UFC champ Sylvia admits steroid use

OP
P

pknox

True. But if he's going to get a guarantee to fight for the title in four months, it could be worse. I realize he won't be able to fight for those four months (at least for the UFC and in Nevada), but I wonder if the 22500 will be enough to cover him. In some people's eyes, I'll bet you they would do it if they knew the penalty they would get would be the same as Tim's. It is a valid penalty, but I don't know if I would considering it one of those "making an example out of the guy" type ones. To be fair, I don't know what exactly the UFC's goal was -- if they were looking to give Tim and the others out there a bit of a warning, then I think they succeeded. However, if their goal was to "make a statement", implying that this will not be tolerated and will be dealt with severely, than I don't think they accomplished it.

OP
J

JDenz

Ya well testing is still in the beginnning stages in MMA. So I think they are giving the fighters a bit of leway. Even Barnetts suspension and fine wasn't that bad.

OP
P

pknox

Good point. I wonder if, after they have the testing past the preliminary stages, they'll change it to be more stringent.

OP
J

JDenz

I am sure they are going to keep it hand and hand with boxing. Although I think the fines will be set by the purses of the fight since UFC guys are not making Boxing money.

OP
P

pknox

That makes perfect sense. If MMA wants to be accepted as a mainstream sport, it would be wise to use the same testing that is used by the other sports that are already considered mainstream. I think the general public would consider that a big step in the right direction.

OP
J

JDenz

Well they really don't have much of the choice.

OP
P

pknox

True. But hopefully the PR folks will make it sound like they did it because they wanted to, as opposed to the real truth, which is that they did it because they had to.

Latest Discussions