Veggies

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
Nothing better than some Broccoli and Cauliflour with some cheese sauce on top. Very yummy

Get Out!:mad:

OP
M

Mon Mon

Dang meat eaters you are on the dark side. Convert to veggies and be saved!:)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mon Mon
Dang meat eaters you are on the dark side. Convert to veggies and be saved!:)

Sorry but there's not enough protein intake living just off of vegetables.:asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by cali_tkdbruin
Ahhhhhhhhhhh.......... :barf:

I see you won't have dinner with me either, huh? Well I was a TKD guy up until '94 but if you're in central ohio let me know.

OP
L

lost_tortoise

Meat and Amino Acids
Posted: March 3, 2003

My martial arts teacher and another man in the class insist that there are enzymes and amino acids that are required by the human body and that are found only in meat. Is this true?

No, there isn’t a shred of truth to it. We make all of the enzymes we need in our own body. We have no dietary need for enzymes. There are 8 amino acids that we need to get from food and these are found in meat, dairy foods, eggs, grains, nuts, seeds, beans, soy products, and many vegetables.

The Institute of Medicine, which is the government group that sets nutrient recommendations for all age groups, just came out with new recommendations on protein. They said that vegetarians can get all of the protein and all of the amino acids they need from plant foods. The American Dietetic Association says the same thing.

Found this on the web...a little education goes a long way (comment aimed at no one in particular.);)

OP
L

lost_tortoise

Is there a top to the "Food Chain"??? I always thought the "chain" was circular.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by lost_tortoise
Meat and Amino Acids
Posted: March 3, 2003

My martial arts teacher and another man in the class insist that there are enzymes and amino acids that are required by the human body and that are found only in meat. Is this true?

No, there isn’t a shred of truth to it. We make all of the enzymes we need in our own body. We have no dietary need for enzymes. There are 8 amino acids that we need to get from food and these are found in meat, dairy foods, eggs, grains, nuts, seeds, beans, soy products, and many vegetables.

The Institute of Medicine, which is the government group that sets nutrient recommendations for all age groups, just came out with new recommendations on protein. They said that vegetarians can get all of the protein and all of the amino acids they need from plant foods. The American Dietetic Association says the same thing.

Found this on the web...a little education goes a long way (comment aimed at no one in particular.);)

You're right about the enzymes and technically you can get all the amino acids needed to function with a veggie diet, but its the amount of those aminos that is needed and that they are food specific that is the tricky part. There are certain aminos found only in one or two types of veggies and it would require a fairly large sum of that particular veggie to get the needed amount of that particular amino acid for body and muscle maintanance. Secondly, the body needs even more of said aminos if it is larger or more muscular and even more above that if it is building or repairing muscle like after an exercise workout or a day of heavy labor. Needless to say meat makes these issuses easier to deal with in that the AAs needed are found in most meats and in more than abundant quantities to not only maintain but build muscle.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can absolutely get all your body's requirements from a vegetarian, or even a vegan diet. However, its a lot more difficult. Someone who chooses to cut out meat should have a nutritionist carefully analyse their diet to make sure.

check out this website for more info...

http://www.moscowfood.coop/archive/b.html

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As long as I have my guns and enough ammo, I am at the top of the food chain
Exactly. There are the hunters and the hunted. As long as man has the technology or the intelligence to create said technology he will continue to be the hunter.

Is there a top to the "Food Chain"??? I always thought the "chain" was circular
You're thinking the circle of the eco-system. Creation, life, death, decay, used as fuel, recreation and so on. The chain is a link upon link kinda thing. Little fish eaten by bigger fish is eaten by ....well, that's the way I see it anyway and I ain't gonna get eaten by a guppy:rofl:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
no... it is circular...

plants get eaten by small animals, small animals get eaten by bigger animals, and when bigger animals die, they decompose into plant food, and everything starts again.

Latest Discussions