Unsuccessful mugging on video

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting! The Good Samaritan's degree of helpfulness is unclear--it's hard to tell from the grainy video.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOL! YOU GOT CHOKED THE **** OUT!

that was awesome. i have to admit, if there were no cameras around i would have checked the mugger's pockets for cash.

jf

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't suppose that it is worth mentioning that the mugging victim pursued the mugger when he attempted to flee, wound up on the losing end for a bit, choked the mugger out finally, and left his luggage and personal belongings scattered hither and yon the entire time?

I don't have a doubt that the victim is brave and he did prevail, for which yay him.

In my humble opinion, he put himself at a great deal of additional risk by pursuing the mugger, not to mention abandoning his belongings to whomever might wander by.

"Man pursues mugger, gets shot"
just doesn't have the same sense of joy to it.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't suppose that it is worth mentioning that the mugging victim pursued the mugger when he attempted to flee, wound up on the losing end for a bit, choked the mugger out finally, and left his luggage and personal belongings scattered hither and yon the entire time?

I don't have a doubt that the victim is brave and he did prevail, for which yay him.

In my humble opinion, he put himself at a great deal of additional risk by pursuing the mugger, not to mention abandoning his belongings to whomever might wander by.

"Man pursues mugger, gets shot" just doesn't have the same sense of joy to it.

all very good points sir, a very good examination of tactical blunders. now stop raining on our mugger beat down parade!

jf

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score

"Man pursues mugger, gets shot" just doesn't have the same sense of joy to it.

A good point, another good point, victim lets mugger go and mugger comes back with friends and/or weapons, no thanks. Take him out right there and then and no worries in my view.

As said, it wasn't pretty, but is sufficed.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A good point, another good point, victim lets mugger go and mugger comes back with friends and/or weapons, no thanks. Take him out right there and then and no worries in my view.

I don't know what video you watched, but the one I saw showed him prevailing in the end, but taking the worst of it several times - after he went after the fleeing mugger. If he had lost one of those exchanges, it would not have been 'no worries', eh?

According to the news, the mugger did escape, but was later captured, and sentenced to 4-10 years in prison. We do not know if he would have been captured if the victim had simply stopped pursuing him, but by placing his life at additional risk, we do know that he did not succeed in holding him for police - so he incurred additional risk and got no reward for it.

From the strict point of view of the laws on self-defense, in most jurisdictions, the right to defend oneself ends when the danger ends. Let's play a game and pretend that when they tumbled down the stairs together, the mugger had been seriously injured. I doubt the police would have prosecuted, but I don't have any trouble believing that the mugger would have sued. Without the civil liability shield of 'stand your ground' self defense laws (if Georgia has one), he could well sue and might very well win.

As to the mugger coming back with friends - one might as well suppose that pursuing the mugger would have been to follow him right into those friends who were waiting for him in a car to make good his escape, etc. If we're going to propose outcomes based on no evidence, that is as good as yours.

I applaud the kid for fighting back. But he kept his property and the mugger fled. He won. Call 911 and get the cops. MARTA has emergency phones on every platform, supposedly manned 24/7 by emergency responders. I simply believe that pursuing the mugger was foolhardy, but brave. I'm glad the outcome was positive.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I applaud the kid for fighting back. But he kept his property and the mugger fled. He won. Call 911 and get the cops. MARTA has emergency phones on every platform, supposedly manned 24/7 by emergency responders. I simply believe that pursuing the mugger was foolhardy, but brave. I'm glad the outcome was positive.
Agreed. Pursuing someone who was intent to hurt you in the first place then changes their minds is foolhardy. It also changes the dynamics of the situation if you think about it. The attacker all of the sudden... became the defender. There was enough distance gap that the student was no longer in danger of his life and that he closed that distance purposely and "counter-attacked" the mugger (if you will) which put the mugger in a defensive stance... the two fought it out and the student came out on top by choking the mugger out... hereby endangering the mugger's life!
This is how it would play out in court of a civil suit against the student I would imagine.
To me Self Defense is putting as much distance between you and your attacker as soon as possible.

Yet the shock, fear and then subsequent anger of the initial attack played their roles and the student still came out ahead. Had it been me I'd probably done the same thing. One gets sick and tired of being a victim and tired of not bothering nobody/nothing and someone else wants to violently take something of yours from you. Forget it. It's mine and I'm gonna keep it... leave me and mine alone.
That's what I read between the lines of this particular video.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yet the shock, fear and then subsequent anger of the initial attack played their roles and the student still came out ahead. Had it been me I'd probably done the same thing. One gets sick and tired of being a victim and tired of not bothering nobody/nothing and someone else wants to violently take something of yours from you. Forget it. It's mine and I'm gonna keep it... leave me and mine alone.
That's what I read between the lines of this particular video.

I saw that too, and I understand the feeling, very much so.

I took it as a cautionary lesson for me to keep my priorities straight - preserve my own life, first. Preserve my property, second. Obtain satisfaction through retribution, maybe third.

I fully identify with the 'give him what he deserves' or 'a taste of his own medicine, ha ha' response. I get that too. One wants to see the underdog or the victim turn the tables on his tormentor. Heck, I'd probably have a hard time not cheering to see the CEO of some major bank getting a similar beat-down.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I saw that too, and I understand the feeling, very much so.

I took it as a cautionary lesson for me to keep my priorities straight - preserve my own life, first. Preserve my property, second. Obtain satisfaction through retribution, maybe third.

I fully identify with the 'give him what he deserves' or 'a taste of his own medicine, ha ha' response. I get that too. One wants to see the underdog or the victim turn the tables on his tormentor. Heck, I'd probably have a hard time not cheering to see the CEO of some major bank getting a similar beat-down.
Yes but it's dangerous... even with years of training/experience... which is why IMO, a Martial Artist needs to rise above their emotions and keep their head. Martial Arts is also about creating distance between you and the attacker, even if it means you're standing and the attacker is writhing on the ground or unconscious.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, I'm on the fence about this one. Great that he got his ... what, a card? back ... but ... it's a card. ID theft, yeah possibly, money theft most likely ... but ... it's a card, folks.

Now ... if he'd tried to take his kid or yank his shorts down ... those are things worth fighting for, IMHO.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea I am with Shesulsa on this let him go and call it in stolen and live for another day, fighing and protection is a fine line and one must know when to cross said line.

Latest Discussions