Using techniques in sparring?

fuhok

White Belt
Reaction score
Greetings brothers and sisters!

I have an interesting subject on my mind and I wanted your opinions to alleviate my confused brain. When I am sparring in Kenpo class I have never executed a technique. Come to think of it I can’t remember executing any “section” of a technique such as a simple inward block followed by a hand sword. My confusion led me to explore other martial arts namely Wing Chun and Muay Thai.
Now when I spar I find that the techniques that I have learned from these other disciplines pay huge dividends. When in trouble, or behind in point sparring, I switch to Wing Chun`s centerline principle; throwing chain punches, using circle steps to evade and soft energy counter attacks. If I am very close to my partner I find myself pulling their head down and throwing Muay Thai knee strikes to the midsection and employing various secitons from Muay Thai`s "wall of defense". Again I have been very successful when employing these different tactics but i wish that i could use five swords just once! My sparring partners are brown belts and above and many have been at our school for decades so my competition is up to par.

My question is why can’t I employee Kenpo techniques, in any form or fashion, on my sparring partners?

I look forward to reading your answers.

Mike

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have used the first part of leaping crane and I have also used reversing mace.

V/R

Rick

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Personally, I think the self defense techniques are often unlikely to be useful in a sparring match. The techniques give you ideas to use, but at best you will only get portions of one or several techniqes to actually work under these circumstances.

Part of the problem is that the techniques assume you are actually doing damage to the opponent, which enables you to follow with the rest of the technique. We are talking about actual injury and incapacitation, not just bumps and bruises. Especially in a sparring match, you cannot deliver the kind of damage necessary to proceed the rest of the way. You will run out of sparring partners. In short, the parameters surrounding sparring, especially with safety and injury considerations, eliminate the usefulness of many of the techniques.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo techniques weren't really designed for sparring, they were to designed to incapacitate and attacker. Two very different applications.

As an example, your Muay Thai knees to the midsection while pulling the head down would be a knee to the head in kenpo, probably after a kick to the groin. Neither is kosher in the ring.

Don't think of kenpo as techniques think of it instead of the way you were taught to move. You may find that you are actually using some of those principles.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
jdinca said:
Don't think of kenpo as techniques think of it instead of the way you were taught to move. You may find that you are actually using some of those principles.

those are some wise words!!!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since the techs are all basic models to defend against various attacks with a two minor move set up for a major kill shot, work on creating an opening with a jab sweep or a sweep jab before trying to tag him with a knock out shot and there you go... you just did a technique.
Sean

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Sounds like you are giving up too easy. Any of the people that have sparred with me can tell you, I use the techniques in sparring, to great effect. Sometimes, I have to apply the equation formula to prevent hurting someone. Pick a technique, start with a simple one, and try working it into your sparring.

R

rschoon

I also try to use tech. in sparring. I will just use 1 or 2 in any given session so that I can get a good feel for it. Because of the lack of reaction due to the lack of damage done to my partner, I tend to only get the first parts of the tech's done. Most imprtant to me is the timing that it allows me to learn.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Pick up and look through a chess book (about strategy and tactics, not opening play) and you'll see that the principles are taught using made up positions (sometimes positions taken from an actual game). In chess you get into positions that have similar characteristics but are not the same as other positions...by learning the principles you learn what applies once you recognize the characteristics.

I believe the same to be true in kenpo. If nothing else, look at techniques against a kick or punch; generally begins with a block and a movement of the body out of harms way followed by a counterstrike. Persistant practice of techniques will teach where and how to counterstrike; as well as follow-ups after that.

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sascha Williams, produced "The Book of Sparring Drills" circa 1995, which includes a section on using (Kenpo) techniques in freestyle,he has an interseting perspective on the matter.
Richie

Kim Dahl

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey

You have to ask your self what is a Kenpo techniques . It is just Basis put together in a particular orden to teach you rules and principles of Motion. So when you are sparring you are just putting basis together in your own order.

Best Kenpo Regards
Kimpo

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One thing that makes it difficult is the difference in rules: There are many safety rules in sparring whereas most self defense is survival. The same concepts of motion can be used though.

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Fist things first define your sparring, if it is for competition then of course you are bound by the rules of the governing body period.
But if you want to be creative in sparring then the options are wide open BTW this does not mean beating the living crap out of each other, but rather explore and employ the vast number of variables that exist within our system.
Rich

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
kenpo techniques themselves almost never work while sparring. there are a lot of reasons for this, the biggest (from my perspective) being that people rarely commit their whole energy to an attack while sparring. this means their body reacts differently from how the techniques expect them to react.

your stances, transitioning and the flow of strike to strike will serve you well, but don't get attached to trying to pull off parting wings, or leaping crane, or (god help you) taming mace.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I agree. Trying to pull off techniques is very difficult, if not impossible while sparring, just as they would be in a self defense situation. The techniques are meant to give you an idea, you'd most likely never pull off one for real, just pieces of it. Keep it simple, stick to "kickboxing" techniques when sparring.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:
kenpo techniques themselves almost never work while sparring. there are a lot of reasons for this, the biggest (from my perspective) being that people rarely commit their whole energy to an attack while sparring. this means their body reacts differently from how the techniques expect them to react.

your stances, transitioning and the flow of strike to strike will serve you well, but don't get attached to trying to pull off parting wings, or leaping crane, or (god help you) taming mace.
Taming the Mace I've done. Not on purpose, it just happened.

Jeff
icon7.gif

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Try getting geared up as if for sparring, then simulating an attack you might have to face in a real situation, attacker continuing the attack as best they can. Is it sparring? <shrug> but you will see if you are internalizing your techniques or just imitating the kickboxers on TV.

Latest Discussions