Grand Master Moo Yong Yun

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just curious how many of you are currently or have ever trained with a school affiliated with Grand Master Moo Yong Yun?

B

bluespacething

I know this is an old thread...but I'm just looking through all the threads. I train at a school that he started up. Northwest Martial Arts in Fargo, ND...he passed it on to Master Roy Gilbertson. I actually train at the college and we are affiliated with Northwest. I'm pretty sure he still lives in the Fargo area...but I have never met him.

OP
P

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What belt are you? I actually started at Northwest TKD training with Master Roy at MSU back in 1992.

B

bluespacething

I'm a brown belt...but I don't really get to train at the main gym...I train at MSUM and we test at Northwest on main.

OP
P

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I actually train with Master Jim now at Red River TKD, I have been with him since 1994.

I am a Red belt, I took a few years off after I got married.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello, I currently train at MSU with bluespacething, i'm a red belt. I also studied tkd as a child in my hometown...the instructor drove from fargo twice a week, originally we were affiliated with northwest...but when master jim formed red river my instructor went with him so i earned my last few ranks through red river. when i came back to msum i started over as a white belt...oddly enough, a black belt from another school came to msum as a freshman last year and he's of korean ancestry and i was talking to him and i brought up grandmaster yun...he kinda looked at me funny...apparently his dad was his instructor and his name happened to be moo yung yun...i don't believe there is any relation...just kinda weird coincidence

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yes...and mr. eric, i think his last name was larson...but like i said that was like eight years ago so i'm not exactly sure...but yeah, mr. don and mr. eric...and you'll see me in the red river dojang sometimes because that's where i train for judo during the summer(usually on fridays)

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i was kind of hoping more people would respond to this, it be interesting to hear from other people that trace their taekwondo back to grandmaster yun...

OP
P

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I won't be back at class myself until September, I do go on Tuesday and Thursay to bring my son (5 yrs old)

Maybe I will stop in on a friday and say hi!

PS: I have ahd the honor of training with Grand Master Yun on 2 separate occasions, and have met him a few other times. He is simply amazing.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes...i met him once when i was ten years old at summer camp...he has quite the presence...Like i said i was only ten...and he was just wearing a windsuit and i didn't really have any idea who he was then...but when he talked...you listened...and i may/may not be there this tuesday because there may/may not be a judo promotion test...

OP
P

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My son (5 years old) got to meet him for the first time last night.. Grand Master Yun decided to surprise the kids class and come in for about 15-20 minutes and say Hi and do some kicking with them.

I have met him 4 or 5 times, but it is still an honor just to see him!

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Was Grand Master Yun on the cover of Taekwondo Times many years ago? I think he was Sang Moo Kwan?

TIA!

Miles

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aha! So you're the one...

I tried to order a back copy of that issue a while ago, and there aren't any more available. Oh well, I think you have it up in your school don't you. I know you have some memorabilia up on the walls.

J

Jim Tindell

Wow. I'm a newcomer to the boards, and I found this thread.

Grand Master Yun trained my Master Instructor Duane Most. I have worked with Master Jim from Fargo on several occasions, and he was recently at our annual tournament here in Wisconsin. Always a pleasure working with him, he is quite the individual.

I've only met Grand Master Yun once, and that was also at a summer camp. BigNick, I'm wondering if this was at the same camp? He was wearing a windsuit, and paying kids who did good backspins, hahah. We also played volleyball afterwards.

OP
P

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
BigNick give me a call, I might be able to get you one of the back issue's

979-1053 Brian

Latest Discussions