M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Jay Bell

As I said above, Count Kuma was from Kodokan Judo, not Jujutsu
It said judo AND jujitsu

OP
M

MartialArtist

2,000 years before Christ, a fighting style emerged which did not involve violence or the use of weapons. This style, known as Jiu-Jitsu, is considered to be the oldest martial art and the most perfect form of self-defense. The origin of Jiu-Jitsu can be traced back to India and the Buddist Monks. It's development was of a scientific nature, whereas an individual relied on balance, pressure points, leverage and the center of gravity to execute specific movements in order to defend themselves with minimal effort. During the forthcoming years, Jiu-Jitsu spread throughout Asia and eventually into Japan where it continued to be nurtured. It is from Jiu-Jitsu that many modern martial arts have been born, including what we know today as Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I realize what it said. That information is wrong. Maeda studied with the Kodokan. Jujutsu is not a school of martial arts. No one studies "Jujutsu"...if at all, they study a specific school(s) of Jujutsu. It would be as vague as saying "Karate" or "Wushu". Example...Kito ryu would be a school that Judo based some knowledge from.

You are listening to people that trace their style back 2,000 years before christ...yet the term Jujutsu didn't surface until the Meiji Period? Jujutsu is a Japanese term. Therefore it would be impossible for "Jujutsu" to be older then the nation itself. Concepts of joint-locks does not Jujutsu make.

Wonders never cease

Sidenote: Maeda did study Tenshin Shinyo ryu Jujutsu (some sources say anyway) in his youth, but there is no evidence or technique that would give the impression that this knowledge was passed down into what is today Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

OP
M

Master of Blades

Lol Jay Bell is one cool dude.............

Anyway, I think if your gonna rate the top ten Martial Arts in the world then it would have to opinion based because of whats allready been said, like the whole too differant aspects. If it was personal opinion my top 4 would be

1: Wing Chun
2: Kali
3: Hapkido
4: BJJ

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by The Opal Dragon

I saw the Ultimate Top 10 too. I agree with all of you who say it's impossible to rate martial arts because they are all so different (yet the same in some aspects)! I wonder who came up with that list and how they came by the results.

Despite that, I was quite pleased and surprised to see Aikido up there. Especially since it passed up something as popular as TKD!:D

Robyn :asian:

Yeah, it was cool to see Shaolin Kung Fu at the top, but what a broad statement to make!! Shoalin Kung Fu? Boy that encompases alot!! I think its safe to say, none of us appreciated the show!!:D

7sm

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by 7starmantis

Yeah, it was cool to see Shaolin Kung Fu at the top, but what a broad statement to make!! Shoalin Kung Fu? Boy that encompases alot!! I think its safe to say, none of us appreciated the show!!:D

7sm

I didn't think the show was accurate to even make a list like that but I still really enjoyed watching the show and seeing the martial arts. They should have just had something like an hour or two about martial arts with accurate info about it and just forget the whole thing about a "list".

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I didn't think the show was accurate to even make a list like that but I still really enjoyed watching the show and seeing the martial arts. They should have just had something like an hour or two about martial arts with accurate info about it and just forget the whole thing about a "list".

Yeah, that would have been ALOT better. Everyone is so freaking competative nowdays, they all want to make a list, who is better than who. ITs kind of rediculous.

7sm

OP
T

tonbo

Hey, really simple. No brainer, even. The ULTIMATE martial art is.....

*drum roll*

The one that works for *you*.

Shoulda seen that coming, huh? Yeah, "my art is better than your art".....and "my instructor can beat up your instructor".....all that crap is pointless. What matters is what works when it has to. Whether it is "glock-fu", or "nike-do", or "whup-a$$-jutsu", does it really matter?

The old joke goes: There are two kinds of people in this world....those that divide people into two groups, and those that don't.

Well, there are those that spend their time worrying about what the top ten martial arts in the world are, and in what order (WHERE do they get their decisions??), and then there are those that are spending their time working on their art.

Top ten list of MA......sheeeesh, gimme a break. (Not literally!) :rolleyes:

Peace--

OP
M

MartialArtist

I realize what it said. That information is wrong. Maeda studied with the Kodokan. Jujutsu is not a school of martial arts. No one studies "Jujutsu"...if at all, they study a specific school(s) of Jujutsu. It would be as vague as saying "Karate" or "Wushu". Example...Kito ryu would be a school that Judo based some knowledge from.

You are listening to people that trace their style back 2,000 years before christ...yet the term Jujutsu didn't surface until the Meiji Period? Jujutsu is a Japanese term. Therefore it would be impossible for "Jujutsu" to be older then the nation itself. Concepts of joint-locks does not Jujutsu make.

Wonders never cease

Sidenote: Maeda did study Tenshin Shinyo ryu Jujutsu (some sources say anyway) in his youth, but there is no evidence or technique that would give the impression that this knowledge was passed down into what is today Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
The term did no exist but neither did "dinosaur" until the 1800's. The term TKD didn't exist in the 1950's, TKD was a name to unite many schools. Started by the monks in India millenia ago, Jiu-Jitsu is the base of all martial art systems.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*sigh* Okay..let's try this again..

The fact that there was joint locking before Japan's creation does not mean that Jujutsu existed before it's time.

It was be a *gross* assumption to say that Jujutsu is the base of all schools of thought concerning martial arts. There are many arts that have no line influence from Asia...the ancient Russian systems being but a many.

If someone was to half-assedly create a link between Japan and anywhere, it would be China. I've watched Chi Na methods that were extremely similar to the Kihon Happo from Gyokko ryu and other joint manipulation found in Kukishin ryu Dakentaijutsu and Takagi Yoshin ryu...however, even those *direct* methods were Japan-ized to become what they are today (and were 600 years ago).

To put it plainly, you cannot correctly make gross exaggerations like that. To do so is nothing but mere guesswork.

Thank you for your analogies...I guess it's a good thing we aren't speaking of TKD or dinosaurs, eh?

PS - It is Jujutsu....Jiu Jitsu is a romanji error

OP
M

MartialArtist

*sigh* Okay..let's try this again..

The fact that there was joint locking before Japan's creation does not mean that Jujutsu existed before it's time.

It was be a *gross* assumption to say that Jujutsu is the base of all schools of thought concerning martial arts. There are many arts that have no line influence from Asia...the ancient Russian systems being but a many.

If someone was to half-assedly create a link between Japan and anywhere, it would be China. I've watched Chi Na methods that were extremely similar to the Kihon Happo from Gyokko ryu and other joint manipulation found in Kukishin ryu Dakentaijutsu and Takagi Yoshin ryu...however, even those *direct* methods were Japan-ized to become what they are today (and were 600 years ago).

To put it plainly, you cannot correctly make gross exaggerations like that. To do so is nothing but mere guesswork.

Thank you for your analogies...I guess it's a good thing we aren't speaking of TKD or dinosaurs, eh?

PS - It is Jujutsu....Jiu Jitsu is a romanji error
Nope, none of those were my words. I think they were excerpts from A Lion's Dream, the Story of Mitsuyo Maeda.

Also note that Maeda was making a Japanese colony in Brazil where other versions of arts may have influenced the Gracie's

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I just saw this show and I jumped on to make a thread. I see there are two so I will stick with this original one. I agree with what Opal Dragon says. There was an older show that was a 2hr compilation of Martial Art demos, and I enjoyed that too. I think I taped it 2yrs ago.

I enjoyed seeing demos of the different styles. I personally think that the Chi/Qi stuff that was demonstrated in Juko-Kai, Shaolin Kung Fu and wherever else is something I want to investigate more.

I didn't agree with the list entirely, I think American Kenpo has it all over Krav Maga, but I do think you can argue that a/the Shaolin System belongs near the top.

I think the list was based on conflicting criteria such as
1. who spread their art the most
2. which are developed the practicioner spiritually
3. which art lets you take the most punnishment and develops Chi
4. whic art is most effective in single combat

Anyone who likes, please send me an email and a link to systems/websites that discuss Qi/Chi. I have wanted to look into this for some time. Thanks.
:asian:

Latest Discussions