UFC Poses No Long Term Threat to Boxing

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some people are interested in things besides training for fighting.

The article made a good point in that alot of people send their kids to local karate classes or suburban boxing gyms and don't give the slightest thought to whether or not they can actually fight - its just babysitting or maybe excercise. Likewise, we have the "workout of the week granny" and the "overweight desk jockey" who really aren't all that interested in actually fighting people or developing skills for doing so, and just want to burn some calories in a more exciting way than running on a treadmill. Lastly, we have the "cultural warriors" who can be compared to civil war reenactors, who like the idea of being part of a long heritage and aren't necessarily interested in fighting the best they can.

Then there are the people who just don't know any better and think that chi blasts are the soul of sucessful self defense.

And let's not forget that there are those people who realize there is a large difference between MMA fighting (or fighting of any form) and self-defense. Those people will learn self-defense systems and not MMA fighting.

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score
From a Boxing Site obviously...

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/DHB/Horgan_072606.htm

"Well, it’s official: the UFC is now a mainstream sport in America. With the Mandalay Bay selling out for the Ken Shamrock vs. Tito Ortiz card July 8, it has become evident that the UFC is no longer the underground freak sport that it was just ten years ago. As a matter of fact, the sport is gaining so much momentum that some experts are saying it could lead to the demise of boxing! However, my fellow boxing fans, fear not. The UFC will NEVER and I mean NEVER pose a long term threat to the sweet science, and in this article, I will show the many, many reasons why."

One interesting thing he slaims is this bit:

"Just think about it: starting a boxing gym is a pretty safe bet to make money. In addition to having people who actually want to box, you have people coming just to get in shape. Starting a UFC gym is so much more risky because people won’t be coming in to shed pounds. Business would depend on hard core male fighters who would have to be willing to sacrifice a year of their life to learn enough to take part in a fight. "

Is that true? Is a MMA gym really that impractical compared to a Boxing Gym?

Lots of people show up at MMA gyms to shed pounds - and they are succesful, too.

MMA isn't just for people who commit their entire life to it. MMA is practiced by all levels of athletes with varying levels of commitment.

I don't think UFC poses a long term threat to boxing. I think NHB fighting sports REVIVED people's interest in regular boxing.

I know I watch a lot more boxing these days than I used to - I think my appreciate for no holds barred combat sports is what made the change.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lots of people show up at MMA gyms to shed pounds - and they are succesful, too.

MMA isn't just for people who commit their entire life to it. MMA is practiced by all levels of athletes with varying levels of commitment.

I don't think UFC poses a long term threat to boxing. I think NHB fighting sports REVIVED people's interest in regular boxing.

I know I watch a lot more boxing these days than I used to - I think my appreciate for no holds barred combat sports is what made the change.
I know I agree with that part VERY MUCH.....I see more interest in the SCIENCE of boxing today than 10 or 15 years ago!

As for Boxing (the business) it isn't threatened by the UFC....IT's threat came from how it has been mismanaged and ran over the last 20 years!

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
The UFC will ultimately supplant boxing. Boxing has been very stagnant or declining in popularity for awhile. On the other hand the UFC and MMA is growing and getting more popular by the minute. Plus the fights are just way more exciting with many more variables involved. Even top boxers have said that they do not want to get into the UFC. (they have already said they are not as tough) The UFC will continue to grow! (buy stock now)

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

I have to agree. It seems to me that It was Sugar Ray Leonard, Tyson, Haggler, etc. Then the 90's came around and well the greatest thing next to sliced bread was Hollyfield and the lightweights. But there was really no big draw........except poor Tyson, for what it's worth, will never be the Mike of the 80's. You know how it goes.........loose gannons and wet dynamite are sure to go off. Just wait for it to happen. When the "Big names of boxing" are doing WWE fights on PPV, well.....enought said.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know I agree with that part VERY MUCH.....I see more interest in the SCIENCE of boxing today than 10 or 15 years ago!

As for Boxing (the business) it isn't threatened by the UFC....IT's threat came from how it has been mismanaged and ran over the last 20 years!

I see his side too. I suppose you could say that anything that the MLB and NBA can do to screw itself it will. I haven't watched a basketball game since the '92 olympics and well............I only watched the 2 World Series that St. L has been in during the last couple of years. When Hertzog left and Torre took over, along with the strike......well. I am happy just watching my rugby and football.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What the?

This article dates back to 2006, why is it even relevent?

Because people are interested in the topic, I'd say. There are plenty of old threads that get jump-started because someone searching around in the archives finds something that seems to them worth continuing the discussion on. Looks like plenty of people here have something to say about the issue. Is there a problem?

Latest Discussions