UFC Poses No Long Term Threat to Boxing

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Andrew Green, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Kenpojujitsu3

Kenpojujitsu3 Master Black Belt

And let's not forget that there are those people who realize there is a large difference between MMA fighting (or fighting of any form) and self-defense. Those people will learn self-defense systems and not MMA fighting.

2. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Blue Belt

Lots of people show up at MMA gyms to shed pounds - and they are succesful, too.

MMA isn't just for people who commit their entire life to it. MMA is practiced by all levels of athletes with varying levels of commitment.

I don't think UFC poses a long term threat to boxing. I think NHB fighting sports REVIVED people's interest in regular boxing.

I know I watch a lot more boxing these days than I used to - I think my appreciate for no holds barred combat sports is what made the change.

3. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Blue Belt

totally true!

4. sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46 Senior Master

I know I agree with that part VERY MUCH.....I see more interest in the SCIENCE of boxing today than 10 or 15 years ago!

As for Boxing (the business) it isn't threatened by the UFC....IT's threat came from how it has been mismanaged and ran over the last 20 years!

• Like Like x 1
  5. matt.m

matt.m Senior Master

I have to agree. It seems to me that It was Sugar Ray Leonard, Tyson, Haggler, etc. Then the 90's came around and well the greatest thing next to sliced bread was Hollyfield and the lightweights. But there was really no big draw........except poor Tyson, for what it's worth, will never be the Mike of the 80's. You know how it goes.........loose gannons and wet dynamite are sure to go off. Just wait for it to happen. When the "Big names of boxing" are doing WWE fights on PPV, well.....enought said.

• Like Like x 1
  6. matt.m

matt.m Senior Master

I see his side too. I suppose you could say that anything that the MLB and NBA can do to screw itself it will. I haven't watched a basketball game since the '92 olympics and well............I only watched the 2 World Series that St. L has been in during the last couple of years. When Hertzog left and Torre took over, along with the strike......well. I am happy just watching my rugby and football.

7. The Elemental

The Elemental Yellow Belt

What the?

This article dates back to 2006, why is it even relevent?

8. exile

exile To him unconquered.

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Because people are interested in the topic, I'd say. There are plenty of old threads that get jump-started because someone searching around in the archives finds something that seems to them worth continuing the discussion on. Looks like plenty of people here have something to say about the issue. Is there a problem?123