Reebok and the very offensive UFC t shirt.....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how offensive and divisive non Brits and non Irish know this is. If not withdrawn these t shirts could have caused fights bigger than the UFC, likely to Parliamentary level. people have been killed over less there. I know many people think Conor McGregor is British when he's not at all, as well as thinking Ireland is British.

Reebok blames 'design error' for controversial UFC Ireland T-shirt

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't know how aware anyone else would be of this. I would not have known it was at all offensive. Learn something new every day. That said, seems like an innocent mistake, easily corrected.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dear oh dear. What a cock up. How could anybody at Reebok UK not see that coming. Unless of course that naively had no idea of the historical significance. That would seem more likely.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dear oh dear. What a cock up. How could anybody at Reebok UK not see that coming. Unless of course that naively had no idea of the historical significance. That would seem more likely.

Yep wearing that in quite a lot of places would get you kneecapped at best, 'disappeared' at worse, not just in the Province either. Major cock up.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That is unbelievable. I bet someone has lost their job over this. I really hope someone out there isn't obliviously walking around wearing a t-shirt that basically states that Northern Ireland isn't Ireland. People have quite literally died fighting over that very same idea

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Reebok knows just about as much about geography or UFC as a UFC player would know what a flatlock stitch is.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When bombs are still being planted and people still being shot in Northern Ireland ( and sometimes in the Republic) and questions are being asked in Parliament about double agents being murderers, as well as the anger at IRA murderers getting away with killing people it's still too volatile for stupid mistakes like this.
The nearest thing I can equate to for Americans would be something like a slogan saying what as great day 9/11 was and how happy the UFC/Reebok were at the towers blowing up, yep it's that bad because the ceasefire/Good Friday agreement is that fragile something stupid can start them off again. People have been killed for less trust me.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would say simple mistake. I live in Michigan and most pictures on t-shirts of Michigan only show the lower peninsula (the mitt) and not the upper peninsula.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This actually reminds about the time where the North Korean woman's olympic football team walked off the pitch in protest at London 2012, because someone got the South and North Korean flags mixed up. I had a bit of a laugh about it at the time and certainly, with the north being a bit of a mad dictatorship it does add a little 'black humour' to the situation but if we apply this example to the t-shirt incident, can you imagine the trouble you could cause walking around North Korea with a printed shirt, highlighting the map of South Korea with the incorrect label on it.....

Fair enough, the issue doesn't directly impact on our daily lives but someone should have engaged the old brain and thought, I better make sure my staff get this right - countries that are divided into north and south generally have a bit of contraversial history surrounding their borders.

Ireland is a country where seemingly trivial things like what football team you support, which branch of cathlocisim you're part of, the area you live in and whether or not you wear a poppy on Rememberence Sunday can be interpreted as a sign of political allegience.

For a bit of perspective; this is what happened when the Union Jack was removed from a parlimentary building in Belfast:

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say simple mistake. I live in Michigan and most pictures on t-shirts of Michigan only show the lower peninsula (the mitt) and not the upper peninsula.

It may have been a 'simple' mistake but the consequences of allowing that simple mistake out on to the streets I can assure you would have lead to bloodshed. I have lost friends and colleagues, indeed I lost my fiancé to the Troubles in Northern Ireland. I have been deployed in Northern Ireland and spent many years since working against terrorism there and here. if you think it's finished there, IEDs are being planted there all the time, shootings happen all the time, you just don't hear about it as much.
If the above video wasn't convincing enough here's the July marches, when the Orange Lodge marches, this happens every year as does the attendant violence, wear that t shirt during this and they will tear you apart, truly, not just abuse you tear you apart.

orange days marches in Northern Ireland - Bing video

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's pretty damn stupid on the shirt maker's part.

As for Conor McGregor - I don't know anyone who doesn't know he's Irish. I had always enjoyed watching him fight - but since I've been watching the TUFF show - I can't remember another UFC fighter so easy to dislike. What a complete asshat. Can't wait to see him get what he deserves. I'll leave it at that, lest I say something really harsh and undignified.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sure is a crazy world, Tez. Here in Boston during the late sixties, seventies and eighties, especially South Boston, there seemed to be as many Irish gangsters here as there were in any city in Ireland. And, man, did they have some "incidents". I knew them as a young man while boxing in Southie, then later training in a dojo there. I used to sell a lot of boxing equipment to one of Whitey Bulger's nit-wit hit men. I didn't know who he was at the time but knew he was dirty. He'd come to my dojo to pick up heavy bags, and hide his face because there were dozens of cops training there. It was kind of funny watching him squirm.

Used to a lot of stuff like this. Fortunately, from a safe enough distance.

Patrick Nee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And never once did any of us think of any of them as British.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure is a crazy world, Tez. Here in Boston during the late sixties, seventies and eighties, especially South Boston, there seemed to be as many Irish gangsters here as there were in any city in Ireland. And, man, did they have some "incidents". I knew them as a young man while boxing in Southie, then later training in a dojo there. I used to sell a lot of boxing equipment to one of Whitey Bulger's nit-wit hit men. I didn't know who he was at the time but knew he was dirty. He'd come to my dojo to pick up heavy bags, and hide his face because there were dozens of cops training there. It was kind of funny watching him squirm.

Used to a lot of stuff like this. Fortunately, from a safe enough distance.

Patrick Nee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And never once did any of us think of any of them as British.

It wasn't only gangsters in Boston, Noraid did a huge amount of fund raising their for the Provisional IRA, they raised money for arms and bomb making equipment, they arranged the shipping too. A great many 'respectable' people fund raised including police, politicians and other 'worthies' whether they all knew where the money was going and what it was spent on I'm not sure but enough people did. It was so notorious that in certain Protestant bars dotted around the UK cheers could be heard when the marathon bombings happened in Boston, that city is really hated by some. a lot of money did dry up after 9/11 but enough is still going to the Real IRA now to enable them to plant their bombs etc. There were at least four bombs found last month, two this month already.
You wouldn't have thought they were British because your Irish gangsters would have made it very clear where they were from, it also helped with the fund raising for the terrorists. I doubt you had many Irish Protestants in that area.

Will Boston still fund the Real IRA?

The Great Gigsy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Interesting post Tez, I was unaware that tensions still ran high between the two sides.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That ufc fighters can't wear their on t shirts offends me.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's business for you, it works for the UFC not so much for the fighters.

The rebock shirts are just tragic anyway. They are just an ugly shirt designed to take more control from the fighters and give it to Dana white.

4f1fc490-1f68-11e5-9110-63e11375f533_GettyImages-479063940.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They may have messed ours up as well. (Can't find a photo) but traditionally we should be green and gold. And they went red white and blue.

Latest Discussions