US Army Officer Allowed to Wear Sikh Turban and Beard

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And some do and some don't. Just like Jews and Muslims, where you have all varieties of belief about what is required.

Sure I can. You know for a fact, just like I do, that there are Orthodox, Hasidic, and other sects of Judaism that impose different religious restrictions on members of their faith. It's exactly the same thing.

What you're saying is that your branch of Judaism permits you to make some compromises and that Sikhs are not allowed to do so. But I tell you that I work with Sikhs who do where the Five K's and Sikhs who do not. So it is clear that not all Sikhs follow the Five K's just as not all Jews wear Payos. It's the same thing.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that I know a bit more about the rules of Judaism than you do. The looks and wear of Orthodox Jews are more tradition than religious requirement. I don't wear payos, but I do not violate any of the Mitzvot concerning shaving and cutting hair and beard. If a Hassid joined the armed forces, they could meet the requirements of dress with no issue. More inconvinience in grooming, but no issue. Religious Sikhs are obligated to not cut their hair and wear a turban. It's 2 different things. That you know Sikhs who do not is not proof that none of them have to. The majority of Jews don't wear a kippa. It does not mean it's optional for an observant Jew.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll go out on a limb here and say that I know a bit more about the rules of Judaism than you do. The looks and wear of Orthodox Jews are more tradition than religious requirement. I don't wear payos, but I do not violate any of the Mitzvot concerning shaving and cutting hair and beard. If a Hassid joined the armed forces, they could meet the requirements of dress with no issue. More inconvinience in grooming, but no issue. Religious Sikhs are obligated to not cut their hair and wear a turban. It's 2 different things. That you know Sikhs who do not is not proof that none of them have to. The majority of Jews don't wear a kippa. It does not mean it's optional for an observant Jew.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. You say the Orthodox Jews are only following a tradition, not a religious rule. You say the Sikhs are following a religious law, not a tradition. Both have members quite capable of choosing not to follow their (law/tradition) when they want to. So some do and some don't. It's a distinction without a difference.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. You say the Orthodox Jews are only following a tradition, not a religious rule. You say the Sikhs are following a religious law, not a tradition. Both have members quite capable of choosing not to follow their (law/tradition) when they want to. So some do and some don't. It's a distinction without a difference.

It's completely different.

Jews are forbidden to shave the 'corners of their head'. Until recently, the only way to follow that commendment was to not shave. Payos are just to highlight that. There are delapidants and electric shavers that can be used and not violate the commandment. We can also grow longer sideburns and tuck them around the ears. We wear a head covering when praying and reciting a blessing. Because an Orthodox Jew will recite a lot of blessings through the day, it's more convinient to wear a head cover all the time. A kippa is convenient because it is unobtrusive but any kind of hat will do.

Religious Sikhs must not cut their hair and wear a turban.

Latest Discussions