Ultimate Fighter Reality Show

OP
K

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Before last night show, I wasn't a big Chris Leben fan. I think he is going to kill Josh K. And yes he did look like a kid on Christmas morning, when told of the fight. I bet Josh comes up with a way not to fight Chris. Maybe a training injury?

J

JDenz

You have to look at it from there point of view as well though. Bobby seemed to be friends with the candian guy that got kicked off the show. Cris pissed on his bed he has been on everyones nerves throughout the show. I am pretty sure that Bobby and Josh are just tired of him and all of his sh** I think that we would all feel that way trapped in a house with someone we hate. Not only that for two weeks Chris has been calling Josh out and talking about him. I mean how would anyone react under theose circumstances espically after drinking. BTW I know Chris and Josh are fighting I was just assuming that Chris won, :wink wink: and I am looking forward to Diaz and Leben (they are the same weight class)

WilliamJ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Chris is no angel, but his trash talk has always been limited to fighting. He never seemed to make it personal.

R

RSJ

Actually, about seperating the guys into two houses, from a t.v producer's perspective that would be a wholly bad idea. The ratings will probably be at an all-time high now, with all this new drama. Look at the buzz it's even causing here. My God, this must be what Survivor is like for people. I never got hooked on any reality show until this one.

Liddel's training session for conditioning with his boys looked an awful lot like my wrestling practice. They did bear-crawls and walking along with weights and squatting. Only, at my practice, we use a partner as weight. Trust me, the stuff they did is killer if you've never done it before. On a side note, I never realized how in-shape wrestlers were until I began training with them.

Leben and Sanchez; heh, you speak as if Leben beating Koscheck is a foregone conclusion. You know what ? I bet it is. I suspect Koscheck is going to get mangled badly. Leben broke the jaw of his last opponent before the show in a slug-fest. I bet something like that will happen to Koscheck. My gut feeling is that this is a stage for Leben (an accomplished amatuer MMA guy) to be taken up to the next level. In all seriousness, which middleweight is even close to his calibur ? He's fought sixteen times before this and holds a lot of belts including the sportfight 185 lbs division. Nate Quarry is the next-best and then Diego or Kenny Florian. Truth be told, Leben is the best in the house. Koscheck has fought all of two times that I know of. Leben is the middleweight contract-winner, IMO. The question is, who makes it for the light-heavies ? No one stands out to me. Southworth suprisingly has a large record, including a loss to Vitor Belfort in Pride 13. He may go far. As for the rest, I don't really know.

R

RSJ

Jesus, he was SMILING and seemed to be laughing for joy. I could practically smell Koscheck's fear through my T.V. He had the 'Oh F***' look in his eyes. Koscheck will probably do everything he legally can to make in out alive. Hell, he probably is gonna hide some brass kuncks or something in his trunks. I could tell right away that Leben isn't someone you push around. Unlike the others, he isn't scared. He actually wants to fight. I can't say the same for the others.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
No doubt he was thrilled. Didn't he even say that it was the best thing they could have told him? He *so* wants to beat someone up and now he's going to get his chance. I haven't really cared for his general attitude and trash-talking, but if he can back that all up in the fight next week, I'll give him credit for being able to do what he says.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, put it this way, he wanted Koscheck BEFORE he poured water on him, AFTER he wanted to kill another human being (Mr. Bobby).

I remember when they were all sparring before teams were selected, he knocked Josh on his @$$....during sparring.....

It should be good...

S

SammyB57

RSJ said:
Actually, about seperating the guys into two houses, from a t.v producer's perspective that would be a wholly bad idea. The ratings will probably be at an all-time high now, with all this new drama. Look at the buzz it's even causing here. My God, this must be what Survivor is like for people. I never got hooked on any reality show until this one.

Southworth suprisingly has a large record, including a loss to Vitor Belfort in Pride 13. He may go far. As for the rest, I don't really know.
They should at least give them seperate sleeping quarters with locks or something so no spritzing or hose-downs occur.

Leben is probably the middleweight winner and Tito Ortiz replacement. If Ortiz goes to Pride, they have a perfect replacement in Leben. Boisterous, crazy, and relentless, he'll bring in fans.

Southworth is the most experienced fighter, but that kind of plays against him. He's too old to have much of a career left. I could be wrong (look at Randy), but he's like 36. Unlike Randy, he's only been training since his mid-20s as I understand it. Randy was wrestling since he was in diapers. That makes it a little different. I like Forrest and Mike Schwick. Schwick will make it far, but probably won't win. Forrest has a good chance.

I wonder how Quarry's injury will come along.

R

RSJ

Hmm yeah, Swick might just win it, but still I really still don't know.

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
Looking forward to see Leben v Koscheck (sp) fight. Koscheck and Southworth really went way off the edge provoking Leben, Koscheck may just have sealed his own fate...

Question ?: How badly did Leben cut his hand ? Will this injury be a detrimental factor ?

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
IIRC, he basically managed to slice some skin off the knuckles. I believe he had it checked out and told the coaches that it looks worse than it really is. So it might look bad, but I don't think it was really that serious of an injury. Whether or not it's bad enough to affect his fighting, I couldn't say.

kempo108

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i thought chris was going to come out swinging, but he didn't let his hands go. and josh stuck with his game plan very well. i thought i was going to see more action out of the 2 that hated each other so much.

WilliamJ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Another UFC style lay and do nothing victory, this is why I prefer Pride.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Again, it seems we had a classic "striker vs. grappler/wrestler" match. I'm not a professional, or even a seasoned fighter, but it seemed to me like Chris won the first round (landed more shots) than Josh. Obviously, Chris also had problems getting up once Josh took him to the ground, but Josh (who is supposed to be a nationally ranked wrestler according to the show's web site) couldn't get a submission no matter how many times he took Leben down--what does that say about him? Did Chris do well at defense (keeping Josh from getting the armbars, chokes, etc.) & just get tired in the 2nd round? :idunno:

Either way, as Dana & Randy said, you don't want to leave it up to the judges. IMO, Chris won the 1st round, Josh won the 2nd (but never got a submission, so did he really "win"?). I wish they had gone one more round, but what's done is done.

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Chris played way too cautiously--I think he was a little too conscious of his emotions getting the better of him. His defense and counters were good in the first round, I would have judged that round for him, Josh just got the takedown and tied him up. Chris also had a chance to win it in the second round when the ref stood them up, but he didn't get set quick enough and Josh nailed him with the double-leg. I would have liked to have seen another round, too. I was surprised, a much more boring fight than I expected. There also wasn't too much ground skill being displayed, I didn't see Josh try a submission, or Chris attempt a reversal. Chris tried a wrist lock once that was unsuccessful. Overall pretty dissappointing.

R

RSJ

Oh my God...I can't believe how crappy that fight was. Josh did very well from a technical standpoint but it was boring. Josh's takedowns won the fight. They were beautifuly executed, not that I'd expect different from a top wrestler. Chris should've thought with his head instead of his penis and worked for a submission instead of trying to hurt Koscheck which obviously wasn't working. Josh put out his neck like five times and he could've been guillotined or kimuraed. Ok, that's just me but I'm a submission guy myself and not a striker.

This show HAS to be rigged. There is no way a 4-0 wrestler with next to no striking skills should be able to own an 18-1 power puncher, and Leben's victories were against some tough guys. If Koscheck wins the middleweight contract, I will be stunned and dumfounded. Provided Quarry's ankle heals up in time, I suspect he will win yet.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was a bit surprised, too. Others seemed to have covered most of the points already. Chris didn't seem to go for a lot of strikes, so maybe he was playing it a little too cautiously, to keep his emotions in check. But if Josh was such a good wrestler, I'd think he would have done more on the ground. I totally understand the general concept that the man on top is in the control position, but I thought you had to do a bit more than basically ride the guy to win the rounds. Even though Josh was on the bottom, he never let Josh pass his guard. He couldn't reverse or escape, but he kept punching and trying to do some damage. Maybe he could have tried something else that might have worked better, but Josh seemed mostly to lie on Chris, give a few hits, and push his forearm in his face. Like others said, no real submission attempts either. They said that Josh was warned for striking the back of the head (I wasn't sure which one got the warnings when I was watching) and the ref stood them up for Josh not advancing his position, at least once. (I guess that explains why and when they do a clean break.) That's some indication that despite Josh's control position, he wasn't working it to his advantage. I haven't seen a lot of MMA competitions, so I don't really know what's common. But even so, I'm going to have to agree with WilliamJ and what Chris said in the show -- if Josh wins, it would be because he laid on top of Chris and squeeked out a victory that way. It did seem like Josh basically took down Chris and kept him on the mat, but did little else. I was a bit surprised that (1) there was no third round at least and (2) it was a unanimous decision for Josh. As I said, I thought you needed to do a bit more than ride your opponent to win rounds. But I'm too new to this stuff, so what do I know? *shrug*

Latest Discussions