US police fired over beating film

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I find it borders on necrophilia.

Sometimes i wonder just what the suspect did to deserve getting beaten when already incapacitated or trying to comply by lying down with hands on back..?? Reasons i can accept a flat kick to the head would be if the suspect shot at officers. If the suspect killed an officer, i can sortof understand a short beating like the above.
However, when reasons such as, 'the chase put our lives and the lives of civilians in danger' that is overdoing it i find. 'The ******* wrecked several cars and made us waste a shitload of gas...' totally ********. I mean, the cars belong to the state, the gas is payed for, part of the reason for becoming a cop is to handle danger and be able to deal with it. Like the guy who spurs the horse on and then pulls the reins. The excitement may be a tad sick in a sensationalist way, but it is human and normal to a certain point. To make up unfounded and unfair reasons to beat someone that is already out of commission is base and even criminal, i find.
Reminds me of people that get violent when they drink. So it goes, in vino veritas, the excitement is intoxicating.

Last edited:

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
For the department, this will keep getting worse..... seems they at first provided an only edited tape (without the beating) for the criminal trial of the driver, and the switch was only discovered by accident. So there will be investigations into evidence tampering and failure of supervisors who knew about the beating to take any action.

Naturally, the character who once could see life as a post flight felon has now filed suit and will be the newest legal system's version of 'Who Wants To Be a Millionaire"

A cop summed this disaster up well: Fifty years of combined service lost over 10 seconds of stupidity.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
However, when reasons such as, 'the chase put our lives and the lives of civilians in danger' that is overdoing it i find. 'The ******* wrecked several cars and made us waste a shitload of gas...' totally ********.

Ehhh...I wouldn't underplay the danger to the public regarding chases like this. If that guy had hit a van carrying a family....

And the guy did strike and injure that officer who was on foot at the beginning of the film...and it look like he was trying to run him over intentionally IMO.

BUT that doesn't make the beating of an unconscious man who was thrown from a vehicle justified.

I have no sorrow over the bad guy, but these officers got what they deserved...

PS: This is on a BBC site? Why is the BBC so fascinated with US law enforcement anyway? This is international news??

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
PS: This is on a BBC site? Why is the BBC so fascinated with US law enforcement anyway? This is international news??

I pull news from all over - you'd be surprised. Yes, it does often seem to me that the UK is absolutely fascinated about the USA.

Some of the things I've noticed - apparently, in the UK, everyone knows the names of the US states and where they are located. Often, a Reuters UK story will say something about "Denver" or "Omaha," etc, with no further reference - it seems Brits have a pretty good idea of how the US works, divisions, political systems, etc. We, on the other hand, have precious little idea of where Manchester is, or Powys (and I should know, it's my bloody kingdom) and don't pay much attention to what goes on in the UK.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pull news from all over - you'd be surprised. Yes, it does often seem to me that the UK is absolutely fascinated about the USA. Some of the things I've noticed - apparently, in the UK, everyone knows the names of the US states and where they are located. Often, a Reuters UK story will say something about "Denver" or "Omaha," etc, with no further reference - it seems Brits have a pretty good idea of how the US works, divisions, political systems, etc. We, on the other hand, have precious little idea of where Manchester is, or Powys (and I should know, it's my bloody kingdom) and don't pay much attention to what goes on in the UK.

No the we aren't fascinated by the US, the BBC has a long tradition of carrying news from all round the world. If you look at the sidebar you'll see the story and video are on the world section.
We follow news from all over and can tell you the states in Australia and Canada too lol as well as most of the countries of the world plus their politics. We even know where the Gulf states are and which is which. Oh and we know where Afghanistan is!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Damn shame when police lose their cool like that. Makes us forget the general good they do and who the real criminals are. What's funny is that if a criminal sues the police they're payout is going to be huge but when a victim sues a criminal, they're payouts are usually minuscule because most criminals can't cover large reparations.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1 - no excuse to beat an incapacitated or unconscious person.

2- most of the people I worked with in 3 of my last few jobs would be hard pressed to name all 50 US states, id the VP, or find their own city on a map.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
1) wow, not one cop tried to stop the others, or even hesitated to dive in.

to be honest though, this is one of the reasons i could never be a cop. i'd have a hard time not thumping the hell out of the guy too if he tried to kill me or one of my buddies.

2) several years ago, i found a terrific deal on a trip to ireland & a friend said he'd go with me. after we booked it i said something to him about how i wished we'd have more time to see more of the island. until then, he didn't know ireland was an island.

jf

p.s. i realize ireland is not the same as the UK ;)

jf

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
UK? Is that over by England?

-Rob

I dunno. So many people say UK is across the pond, but when I look across the pond and I just see the neighboring apartment complex. :idunno: :lol:

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
no smart guys, UK is University of Kentucky. that's where tez lives right? kentucky?

jf

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL okay tez, name the 50 United States (no cheating!!!)

Do they need new names then? LOL!

I've heard Kentucky is nice, my daughter's boyfriend worked there for six months for a horse racing trainer. None of us can understand though why you can't pronounce Derby correctly though lol! It's 'darby'!

Back to the subject in hand though, often in situations like this you will find if not approval by the others, often a huge reluctance to stop colleagues from doing something they would stop any criminal doing.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know that kentucky is is sortof shaped like austria. I know this because a friend of mine from there, pointed that out.
Reminds me, she also educated me as to what a turducken is, as well as the fine cuisine of stuffing a can of beer into the poultry.

About the police beatings,

Posted by Archangel M
Ehhh...I wouldn't underplay the danger to the public regarding chases like this. If that guy had hit a van carrying a family....

And the guy did strike and injure that officer who was on foot at the beginning of the film...and it look like he was trying to run him over intentionally IMO.
well, that's the problem with segments of video, you only get to see part of the story. I always try and understand as best i can all sides and motivations. Danger to the public, yeah sure, that is why the guy will be going to jail. If anyone thinks the justice system is insufficient and must be supplemented with brute violence...? i don't know if it's their place to do that. police are in a priveledged position. They should think up more constructive ways. Like beating a dog, the violence does very little good. Probably better to just shout. Not saying i could always do better, but i would try and come up with my own ways.

I mean, if the guy hit a family or killed an innocent bystander in his escapades, then the blood is on his hands and he probably will get more jail time, that is because of the justice system. Otherwise we don't need any justice system and coud hire a bunch of goons or private military to be the toughest baddest and all live under the guns.
I wonder how many of such incidents could be prevented if people respected the justice system more to begin with.

j

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
If the criminal had complied in the first place none of this would have happened.

He chose his actions: to assault an officer, to try and elude capture, to endanger innoncents in the process; therefore he chose the results of those actions and must accept them.

I have absolutely no sympathy for this idiot or any other idiot that runs from the law, especially when they endanger the public in doing so.

I don't condone evidence tampering, and I don't condone police brutality either but I don't feel like this guy should get rich off of this incident either. I guess I view police brutality as being "unprovoked." At any rate, the actions of the LE's involved should be investigated but this fellow got what he deserved.

When are people going to realize there are consequences for making a choice and when one makes a bad choice the productive thing to do is learn from it so you don't make the same bad choice again. Making bad choices should not equate to hitting the lottery.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
2) several years ago, i found a terrific deal on a trip to ireland & a friend said he'd go with me. after we booked it i said something to him about how i wished we'd have more time to see more of the island. until then, he didn't know ireland was an island.

jf

p.s. i realize ireland is not the same as the UK ;)

jf

When I first came home from several months hitch-hiking around Africa, I told an acquaintance about it.

"Africa! That's a biiiiiiig country!"

After spending several weeks giving classroom presentations and contributing to a book devoted to debunking Africa stereotypes, I just gave him a big **** eatin' grin. "Sure is!"

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, they speak Latin there. :rolleyes:

Latest Discussions