Up and Down motion!

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I use it. When I get students that start swinging wildly while sparring I'll yell out "up and down" to get them back to center. It works well at maintaining centerline and against horizontal and angled strikes. Sometimes I'll do just Rompida the whole match and see who can figure it out and beat it. Its very simple and effective.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use it. When I get students that start swinging wildly while sparring I'll yell out "up and down" to get them back to center. It works well at maintaining centerline and against horizontal and angled strikes. Sometimes I'll do just Rompida the whole match and see who can figure it out and beat it. Its very simple and effective.

Nice touch yelling out and getting them to focus on this particular technique.
icon14.gif

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At Kelly Worden's seminar Friday night in Bedford, IN, he talked about rompida and compared it to banda y banda and ocho-ocho. He distinguished it from up-and-down but mostly focused on rompida.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Definately Rompida and the Up and Down of MA are differant. (yet follow the same line) I personally refer to them both as Up and down but with two categories:

Up and Down or in IRT #s 18 & 19

1. Blade Forward = Rompida (blade forward refers to the blade being in the forward position during the entire movement. ie: turning it over to the attacking point)
2. Stiff Armed = Up and Down

That is just how I categorize them.

By the way how was Kelly Wordens seminar? I imagine it was great? Did the Northern Michigan guys make it? (Nate, Bill and Matt) Do you have any cool pictures to share?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wrote about it here. I only attended one of five sessions, regrettably, but had a good time and felt it was time well spent despite the 2+ hour drive!

Yes, I actually worked with Matt (don't know his last name) and Dan McConnell (Mao) for the entire night! I don't recall meeting a bill?

oosh

White Belt
Reaction score
This type movement is also found in Ilustrisimo, many of the attacks may come from below through missing or enganyo. The upward motion may be in the form of a hooking parry/slash/thrust or if the edge is turned upwards it is a media fraile.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oosh gald to have you here at MartialTalk and especially on this thread. I notice that you do JKD and I am assuming that you study Ilustrisimo Kali as well?

That upward motion is quite often a nice little move that catches them after you miss with the downward motion.

oosh

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey Brian, no idea where the JKD thing on my profile comes from lol ! Yeh I study Zu'Bu Kali Ilustrisimo (but I'm just a neophyte ;) ) over here in the UK with PG Peter Lewis. I really like the hooking upward motions aswell as fraile, works well with enganyo, I can attest to this as Peter picks me off at will :lol:

Not sure if you seen this webbys before:

http://www.yuli-romo.com/

http://www.zubu-kali.co.uk/

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen those website before. I have also had the chance to watch some movement by GM Yuli Romo and was very impressed. You should have a great time studying with one of his students.

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
When you examine the diagram for the major striking styles, the Up and Down striking pattern intersects most of them. It is designed to protect and attack the centerline.

My daughter, who will be 4 years old in a week in a half, has been able to do much damage (to "Da Da") with this striking style since she was three.

My 6 year old learned quite early on that the upward strike to the groin is particularly effective...

Agreed - it's a fundamental pattern because it protects and attacks the centerline. In other styles there are variations on this up/down theme applied to umbrellas wherein the "up: movement is done by the hand while the stick remains slightly angled out to intercept the opponent's strike. E.g., I've seen a lot of sparring matches wherein one person responds to a downward strike by lifting the stick into a sort of backhand umbrella/hanging guard (up). As the opponent's stick starts to slide off he will covert the parry into a vertical flywheel by snapping the elbow down and rotating the wrist (down). This can be done on the forehand side as well althought the mechanics of the second strike are different.

And given that the "up down" movement can protect the centerline, the same is true of any "down up" movement as well. Sometimes this kind of movement is not quite vertical but on a near-vertical angle. The following example shows how in this style the centerline remains protected against horizontal strikes (in the first of the three techniques shown, from 00:00 to 00:15):

In San Miguel Eskrima the "Banda" movement is done from a downward backhand diagonal to an upward forehand diagonal movement back along the same line. "Diagonal" is however a relative term: it's almost vertical in practice. "Banda" (bounce) refers in his system to the elastic quailty of a rubber band; the upward strike is supposed to seem (and often does) bounce off the ground (or look like it is pulled quickly off the ground by the elasticity of the the first strike).

It's also apparent that any "up down" movement can become an "up down up" movement, which means that a "down up" movement can become "down up down" etc.

O.K. ...definitely too much coffee..

Best,

Steve Lamade

Last edited by a moderator:

robertlk808

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I attended a tournament (Del Mar Annual Tournament) yesterday in which a player from the Leo Giron Bhala Na system (I believe) used the "up and down" strike rather effectively during his matches. I dont recall what he placed but I did enjoy many of the fights yesterday.

avm247

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sorry for reviving an old thread but wanted add my two cents. :)

Up and Down strikes, "Vertical and Radical" in Estalilla Bansuelo Kabaroan is something that we practice and use often. I have found that this works very well with a longer, heavier stick (Sencilla) and/or in conjunction with a bankaw (Compuesta).

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry for reviving an old thread but wanted add my two cents. :)

Up and Down strikes, "Vertical and Radical" in Estalilla Bansuelo Kabaroan is something that we practice and use often. I have found that this works very well with a longer, heavier stick (Sencilla) and/or in conjunction with a bankaw (Compuesta).

Nice post Anthony and thank you for sharing it. I have found the same as well.

Latest Discussions