...Yeah screw boxing. (I give up. I just realized how little I know. Long read.)

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
@Bee Brian I'm not reading this whole thread. But I read a few of youre post. The main thing that sticks out is how you're saying the squat is a symbol of your mental toughness. Here's the thing tho... its not. Maybe it is for someone else. But not for you. This is why I say that. It's easy for you, its something you WANT to do. So even if it's hard and a lot of weight its not about mental toughness at that point. To build that 'fighting spirit' ,as its referred to, you need to find the stuff your body HATES and do that. So for you that sounds like cardio. For me it was lunges, I hated them. I didn't wanna do them at all, hated even thinking about it. So I did them, a lot. Then I added weights. They still suck but now I dont hate the idea. My body and mind are stronger for that. To build mental and physical strength you need to find the stuff you don't wanna do. This is what your body(and mind) needs.

Side note: from a general fitness standpoint its usually better to lose weight and get down to a pretty low fat percentage THEN work on building muscle. You'll lose some strength as you lose weight. But you'll get it back when you start lifting heavy again. And you'll see the gains better then if you're over weight.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
@Bee Brian I'm not reading this whole thread. But I read a few of youre post. The main thing that sticks out is how you're saying the squat is a symbol of your mental toughness. Here's the thing tho... its not. Maybe it is for someone else. But not for you. This is why I say that. It's easy for you, its something you WANT to do. So even if it's hard and a lot of weight its not about mental toughness at that point. To build that 'fighting spirit' ,as its referred to, you need to find the stuff your body HATES and do that. So for you that sounds like cardio. For me it was lunges, I hated them. I didn't wanna do them at all, hated even thinking about it. So I did them, a lot. Then I added weights. They still suck but now I dont hate the idea. My body and mind are stronger for that. To build mental and physical strength you need to find the stuff you don't wanna do. This is what your body(and mind) needs.

Side note: from a general fitness standpoint its usually better to lose weight and get down to a pretty low fat percentage THEN work on building muscle. You'll lose some strength as you lose weight. But you'll get it back when you start lifting heavy again. And you'll see the gains better then if you're over weight.

Just did cardio two days ago. Knee hurt. You all seriously want me to keep up with something that'll injure me? I did heavy squats the day after that and knee pain was gone.

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just did cardio two days ago. Knee hurt. You all seriously want me to keep up with something that'll injure me? I did heavy squats the day after that and knee pain was gone.
No definitely don't do something that's gonna cause lasting pain. But sometimes discomfort is distorted as pain. Gotta listen to your body. I was just making the statement that if youre body and mind don't want to do something. Its because that's the way you're body is weak. And making youre body do something even as your mind is screaming to stop, thats how you build mental strength

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a lame excuse. There are plenty of ways to do cardio that won't hurt your knee. Off the top of my head: run on grass/less hard surfaces, jump rope, swimming, biking, mountain climbers.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yes.

So do boxing or grappling.

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
Mate...no one cares either way what you do...you do whatever you want but frankly that’s an excuse because your knee hurt after cardio but then the next day it was fine....so obviously nothing wrong with it if its completely fine by the next day. I’m no physio but I can almost guarantee the reason your knee hurt...your bodies not used to it so it hurt because you don’t use those muscles much. If you kept up with it then it’d stop hurting.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Mate...no one cares either way what you do...you do whatever you want but frankly that’s an excuse because your knee hurt after cardio but then the next day it was fine....so obviously nothing wrong with it if its completely fine by the next day. I’m no physio but I can almost guarantee the reason your knee hurt...your bodies not used to it so it hurt because you don’t use those muscles much. If you kept up with it then it’d stop hurting.

It's a sharp pain. And it's not discomfort from fatigue. It literally was a SHARP PAIN. That is how injuries happen. I was gonna squat heavy that same day but held back. It's what lifters do all the time. They call it "autoregulation" or listening to your body. One of the most common scenarios of injuries is when lifters start their warm-up weights and feel something weird, such as a SHARP PAIN, and still end up lifting heavy. THAT'S how injuries happen a lot of times.

My goodness... I'm the weightlifter here and YOU of all people have a worse case of machismo. Dude, you gotta educate yourself.

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's a sharp pain. And it's not discomfort from fatigue. It literally was a SHARP PAIN. That is how injuries happen. I was gonna squat heavy that same day but held back. It's what lifters do all the time. They call it "autoregulation" or listening to your body. One of the most common scenarios of injuries is when lifters start their warm-up weights and feel something weird, such as a SHARP PAIN, and still end up lifting heavy. THAT'S how injuries happen a lot of times.

My goodness... I'm the weightlifter here and YOU of all people have a worse case of machismo. Dude, you gotta educate yourself.
Whatever you say

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ah sweetie, I really do have that say that reading your posts made me laugh, honestly, you know nothing about women at all. I think you've come on here with the express purpose of trolling and winding people up by posting up complete bollocks.
If you are the weightlifter here you would be better remembering that this is for martial artists so the best thing for you would be to toddle off to a weightlifting site and see what your reception is. I think the heaviest thing you lift is your ego.

Don't start on jobo, he's my countryman, and it's my job to argue with him son, not yours.

Honestly, I go away for a bit and come back to find the kindergarten kids have got in again.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah sweetie, I really do have that say that reading your posts made me laugh, honestly, you know nothing about women at all. I think you've come on here with the express purpose of trolling and winding people up by posting up complete bollocks.
If you are the weightlifter here you would be better remembering that this is for martial artists so the best thing for you would be to toddle off to a weightlifting site and see what your reception is. I think the heaviest thing you lift is your ego.
I'm marking this on my Calendar: "Tez and I agree on something." ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
And there is surprisingly, a good amount of men who are ugly and not built that make people think "How did he get her"

I never think that. I know that, with some exceptions, women generally don't want a man that's better looking than she is. Women generally want to be the better looking partner.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I never think that. I know that, with some exceptions, women generally don't want a man that's better looking than she is. Women generally want to be the better looking partner.
I don't think about it often. But when I was in my 20's it was hot topic. Back then people would joke about how better it is to get someone who isn't too attractive.. The summary of it was don't marry a good looking man or woman because then they are more likely to leave you.

in a Thailand study "Creative guys with less attractive faces were almost identical in attractiveness to really good looking guys who were not as creative,”"

then there's this

I don't know what's in these days.

Then there's this
15 Beautiful Women Who Fell In Love With Ugly Guys

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't think about it often. But when I was in my 20's it was hot topic. Back then people would joke about how better it is to get someone who isn't too attractive.. The summary of it was don't marry a good looking man or woman because then they are more likely to leave you.

I actually used to have this mindset... as a matter of fact... I got married while thinking like this. After five years together/two years of marriage... what did she do?

There were many reasons for this, but among them... she figured she was able to get me, so why not seek out some more? She wanted to seek validation, and see if she still "had it."

I don't think handsome man/ugly woman relationships work. If you're with a woman who's in the bottom tercile in terms of appearance, it makes no sense for her to try to find a man who is less attractive than she is, since they'll be harder to find. That said, she has nothing to lose by going after the most attractive thing she can get.

in a Thailand study "Creative guys with less attractive faces were almost identical in attractiveness to really good looking guys who were not as creative,”"

I always thought that, in terms of appearance, a beastly masculine appearance is what will draw women in; over a handsome appearance. Granted, one can be both handsome and masculine looking; but if a woman was only going to be drawn to one, the latter will prevail.

Look at Mr. T: he's always been an ugly dude, but he's always been a beastly masculine looking dude. I'd actually expect to see him with far more attractive arm candy than any Calvin Klein model from his day would've had.

then there's this

I like how they said that if you see a beautiful woman with an ugly man, that means the man has money. That's a load of crap. I know plenty of ugly unemployed broke dudes who are financially supported by their highly attractive girlfriends and wives.

I think it's a leverage thing. But there is one truth mentioned in the video: just because a man is ugly and is with a woman who is more attractive than she is, doesn't mean he's not going to cheat. If he was able to get one highly attractive woman, then he can just as easily attract more.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think handsome man/ugly woman relationships work. If you're with a woman who's in the bottom tercile in terms of appearance, it makes no sense for her to try to find a man who is less attractive than she is, since they'll be harder to find. That said, she has nothing to lose by going after the most attractive thing she can get.
I think it differs culturally and personality wise. Like all of the women who like money never take interest in me lol.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

then there's this

Then there's this
15 Beautiful Women Who Fell In Love With Ugly Guys

My wife is hot and I'm ugly as sin. To this day, I have no idea what she saw in me.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
This makes me wonder what @Hanzou saw in her, though: BJJ guys don't give up position.

Edit: By the way, I'm extremely attractive so I don't know how to further contribute to this thread. :cigar:

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This makes me wonder what @Hanzou saw in her, though: BJJ guys don't give up position.

Edit: By the way, I'm extremely attractive so I don't know how to further contribute to this thread. :cigar:

I don't know if you're a man or a woman, or one of the other genders that have come into existence in the past five years or so...

But if you're a dude, have you experienced the "His ugly *** got HER, and I'm SINGLE? WTF???" that was mentioned earlier in the thread?

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm a dude, and average really (think, uh, Jim Carrey?). Had a couple of relationships and my share of wild nights in college. I liked all those girls a lot but some of them were very popular and I've had to fend off several "hot dudes", some of whom I've seen on TV since. So, I've probably been someone else's "ugly ***".

Dating is a numbers game: as long as he's got basic stuff in order (i.e. hygiene, I wonder what some people do in the morning), an average dude with lots of friends in a psychology faculty will have better odds than a hot dude whose social life amounts to one DnD night per week at Mark's place.

Regarding looks, I think that, once you are attractive enough that the girl says "ok I'd go to bed with this guy" then returns diminish. Going from "obese" to "okay" will improve your success tremendously cuz obesity is universally unattractive, but going from "okay" to "very fit" will not do as much, as you were probably already a "yes" for most girls you'll interact with. In reality, most of the "ugly ***" guys that are with attractive girls are actually okay-ish, they may even be tall, masculine or stylish when you look at them closer. A good example would be Adriana Lima dating Marko Jaric. Ok, she's an atomic bomb and he's got a funny face but the guy's damn tall, masculine and a successful pro athlete to boot, he'd be a "yes" in most women's books:

5bb546c52400003200565269.jpeg

That's the big trend re looks IMO. Then, you've got other stuff going on like her personal preferences (based on real life examples: she only dates Arabs, she likes blond guys, she has a crush on a singer who vaguely looks like you, she loves Italian culture, she's big into heavy metal, etc.), money, status, etc.