Upcoming BB Test

TwistofFat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Folks - I have my BB exam in two weeks (9/25) in a closed door session (ie - me, my instructor and 3 other 3rd+ BB's).

I have been heads down for several weeks going over techs, basics, forms, basics, etc. Any advise?

Regards - Glenn.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being that I have yet to experience a BB test, the only thing I can say is that I wish you the best of luck.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Likewise - I've never been through it, but good luck! And let us know how it goes.

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Relax I know it sounds silly but it's very important the night of your test, you'll move better and feel better. Most of all remeber your just showing them what you know so just have fun doing it. Think of it as a long and intense class and you want to make a lasting impression. :)

C

Chicago Green Dragon

D_Brady said:
Relax I know it sounds silly but it's very important the night of your test, you'll move better and feel better. Most of all remeber your just showing them what you know so just have fun doing it. Think of it as a long and intense class and you want to make a lasting impression. :)

Exactly, I couldnt have said it better myself.
Treat it as any other class and don't sweat it.

The big thing is to have fun and just do it

Good Luck.

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

B

bzarnett

I have to agree with the Chicago Green Dragon...

Enjoy yourself. Think of it as a class versus a test. If you make a mistake don't become fluttered just continue. If you test involves going through all the techniques and you make a mistake in part one of Twirling Sacrafice, don't stop - just extemporaneously handle the situation and move on.

I would rather see someone insert something into a form to get back on track or solve a problem extemporaneously than to stop cold and go "Can I start over". Attitude first!

From a health perspective. Don't drink a power-drink such as poweraid during the test. Water is best and only in little sips periodically.

And don't forget to breath!!

jaybacca72

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
all the advice the others gave you is good and as far as preparations go i used to take the first 2 or 3 techs from each belt level and train them and at the next session i would take the next few and so on. my advice is in kenpo don not memorize the order of the belt cards because there is a good chance the examiner instructor will change the order on you like i do to my guys.
how much prep time have you given yourself and what kind of conditioning have you done to last. personally my bb test was the hardest i ever did and probably ever will do it was gruelling for 5hrs.
good luck
later
jay

XtremeJ_AKKI

Green Belt
Reaction score
My advice merely echoes some of what was already said, and perhaps a thing or two that wasn't.

First of all, RELAX.

Second, have fun with it; don't think of it as a test, think of it as a chance to show them what you can really do. Be humble, but be confident.

Third, between now and then, visualize yourself performing at top notch on the test, and passing.

Good luck!

Mace

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Everyone here has given you some great advice, so I"ll just say best of luck. Remember, your instructor wouldn't have you up there if you weren't ready.
Sean

T

triwahine

Best of luck. Everyone has been making great suggestions for you. Take a breath, relax, do your best.

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
From what I've heard it takes a lot of energy. Work on cardio and start eating to build up reserves. Be very hydrated.

I won't say good luck. I'll say have fun :)

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glenn,

It sounds like by now all of your cardio work and physical preparation is done. You need to rest up starting at least on Wednesday. At that point you should just mentally go over your requirements. Start hydrating by at least Friday. Drink lots of water and power drinks and carbo load Friday too. I agree don't drink too much during the test. Take sips if you need to. Pace yourself! You want to show speed, power and control, but don't burn yourself out in the first hour - try to think about being steady. If you feel yourself hyperventilating remember to take a few deep breaths. Remain focused. Go into it with the attitude that this is going to be easy and fun because you know the material, but show confidence and do it as I was encouraged to "like a black belt". Don't allow thoughts like "I can't do this." Don't ever give up!!!

Rest up and LOL *horror* no MT after Wednesday... it's too distracting. Kick butt and don't be the only one going home with bruises that day! :uhyeah:

MJ :asian:

OP
T

TwistofFat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks folks for all the input and advise. I did a 'dry run' last night for about 90 minutes and was panting like a dog in the Carolinas sun - and I've been running 3 mile a day!

I will let you know how I do after the weekend - MJ, I will make sure I get a little payback during the test so I am not the only one leaving there bruised!

Thanks - Glenn.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TOF - you'll do fine! Best wishes!!

OP
T

TwistofFat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I passed. I need some time in a hot bath and plenty of pain killers.

It was a great experience that I am glad you only have to do once. Thanks to all for the advise - it helped.

Glenn.
I am going to bed.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :partyon:

Glenn, Awesome!!!!! Now go get some rest and remember to rehydrate!

:asian:
Georgia

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glenn,

WOO HOO! Congratulations Sensei Glenn! :partyon: Lots of Advil and go for a good massage - I'm sure you've earned it! You'll be feeling better in no time!

MJ :asian:

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
TwistofFat said:
I passed. I need some time in a hot bath and plenty of pain killers.

It was a great experience that I am glad you only have to do once. Thanks to all for the advise - it helped.

Glenn.
I am going to bed.

First off congrats,

What part did you kick *** the most and what part kicked your *** the most.

Latest Discussions