US Army Officer Allowed to Wear Sikh Turban and Beard

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.military.com/news/article/sikh-graduates-army-officer-school.html?ESRC=topstories.RSS

Sikh Graduates From Army Officer School
March 23, 2010
Associated Press

SAN ANTONIO - The Soldiers in standard-issue fatigues and combat boots stood side-by-side repeating their creed: "I am an American Soldier. I am a warrior and a member of a team. I serve the people of the United States and live the Army values ...."

Capt. Tejdeep Singh Rattan was no different except that he wore a full beard and black turban, the first Sikh in a generation allowed to complete U.S. Army basic officer training without sacrificing the articles of his faith. He completed the nine-week training Monday after Army officials made an exemption to a policy that has effectively prevented Sikhs from enlisting since 1984.

"I'm feeling very humbled. I'm a Soldier," said the 31-year-old dentist, smiling after the ceremony at Fort Sam Houston. "This has been my dream."

Interesting. The US Army's policy regarding religious articles worn in place of uniform items (such as the head covering) has previously been rather firm; it was not permitted. When I first joined the Marine Corps, the US Navy was permitted to wear beards, but it was banned again in the 1980's before I got out. I understand that the armed services of other countries have permitted beards and turbans, but not the USA to the best of my knowledge.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know what the policy is here for military; although, I suspect they permit turbans and beards. There was a watershed case involving the RCMP about twenty years ago. If I recall correctly, PM Brian Mulroney changed the policy, paving the way for Sikh constables to wear their beards and turbans.

rcmp_baltej.jpg
Sergeant Baltej Dhillon
In his 15 years with the force, Baltej Dhillon has worked on two notorious investigations — Air India and Willy Picton — but being at the centre of the turban controversy before he even got on the streets is perhaps his biggest claim to fame. After being accepted into the RCMP in 1989, he was given a choice: lose the turban or lose the job. His subsequent legal battle was victorious, of course, and in 1990, Dhillon became the first RCMP officer to wear a turban on the job.
http://www.mehfilmagazine.com/coverstory02.cfm

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
The idea has always been that of uniformity. Either we all wear beards or none of us wear beards.

I agree with that philosophy, but I also think some flexibility in certain circumstances is OK. Some soldiers are given shaving exemption when they have the ingrown facial hair issue. If them then why not a Sikh.

If someone from the Warrior tradition of the Sikh wants to fight in my Army the more the merrier I say.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
http://www.military.com/news/article/sikh-graduates-army-officer-school.html?ESRC=topstories.RSS

Interesting. The US Army's policy regarding religious articles worn in place of uniform items (such as the head covering) has previously been rather firm; it was not permitted. When I first joined the Marine Corps, the US Navy was permitted to wear beards, but it was banned again in the 1980's before I got out. I understand that the armed services of other countries have permitted beards and turbans, but not the USA to the best of my knowledge.

When I was in the former MA State Guard we followed general Army( and probably current general service-wide) grooming standards: No beards, Mustaches cannot extend below the upper lip, sideburns cannot extend beyond the ear.

The Navy tradition as I understood it was that you could grow your beard after you'd completed a round-the-world sailing rotation but only then. Seems to be gone now.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very happy to see this :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sikhs here have been allowed to wear turbans and beards since they joined the British army in the 19th century. During the two world wars over 80,000 Sikhs gave their lives for the Allied cause.

Sikh_soldiers_arriving_in_france_1914.jpg

French woman pinning a flower to honour Sikh soldiers arriving in France 1914-courtesy:In Flanders Fields Museum

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sikhs here have been allowed to wear turbans and beards since they joined the British army in the 19th century. During the two world wars over 80,000 Sikhs gave their lives for the Allied cause.

Sidebar to that wonderful story. The first Sikh immigration to Canada consisted of some five hundred males around 1905. Although British Subjects by birth, the Provincial government of British Columbia revoked their voting rights, fear they would vote for more human rights minded parties. Fast forward to WWII -- it was successfully argued that the Sikhs could not be conscripted because they could not vote. Having won that moral victory, large numbers volunteered for service. Alas, in the early nineties, the Royal Canadian Legion voted against allowing Sikhs to wear their turbans in Legion Halls, including Sikh veterans, arguing they have a no hat rule. Ironically, the no hat rule is suspended in Calgary during the Calgary Stampede, when folks can wear ten-gallon hats in the Legion.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good for him, if he wants to serve let him.

What if a woman wants to serve in a head-to-toe burka? I personally would have a problem with that. Nothing against Muslims or their faith, more about not having any idea who was in there; a person carrying a weapon in defense of my nation should have a face.

And that's kind of where I have a problem with this Turban thing. If you allow one on religious grounds, why not all? Shall we halt basic training five times a day so recruits can pray? What of those who practice voudon or voodoo or such?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The idea has always been that of uniformity. Either we all wear beards or none of us wear beards.

I agree with that philosophy, but I also think some flexibility in certain circumstances is OK. Some soldiers are given shaving exemption when they have the ingrown facial hair issue. If them then why not a Sikh.

If someone from the Warrior tradition of the Sikh wants to fight in my Army the more the merrier I say.

Shaving profile isn't permanent, even for people with curly ingrown facial hair. They are generally given a chit good for a short period of time, and then they have to shave again. If they continue to have problems, they're given a discharge. At least that's how it was when I was in.

Again, how do you argue against allowing a woman to serve in a head-to-toe burka if you're going to allow a Turban? What about Hasidic Jews, with the sideburns and the black hats and clothes? How about your basic yarmulke? Cloaks for the Wiccans?

I don't see how you can have a case-by-case solution that doesn't result in a lawsuit. I Googled and found a bunch of Sikhs who were not allowed to wear their turbans and beards; one back in the 1990's and one in 2001. What about them now? And they're saying this is a rare exception, so what about some Sikh tomorrow who gets turned down?

I'm thinking either it's everybody or nobody. Either we all wear the same uniform and adhere to the same grooming standards, or everybody can whatever the hell they want. I don't see how you can draw lines without being unfair and/or attracting lawsuits.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shall we halt basic training five times a day so recruits can pray? What of those who practice voudon or voodoo or such?

It would be interesting to know what Islamic law says about this. I know that Muslim soldiers are excused from fasting, for instance.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It would be interesting to know what Islamic law says about this. I know that Muslim soldiers are excused from fasting, for instance.

From what I've been told by Muslims I know (there are a lot of them in Detroit, by the way), they are excused if they cannot do it reasonably. However, there are different sects, just like in Christianity or Judaism. Some insist that they have to pray. I've had guys drop the prayer rug in a hotel lobby and block an elevator entrance because that's where they happened to be standing when their blackberry gave the call to prayer. How's that going to work for recruits who belong to a more conservative sect of Islam?

And you know, many Muslims wear various types of headgear as religious articles too. So will that be OK now? Guys wearing our uniform and serving our country and all you can see of their faces is their eyes? How do you check his ID? Samir, is that you in there, or is that Mohammed? Your military ID photo looks identical!

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
What if a woman wants to serve in a head-to-toe burka? I personally would have a problem with that. Nothing against Muslims or their faith, more about not having any idea who was in there; a person carrying a weapon in defense of my nation should have a face.

And that's kind of where I have a problem with this Turban thing. If you allow one on religious grounds, why not all? Shall we halt basic training five times a day so recruits can pray? What of those who practice voudon or voodoo or such?

Well the Burka Bunch isn't exactly bursting down the doors to get into the military so it's not an issue.

They guy is in uniform after all. So what if he's got something on his head.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The thing about beards in current police and fire services is all about gas/air mask seals, as I understand it. Or at least that's the justification given. I wonder how that worked out for this guy?

blink13

Green Belt
Reaction score
The thing about beards in current police and fire services is all about gas/air mask seals, as I understand it. Or at least that's the justification given. I wonder how that worked out for this guy?

The article said it worked just fine.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Islamic law says nothing about turbans, which are cultural. There are certain stipulations to hair/beard length that are gender based.

As far as US law is concerned, much has to do bona-fide occupational qualifications, how reasonable the accommodation and whether the accommodation was asked for to begin with.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Islamic law says nothing about turbans, which are cultural. There are certain stipulations to hair/beard length that are gender based.

As far as US law is concerned, much has to do bona-fide occupational qualifications, how reasonable the accommodation and whether the accommodation was asked for to begin with.

Understood. I was responding to Bill's comment about Muslims having to pray five times each day.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well the Burka Bunch isn't exactly bursting down the doors to get into the military so it's not an issue.

They guy is in uniform after all. So what if he's got something on his head.

You're sidestepping the question I asked. What if a woman did ask to enlist, but insisted on wearing a burka? As to the turban; in my Marine Corps, the uniform includes a uniform cover (hat). Not any old cover, but a specific one. So if you're not wearing it, no, you're not in uniform.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're sidestepping the question I asked. What if a woman did ask to enlist, but insisted on wearing a burka? As to the turban; in my Marine Corps, the uniform includes a uniform cover (hat). Not any old cover, but a specific one. So if you're not wearing it, no, you're not in uniform.

Latest Discussions