Up and Down motion!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was watching a sparring match the other day and one practitioner used the up and down motion to totally dominate in betwen using other strikes.
How many people use this regularly when sparring and what do you like or dislike about it.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was watching a sparring match the other day and one practitioner used the up and down motion to totally dominate in betwen using other strikes.
How many people use this regularly when sparring and what do you like or dislike about it.

Haven't used it yet. :( Hopefully some other folks have, I'd be anxious to learn myself.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Carol,

I use and teach this motion regularly. When mixed in with Downward Figure eights, side to side motions and abinico (wrist strikes) it can really give you an advantage because of the speed from A to B on a straight line. I hope that some other practitioners will give their takes on why they like this motion or why they do not.

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
hmmm, well if im understanding the "up and down motion" as its being directed here.. im only assuming we are talking about a high line and low line aggressive attack? Not sure exactly what were reffering too here.

One of the most common attacks as derived from JKD as the PROGRESSIVE INDIRECT ATTACT (PIA)...

when progressivly starting at one point (be it a high line or low line) and adversely changing in mid stride to the opposite line gaining a quick overthrow of the opponents ability to respond. Becuase action is faster then reaction in this sense. I have used this and it works quite well.. Not 100% effective however it does work some 85% or more of the times.

When having an opponent in a semi close range or stand up grappling range, and tied up, one of the better techniques is to strike low, then high to regain or gain a positive position of your attacker...
Silat calls this "PETJUT" known as a "whipping" motion..

It's more of a forward/backward motion but im certain it can be used in an up and down manner as well.. hope i helped here...not sure though.

possibly you can elaborate more on this

Tony Torre

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I use and teach that motion. We call it rompida. My favorite application of this technique is as a counter to a figure 8 attack. The way I most commonly use it is when my opponent is trying to close with me while hiding behind a continual figure eight. I shuffle slightly backwards and hit his hand. I like to couple this with an aggressive forward figure eight of my own, once I've gotten his attention with a good hand hit. If he retreats I'll run him over my own continual figure eights.

Tony Torre
Miami Arnis Group
www.miamiarnisgroup.com

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Up and down motion in Modern Arnis and many other Filipino Martial Arts is typically with an upward motion with the back of the stick and a downward motion with the front of the stick. Think of having a stick in your hand and just bringing it up and then back down. Or if you have a long knife (espada) then the back of the blade hits or the small bladed portion on the backside and then the downward motion comes down with the full bladed side being the focus for the strike.

Another variation is Rompida where you turn the stick so that where the front of the blade is will always be the focus for striking.

These two variations are different even though they both cover the upward and downward motion. I looked for some video clips and could not find any so if anyone has some it would be great if you could post them.

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
"ROMPIDA" Okay so im following this a bit more adversley here...

HIGH, LOW, HIGH strikes.. Feinting, or rapid attack from one line to another line..

When offensivly trying to overcome your opponent it is usually a general rule of thumb to "confuse" your opponent w/ speed, timing, and accuracy...not so much brute force or strength.. when sparring solo baston, the Angle #2 and Angle #10 (in some systems). Usually work great together to beat an defensive position.. One that really works well is a "PROBE" i like to probe the foot area by smashing the floor near the foot then retract w/ a redondo to the hand/wrist...then abanico high back to the up/down motion HLH attack.. this works well against unexperienced eskrimador or non-stick fighting person.. however a more stratigic method is in line for a more experienced eskrimador.. just my .2 worth...

have a good one
Guro Cory
www.imaa.proboards20.com

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Cory,

Thanks for putting in your .02 cents worth!
icon14.gif

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use this several ways.

A. I like to use it in an aggressive attacking pattern fitted in with other strikes coming from different angles then flowing into the up and down motion once they are concentrating on different angles and vice versa.

B. I like to use it against someone who twirls alot and just target their hand, wrist and forearms and the intersecting point.

C. I like to use it against someone who is just not controlling the distance well and allows me to strike at their weapon bearing hand in and up and down motion for a quick and immediate disarm.

D. If someone where to surprive me I might just use this as a defensive counter reaction to create space and regain control of the distance.

Lots of different ways to use it. If you have some more input let me know.
icon14.gif

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
interesting Points Brian...I follow exactly where your going here.. although i've not been able to pull off much of the "X" pattern motions in applicational sparring.. but then again its really not a particular movement i've actually put alot of time and effort in trying to perfect nor apply..Defenitly something i'll try to play w/ more. In Largo Mano range that is a very common pattern of movements correct? I know from training Largo we drilled this over and over with the angle's of attack..

But It's never something i've put into application. Ive always tend to stick w/ what works, which is sometimes a more of a hindrence when ever encountering a more experienced fighter. It's really hard to get in there when going full contact w/ the gear on sparring full contact at a high rate of speed to pull off and make them effective. Again this is a great point and sometimes in essense of it all hindsite is 20/20.

be well

Guro Cory
www.imaa.proboards20.com

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When you examine the diagram for the major striking styles, the Up and Down striking pattern intersects most of them. It is designed to protect and attack the centerline.

My daughter, who will be 4 years old in a week in a half, has been able to do much damage (to "Da Da") with this striking style since she was three.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use this several ways.

A. I like to use it in an aggressive attacking pattern fitted in with other strikes coming from different angles then flowing into the up and down motion once they are concentrating on different angles and vice versa.

B. I like to use it against someone who twirls alot and just target their hand, wrist and forearms and the intersecting point.

C. I like to use it against someone who is just not controlling the distance well and allows me to strike at their weapon bearing hand in and up and down motion for a quick and immediate disarm.

D. If someone where to surprive me I might just use this as a defensive counter reaction to create space and regain control of the distance.

Lots of different ways to use it. If you have some more input let me know.
icon14.gif

Sound a lot like we use as well. I like it, but it is difficult.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you examine the diagram for the major striking styles, the Up and Down striking pattern intersects most of them. It is designed to protect and attack the centerline.

My daughter, who will be 4 years old in a week in a half, has been able to do much damage (to "Da Da") with this striking style since she was three.

Yes, the up and down motion is good for offense and defense in my opinion. Actually I think it is one of the easier moves to pull off if you use it at the right moment. However, that is always the big if!
icon10.gif

Just think of it as bringing your stick/blade up and then down from point A to point B. This can be done in a quick one two motion or with multiple attempts for as long as you want. (of course as the situation dictates)

B

A

If no one has any videos then I will try and get some pictures up here soon.

Rocky

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Up and down attack/defence was developed to fight the Doce' Pares' type of fighters, Remy had watched them training on the beach and was trying to figure out a way to close in on them.

Up an down should be a very basic sparring technique tought in yellow to oraange belt area ( if you use belts ) it is much more largo and effective then rompida, as it alows you to side off of your opponent instead of squaring up. This technique gives a lot of my Pikiti friends trouble. Of course if you fight with all that protective stuff on or padded sticks it is pretty useless.

Rocky

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, I teach it.

Yes, I use it.

I like it and think that it is ignored by many until the begin to live spar then they find it themselves or remember it.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Remembering GM Presas...

The Up and Down striking style was one of the things that inspired "the flow."

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Up and down attack/defence was developed to fight the Doce' Pares' type of fighters, Remy had watched them training on the beach and was trying to figure out a way to close in on them.

Up an down should be a very basic sparring technique tought in yellow to oraange belt area ( if you use belts ) it is much more largo and effective then rompida, as it alows you to side off of your opponent instead of squaring up. This technique gives a lot of my Pikiti friends trouble. Of course if you fight with all that protective stuff on or padded sticks it is pretty useless.

Rocky

Rocky,

That is a pretty good point about all of the pads making it negligably effective. However on real skin and bone it works very nice!

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Rocky
Yeah, GM Presas loved telling that story. Thanks for that info Rocky.

Also, "Up and Down" is definitely a basic striking style. It's amazing seeing my daughter naturally flank my stick and guard to hit "Daddy".

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, GM Presas loved telling that story. Thanks for that info Rocky.

Also, "Up and Down" is definitely a basic striking style. It's amazing seeing my daughter naturally flank my stick and guard to hit "Daddy".

Basic but effective. This particular striking motion always catches someone who is new to IRT off guard when one of the older more seasoned practitioners uses it.
icon10.gif

Also to Rocky, thanks for the story it is always good to hear it again.

Latest Discussions