well if it is possible. Then you can think or apply what you have learned.

One thing I tend to do is controlling the opponent elbows. This way, I avoid his/her punches, grabs (somehow), control his/her balance and, consequently, his/her kicks. Then, I am safe; and can then control the neck for knees or move out... (Probably it is not clear, will post a video should I find one.)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was willing to stay later, but you still had a 90 minute drive to get Mike back home to Louisville.
That's true. You'd still have had to go home somtetime, Tony. And, no matter how much I enjoy training, I had an 8-hour drive to get back to my mom the next day. There will be a "next time".

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, and I don't think I'm that tough.

Me either. And I am working on a style that gets me hit less.

That is why I keep advocating out fighting in self defence. It preserves my head a bit more.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Me either. And I am working on a style that gets me hit less.

That is why I keep advocating out fighting in self defence. It preserves my head a bit more.
To protect my head from punching is the highest priority of my MA training. Sometime I even challenge someone that if he can't punch my head within 20 punches, he will pay me $1. Otherwise, I'll pay him $1.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To protect my head from punching is the highest priority of my MA training. Sometime I even challenge someone that if he can't punch my head within 20 punches, he will pay me $1. Otherwise, I'll pay him $1.
How much do feints cost?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

I'd work on that 'challenge' with you - but only if it's a friendly competition rather than a challenge, and we switch places after each 20, and we chat about what worked best and what would work with tweaking.

Next time you're in England, give me a shout ;)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd work on that 'challenge' with you - but only if it's a friendly competition rather than a challenge, and we switch places after each 20, and we chat about what worked best and what would work with tweaking.

Next time you're in England, give me a shout ;)
That should be a very friendly test. One person tests his defense skill while the other person tests his offense skill.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If he's "flailing" then that means he's doing bad in the hand striking exchange.

You can't just teach him Wrestling, Muay Thai clinch work, etc. online and expects him to learn & apply it. Wang Chungs are usually horrible in the clinch, and I spar with WC's who do bang hard. Pure WC's don't like getting clinched, so being grappled is out of the question. I have videos of this but I'm not going to embarrass these WC's.

He's training in an MMA gym right now, so he will learn, but doubtfully, online. Right now he needs to work on what he's got and certain WC techniques do work against Muay Thai quite well, which is probably what he's going up against in his MMA gym. Just use your Wang Chung and expect to get hit a lot and lose a lot....but tweek it, by implementing what they teach with WC.

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If he's "flailing" then that means he's doing bad in the hand striking exchange.

You can't just teach him Wrestling, Muay Thai clinch work, etc. online and expects him to learn & apply it. Wang Chungs are usually horrible in the clinch, and I spar with WC's who do bang hard. Pure WC's don't like getting clinched, so being grappled is out of the question. I have videos of this but I'm not going to embarrass these WC's.

He's training in an MMA gym right now, so he will learn, but doubtfully, online. Right now he needs to work on what he's got and certain WC techniques do work against Muay Thai quite well, which is probably what he's going up against in his MMA gym. Just use your Wang Chung and expect to get hit a lot and lose a lot....but tweek it, by implementing what they teach with WC.
Harsh words, FriedRice. Why the disrespect?

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, just joking around.
NP, I've said this before. Put a bunch of fighters on a forum and there's bound to be some trash talk. I like clinch distance but tend to not like being in a clinch. I've practiced a few drills for dealing with incoming knees. Curious to learn more about how you deal with them?

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

My old judo coach learned WC as his first art as a young man in China, and he would seriously disagree with you, he said for him WC was the hand, and judo was a glove.

He had to move to Japan to stay with his family. He wanted to study Chen Tai Chi, but in Japan, He got to learn Judo.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
NP, I've said this before. Put a bunch of fighters on a forum and there's bound to be some trash talk. I like clinch distance but tend to not like being in a clinch. I've practiced a few drills for dealing with incoming knees. Curious to learn more about how you deal with them?

I actually don't like clinch fighting, but will clinch people who don't train it, ie. Kung-Fu, Karate people, etc. I will start kneeing while yanking (driving) them by the head, side to side violently....although not hard knees in friendly sparring. I like staying right, outside of clinch range, but pressure fight at jabbing distance and try to out Box pure MT's with lots of short RH kicks.

If you're not used to MT's clinch work, which is a science all in itself, then the easiest way is to duck down while both hands cup underneath their elbows, spread their arms apart......(all in 1 motion).....2nd motion (happening almost right after).....while his elbows spread....push forward and hop backward fast (using his elbows as the anchor), while covering your face (after that push on his elbows). They can usually get 1 knee off to the face as you're exiting. Someone good at clinching will continue to follow you and keep kneeing while resisting your moves.

Purist MT teaches against this, but it works. Purist MT will usually teach you (when caught in a 1/2 or full clinch, or while having a clinch being initiated).....to immediately go towards him, hips to hips and clinch him yourself....so there's no room to throw straight knees. But now you're all in on Clinch Fighting vs. MT's who trains this almost every class. They'll curve knees you all day while yanking & throwning you around = not good for WC Purists. But if you're in MT class, then this is what you should do as apart of an MT essential, which is learning clinch work.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My old judo coach learned WC as his first art as a young man in China, and he would seriously disagree with you, he said for him WC was the hand, and judo was a glove.

He had to move to Japan to stay with his family. He wanted to study Chen Tai Chi, but in Japan, He got to learn Judo.

That's nice, but this guy, the OP....ain't a Judo guy....he's WC only. So what I said, was only meant for his situation (to the best of my knowledge).

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's nice, but this guy, the OP....ain't a Judo guy....he's WC only. So what I said, was only meant for his situation (to the best of my knowledge).

Well, she said she was karate as well, and he said he was Shudokan Karate... which has every kata for karate. Which makes me wonder about what those classes were all about, and who was teaching them.

The Shudokan tradition has curriculum for fighting at all ranges, (but not much groundwork). There is a large amount of fighting from the clinch position in it.

OP
WingChunChick

WingChunChick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I had the same questions in my head.

I suspect.... but I didn't want to be negative.

View attachment 21649

I'll be honest. Yes, I come from a mcdojo background, I trained in fake karate for a long time when I was young. As I got older I transferred to wing chun kung fu. And have started doing mma recently.

I really love both wing chun and karate, and my end goal is to practice both but in a practical manner. Which is why I'm sparring with mma people in that style.

P.S to everyone, I use stronger words than I mean to, english isn't my best. So flailing might have been a bit wrong, I'm doing okay at clinch work, I just wanted to ask you all for some tips on how to improve