Using techniques in sparring?

rudy fox

White Belt
Reaction score
This is an excellent discussion / observation. I too have tried to execute techniques while sparring. While the results are usually not pretty, I have done simple techniques like delayed sword. But, it doesn't look exactly like we do it in class.

Remember, we learn the "ideal phase" in class. I think that sets an unrealistic expectation in our early training: in that we expect to see and respond to the "front right straight punch" attack. Think about it, though. Because the nature of sparring is dynamic, I think it would be a rare event to execute the ideal phase of the technique in so dynamic an environment.

That is what makes 'timing' such a critical element in countering an attack with a technique. If you knew exactly when and from what angle the attack was coming, you could prepare for it and launch your technique.

For example, I can stand in a batting cage and hit a 90MPH fastball. That is because every pitch from the machine is nearly identical. I adjust the timing of my swing to hit the ball.

Now, put me in the box with a pitcher who can throw a 90MPH fastball or an 80MPH curve or a 75MPH changeup and I'd probably strike out beacuse you have now put me in a dynamic environment. I have to adjust to each pitch at the moment it is thrown.

It's the same thing in sparring. (Note - I'm not trying to insult your intelligence). People don't throw the ideal 'front right straight punch' all of the time. They change speeds, vary angles of delivery, alter their weapons and the like.

While I am comfortable executing techniques, I have not yet learned or mastered the techniques to the point where they are instinctive. I believe Bruce Lee called it 'mushin' and Ed Parker referred such a degree of understanding in the stages of learning.

When I watch the black belts and my instructor, they execute techniques without having to think about it...and I think that is what it takes to be able to execute a technique in such a dynamic environment as sparring or in a street fight. You can't think...just react...

How does one achieve this level where the execution of techniques is instinctive or like a reflex? Practice and repetition.

Respectfully submitted,

Rudy

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rudy fox said:
How does one achieve this level where the execution of techniques is instinctive or like a reflex?
Orange belt saying #1
"Let time be your measurement to skill and experience" - Ed Parker
:asian:

Latest Discussions