Universal Tae Kwon Do Brotherhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Is anybody familiar with the Universal Tae Kwon Do Brotherhood under Eugene Humesky? If so, what are your thoughts and opinions about this organization? I was first introduced many years ago while attending school, and thought it was a big joke. From what I gather, Humesky claims Master Rank in numerous organizations, WTF and ITF included, and claims membership in many non-TKD organizations. Overall I have a hard time taking any of his claims seriously. Just my humble opinion.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
Is anybody familiar with the Universal Tae Kwon Do Brotherhood under Eugene Humesky? If so, what are your thoughts and opinions about this organization? I was first introduced many years ago while attending school, and thought it was a big joke. From what I gather, Humesky claims Master Rank in numerous organizations, WTF and ITF included, and claims membership in many non-TKD organizations. Overall I have a hard time taking any of his claims seriously. Just my humble opinion.

No disrespect, and I do not train in TKD of any style or organization. I do know a few very good TKD practitioners from under Humesky. I have meet the man and he himself was humble. If you take his story at ace value he has been in TKD for a very long time.

Go train with some of top people, and or talk to him yourself. This should help you make a better decision.

:asian:

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I tend to shy away from people who report standing in multiple organizations or multiple arts. It doesn't mean that they CAN'T be all they represent themselves to be, but rather I look at it as a matter of probabilities. What are the "chances" that a person whose practice and/or loyalties are divided is going to provide all that he represents himself to be, ya know? I would let the advertising slide to one side and take some time to train with the actual person himself. Watch what he does and take your cues from that. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Saw the website. Thats quite an organized approach they have to getting certification through various organizations. Who is George I Petrotta? That name sounds familiar. I was also surprised to see something about getting Kukkiwon certification. Isn't is Kukkiwon policy only to certify in-country (Korea)? Beats me. I never COULD keep all this stuff straight.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

OP
M

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
He has almost as many titles before his name as he has ranks.:rolleyes:

Who you associate with says as much about you as anything else. The fact that he is associated with Humesky, and vice versa, speaks volumes about his credibility. The fact that Humesky would let himself be associated with such an obvious talent (major eye roll here) speaks volumes as well.

One of the organizations that Petrotta and Humesky claim membership in is the United States Martial Arts Association. I have been on the USMA website. There are more 10th dans who have founded their own styles than you can count. One that I found interesting is a style called Nel-Son-Ryu (I'm not making this up by the way), founded by a guy named Nelson. Of course he is 10th Dan in this style.

It goes back to what I said on another thread on having rank or certification, real or otherwise, in many different styles and organizations. One 10th Dan takes a lifetime to accomplish. How is two possible?
Anyway, I have met Humesky as well. Personally, I found him rather arrogant and full of himself. It could have been the weight of all those patches on his uniform:rolleyes:

I have been on the UTB website as well. Humesky claims membership in close to 10 different organizations, and claims rank in WTF, ITF, Chang Moo Kwan, and at least one Chinese MA organization. Draw your own conclusions.

Jion

White Belt
Reaction score
Heya Bruce...

glad2bhere said:
Saw the website. Thats quite an organized approach they have to getting certification through various organizations. Who is George I Petrotta? That name sounds familiar. I was also surprised to see something about getting Kukkiwon certification. Isn't is Kukkiwon policy only to certify in-country (Korea)? Beats me. I never COULD keep all this stuff straight.
George Petrotta is a member of the Dojang Digest, so you may have seen his name on a few posts there. Strange story time now...

A couple of years ago my instructor was contacted by a woman who was coming to college in this area. She was WTF, attempting to train for State or Regionals or something like that, and wanted to train with us. While we are not WTF, we agreed, and her instructor contacted us, and somehow Sungja-do was brought up, and Petrotta's organization. I think my instructor may have emailed Petrotta a time or two. I emailed Ray Terry to ask about him and his org, and was told that Petrotta was a respected member of the MA community, as well as the Digest, and that was about it. My instructor did join the ISA, to see what was offered, etc, and I ran across his membership cert the other day - looked like a bad inkjet.

I've had no real contact with Petrotta or the ISA - the posts of his I can remember from the Digest seem pretty straightforward, nothing untoward. So don't base any judgments soley on this. :)

OP
M

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bruce,

The Kukkiwon does not just certify in Korea. My 3rd and 4th Dan Certificates are from the Kukkiwon. My 1st and 2nd Dan Certificates are through Chung Do Kwan.
The Korea Tae Kwon Do Association (KTA) is the Korean branch of the WTF. That may be what you are thinking of.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
He has almost as many titles before his name as he has ranks.:rolleyes:

Who you associate with says as much about you as anything else. The fact that he is associated with Humesky, and vice versa, speaks volumes about his credibility. The fact that Humesky would let himself be associated with such an obvious talent (major eye roll here) speaks volumes as well.

One of the organizations that Petrotta and Humesky claim membership in is the United States Martial Arts Association. I have been on the USMA website. There are more 10th dans who have founded their own styles than you can count. One that I found interesting is a style called Nel-Son-Ryu (I'm not making this up by the way), founded by a guy named Nelson. Of course he is 10th Dan in this style.

It goes back to what I said on another thread on having rank or certification, real or otherwise, in many different styles and organizations. One 10th Dan takes a lifetime to accomplish. How is two possible?
Anyway, I have met Humesky as well. Personally, I found him rather arrogant and full of himself. It could have been the weight of all those patches on his uniform:rolleyes:

I have been on the UTB website as well. Humesky claims membership in close to 10 different organizations, and claims rank in WTF, ITF, Chang Moo Kwan, and at least one Chinese MA organization. Draw your own conclusions.

MichiganTKD et al,

Is it possible for you or someone else with your Korean Martial Arts connections to do something?

Can you find out if he does have rank in the ITF and WTF and Chang Moo Kwan?

This is not a defense of Humesky, nor an attack on you MTKD. I just wish to learn more than what is found on these websites, and not make conjectures, yet find out what is verifiable or not. I would just ask that you keep it polite and to the facts you find, no matter how bad it may look.

Thank you everyone for your time and efforts to educate me.

OP
M

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rich,

As per your request, this a list of credentials I found on the Universal TKD Brotherhood website that Humesky claims:

PROFESSOR HUMESKY'S RANKS:
- 7th dan ITF TaeKwon-Do
- 8th dan WTF Taekwondo
- 9th dan Chang Moo Kwan TaeKwonDo
- 9th dan United States Karate Asso.
- 9th dan World Ki-Do Federation
- 9th dan USMAS
- 10th dan World Chinese Martial Arts Federation
- Honorary Director Goshin JuJitsu Kai Federation

Grandmaster Eugene A. Humesky has trained under:
1. Grandmaster Un Yong Kim,
2. Nam Suk Lee,
3. Hong Hi Choi,
4. Sang Kyu Shim
To my knowledge, Dr. Kim is not and never has been a TKD Instructor. He is a sports administrator.

MARTIAL ARTS ASSOCIATIONS:
- The World Ki-Do Federation
- The Hosinsul Society
- The United States Karate Association
- United States Martial Arts Association
- World Head of Family Sokeship Council
- Cloud Forest World Chinese Martial Arts Association
- Martial Arts Grandmaster International
- International Tao of the Fist Martial Arts Fraternity
- The World MooSul Kwan Federation
- Modern Arnis
- The National Sungja Do Association

Again, draw your own conclusions.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Who wants a universal art. I'm sick of people trying to confine martial arts by making it universal, they think of it more as a science. Science has absolute form, and does not change qu9ickly or easily. Art has no set form, is everchanging and in my oppinion a better way to look at the MA. Just let us evolve and create our own arts. That's one of the greatest things about my school, our instructors, including myself, all have different abillities and ideas. gives a very well rounded view and training of MA. Of course there are the forms and set movements, but they are like our paints and brushes, they start us out, our basics, and then we create the best style for ourselves. That's my oppinion anyway.

OP
M

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good point.

What is the point of having, or attempting to have, an organization that tries to embrace all styles and arts? You can't have it all. Kind of like work. You are a doctor, or a lawyer, or a nurse, or a teacher, or a businessman. You can only focus your energy into one area.
Same with Martial Arts. You can't have it all. You cannot practice Korean, Japanese, Filipino, Chinese, and whatever. Each art has its own unique culture and traditions. And you cannot have an organization that combines them all. It can't be done. What would be the purpose? The best way, I think, is to commit to your particular art, learn it, then add to it eventually.
This guy Humesky and his organization is trying to have it all. It cannot be done, nor should it.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
Rich,

As per your request, this a list of credentials I found on the Universal TKD Brotherhood website that Humesky claims:

PROFESSOR HUMESKY'S RANKS:
- 7th dan ITF TaeKwon-Do
- 8th dan WTF Taekwondo
- 9th dan Chang Moo Kwan TaeKwonDo
- 9th dan United States Karate Asso.
- 9th dan World Ki-Do Federation
- 9th dan USMAS
- 10th dan World Chinese Martial Arts Federation
- Honorary Director Goshin JuJitsu Kai Federation

Grandmaster Eugene A. Humesky has trained under:
1. Grandmaster Un Yong Kim,
2. Nam Suk Lee,
3. Hong Hi Choi,
4. Sang Kyu Shim
To my knowledge, Dr. Kim is not and never has been a TKD Instructor. He is a sports administrator.

MARTIAL ARTS ASSOCIATIONS:
- The World Ki-Do Federation
- The Hosinsul Society
- The United States Karate Association
- United States Martial Arts Association
- World Head of Family Sokeship Council
- Cloud Forest World Chinese Martial Arts Association
- Martial Arts Grandmaster International
- International Tao of the Fist Martial Arts Fraternity
- Modern Arnis
- The National Sungja Do Association

Again, draw your own conclusions.

Sir,

My Conclusions. I do not know. When I meet the man in the late 80's he was humble. When I meet him again later in the late 90's or 2000 he was still humble.

You said he was arrogant, yet you have made arrogant comments here yourself.

You belong to a different organization, and it looks like a hatchet job to me by someone with sour grapes and trying to change the subject from his arrogant opinions. I could be wrong on this. Hence my question for the evidence of rank in those organizations.

Yet, I am keeping an open mind, as I do not know KMA nor TKD.

I asked if you could verify the Korean ranks of the ITF and WTF and CMD.

If you cannot this is fine. Please do not be arrogant and come across as if I cannot read and draw the same conclusion as you.

I have nothing to gain either way.

Therefore once again I ask anyone, to do the research and post it here. I do not have the contacts. I would not know who to contact or how to do so.

Therefore, I am asking if someone can verify the rank in those organizations.

Just that simple. I would like to know. I do not want to here people thinking out loud or bad mouthing. Present me with some evidence.

I agree that the website is questionable in the number of high ranks. Yet, I would assume cross ranking between the organizations. I cannot speak to this, as I am not in those organizations.

If you cannot or wish not to ask, then please provide me with the contacts, and I will ask.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Nathan:

".....I've had no real contact with Petrotta or the ISA - the posts of his I can remember from the Digest seem pretty straightforward, nothing untoward. So don't base any judgments soley on this. :)...."

Many thanks. I didn't remember him from the DD but I DO remember getting ISA membership materials some time back and thats where I remember the name from. Thanks again for helping me through my senior moment. A mind truely IS a terrible thing to waste!! :asian:

Best Wishes,

Bruce

K

kwanjang

It is indeed unfortunate that some folks will spout off before they ever take time to know the details of what they spew their garbage about.

GM Humesky is a gentleman in his mid 80s (not 50s), and he has practiced martial arts for longer than most of you have been alive. In fact, he is STILL practicing and teaching at the University of Michigan where he and his wife Assya are respected faculty or past faculty with Ph.D.s.

The only downfall this great gentleman has is that he believes in the integrity of all martial artists, and he is a collector of martial arts memerobilia. Hence he is a member of many organizations that are perhaps not living up to what they say. If it is a fault to believe that martial artists are honorable, I believe it is due to his innocence of what really goes on these days. He grew up in an era where martial arts and honor were a thing that could not be seperated. Unfortunately, this is no longer so, and perhaps GM Humesky is a bit behind the times in accepting this sad fact.

As far as certification is concerned, the man's home is like a museum. He has ALL of his walls covered with newspaper articles, certificates, plaques, and you name it that span a lifetime of no less than seven plus decades of dedication to the arts. I find it appalling that some of you folks who are still in diapers have the gall to attack such a fine gentleman just because he still believes that all martial artists are honorable and therefore their claims and promises are real.

BTW, his dahn certificate numbers are among the lowest (meaning he was there in the beginning) signed by the very founders of ITF and WTF. They are as real as real can be. He is just not a publicity seeker like GM Sell and some of the others who have such high rank; hence, his exploits are not known to many. Nevertheless, he attained his rank before many people whose rank is readily accepted, because their picture appeared in Tae Kwon Do Times. To think that this makes their certificate more real is like believing in those who wrote that the world was flat, and that Christopher Columbus was an idiot ready to fall off.

GM Humesky's UTB is HIS attempt to unify ITF and WTF practitioners because he always believed that the two organizations should work together to promote his beloved TKD. I for one am sad to see that the many students he has trained seem to have forgotten him. Alas, I have seen people in old folks homes who never even get a visit from their own family members from one year to the next, so this does not surprise me. Although I never studied with him (I teach Hap Ki Do), I try my best to make sure that this man is not forgotten. My students and I are very happy to include him and his lovely wife (who speaks no less than eight languages) in our activities, and we visit him at his home (which is always open to any martial artist) as often as we can drive the 7 hrs to get there.

Although I have studied martial arts for 54 years, I spend time with GM Humesky for yet another reason... to LEARN all I can from him. Even though I have not studied Tae Kwon Do for thirty some years, GM Humesky has a wealth of other things he willingly shares with anyone interested in learning. I take full advantage of his generosity, and it sure looks like some of you on this forum could learn something about humility and respect from this fine gentleman.

I have taken time to write this post in his defense, because I know that the man himself would never spend time doing something so worthless of his efforts. You see, he would much rather spend the time he has left teaching and continuing his work to spread brotherhood among martial artists... yes, even those who belittle him.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kwanjang said:
It is indeed unfortunate that some folks will spout off before they ever take time to know the details of what they spew their garbage about.

GM Humesky is a gentleman in his mid 80s (not 50s), and he has practiced martial arts for longer than most of you have been alive. In fact, he is STILL practicing and teaching at the University of Michigan where he and his wife Assya are respected faculty or past faculty with Ph.D.s.

The only downfall this great gentleman has is that he believes in the integrity of all martial artists, and he is a collector of martial arts memerobilia. Hence he is a member of many organizations that are perhaps not living up to what they say. If it is a fault to believe that martial artists are honorable, I believe it is due to his innocence of what really goes on these days. He grew up in an era where martial arts and honor were a thing that could not be seperated. Unfortunately, this is no longer so, and perhaps GM Humesky is a bit behind the times in accepting this sad fact.

As far as certification is concerned, the man's home is like a museum. He has ALL of his walls covered with newspaper articles, certificates, plaques, and you name it that span a lifetime of no less than seven plus decades of dedication to the arts. I find it appalling that some of you folks who are still in diapers have the gall to attack such a fine gentleman just because he still believes that all martial artists are honorable and therefore their claims and promises are real.

BTW, his dahn certificate numbers are among the lowest (meaning he was there in the beginning) signed by the very founders of ITF and WTF. They are as real as real can be. He is just not a publicity seeker like GM Sell and some of the others who have such high rank; hence, his exploits are not known to many. Nevertheless, he attained his rank before many people whose rank is readily accepted, because their picture appeared in Tae Kwon Do Times. To think that this makes their certificate more real is like believing in those who wrote that the world was flat, and that Christopher Columbus was an idiot ready to fall off.

GM Humesky's UTB is HIS attempt to unify ITF and WTF practitioners because he always believed that the two organizations should work together to promote his beloved TKD. I for one am sad to see that the many students he has trained seem to have forgotten him. Alas, I have seen people in old folks homes who never even get a visit from their own family members from one year to the next, so this does not surprise me. Although I never studied with him (I teach Hap Ki Do), I try my best to make sure that this man is not forgotten. My students and I are very happy to include him and his lovely wife (who speaks no less than eight languages) in our activities, and we visit him at his home (which is always open to any martial artist) as often as we can drive the 7 hrs to get there.

Although I have studied martial arts for 54 years, I spend time with GM Humesky for yet another reason... to LEARN all I can from him. Even though I have not studied Tae Kwon Do for thirty some years, GM Humesky has a wealth of other things he willingly shares with anyone interested in learning. I take full advantage of his generosity, and it sure looks like some of you on this forum could learn something about humility and respect from this fine gentleman.

I have taken time to write this post in his defense, because I know that the man himself would never spend time doing something so worthless of his efforts. You see, he would much rather spend the time he has left teaching and continuing his work to spread brotherhood among martial artists... yes, even those who belittle him.

Rudy,

Thank You for your information.

I am not questioning this mans honor. I just would like to see it put to rest. This is why I asked for someone to investigate the ranks in the organizations.

Best Regards

K

kwanjang

Rich Parsons said:
No disrespect, and I do not train in TKD of any style or organization. I do know a few very good TKD practitioners from under Humesky. I have meet the man and he himself was humble. If you take his story at ace value he has been in TKD for a very long time.

Go train with some of top people, and or talk to him yourself. This should help you make a better decision.

Hello Rich:
From the above, it is easy to see that YOU meant no disrespect from the onset of this discussion. In fact, your last sentence is precisely what I talk about. Others seem to have made comments apparently without having taken your advise to seek him out or train with his people. My hat off to you for giving good advise.:)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello Rudy, No disrespect here... I just ask myself how many organizations can one man belong to, now days you have to ask, so many false one's out there, I hope I did not disrespect anybody or hurt anyone..... God Bless America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions