UFC champ Sylvia admits steroid use

P

pknox

Taken off of sherdog.com:

UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia announced today that he had taken a banned substance prior to his title defense against Gan McGee on Sept. 26 in Las Vegas.

"I made a terrible mistake... the biggest mistake of my life," Sylvia said. "I wish I could take it back, but that isn't possible. So, I'm ready to accept the consequences for my actions."

The Nevada State Athletic Commission notified Sylvia of the infraction earlier this week. Sylvia hopes to have a hearing in front of the board on Oct. 15 in Las Vegas.

"After I won the title, I wanted to look better... to have a better physique," Sylvia said. "I have never taken steroids before, so I tried it for a month after the Ricco fight. Now, it's obvious that it was a big mistake."

Sylvia said he will abide by whatever decisions are made by the NSAC and Zuffa.

"I just want to apologize for letting people down... my fans, my teammates, my family, the Nevada State Athletic Commission and the UFC," Sylvia said. "I can't express how disappointed I am in myself right now. I've gotten such great support from so many people... I hope they will stick by me and help me get through this. I want to accept responsibility for what I did, do whatever I have to do to put it behind me, and move on with my career."

I find this sad, as it is has the potential to set a bad example for the young fighters out there. I will give Tim credit for being a man about it and standing up and telling the truth - I don't know if he did it because he was going to get caught, or for another reason, but the fact is that he owned up to it.

Any comments? Do you think he'll be stripped of the title, and/or will some other action be taken?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds just like Josh Barnet. Only difference here is that this guy admitted to it, Barnet got caught. Should he lose his title/belt/be banned---yes he should.

Maybe they should start doing a test right before the show happens. In any case, they should do something. Its really sad that people have to rely on a drug to help them rather than put in the hard work. Who cares if you can bench 400lbs or 200 lbs. How the hell is that going to help you in the fight? It isnt!!!! He said that he wanted to look better....Dude, watch what you eat, and do more cardio. There are people out there that can help you prepare your meals so you get the proper diet. If they can take the time to find the right guys to train them for these fights, then they sure as hell can find someone to help with the diet.

Mike

OP
P

pknox

MJS -

I completely agree with you. Precedent is precedent. What's good for Josh should be good for Tim. Do you think his sentence should be more lenient because he admitted it though? That's kind of how the other sports handle it.

When I first heard this, I thought about what Shamrock said about 'roids in Inside the Lion's Den. It may make you bigger, but it doesn't improve your stamina -- in fact, it probably decreases it. I think he was spot on. I can't tell you how many times I've seen pumped up, likely juiced up guys look like they were going to die after rolling for two minutes. It would be comical if it wasn't actually tragic.

I'm not going to preach here. These guys are grown men, and are doing this for a living like any other pro athlete, and I'm sure they know the dangers. Many of them would counter that they have to make their lifetime money in a small amount of time, so they need whatever edge is necessary. Fine if they feel that way. I'm not in their position, so I can't argue. I just know I wouldn't do it, but that's me. They have their reasons. Still, I really don't see why a guy as talented as Tim would do this. He didn't need the drugs - I think he could rule the heavyweight division drug-free with his skill alone. Unfortunately, now there will always be a doubt in our minds when we look at his fights before this one, and wonder if he was juicing. Just like Sosa and the corked bat. If I were him, I would volunteer to test at every opportunity. Maybe then that spectre of doubt can be removed.

Test the athletes -- they do it in the Olympics (I know the tests aren't perfect, but at least they're an attempt). Just realize that we may see some of the huge 300+ pound guys disappearing, similar to what happened in the WWF back when the scandal broke. I don't have a problem with that, as I'd rather see skill than brawn any day. I'm just not sure if the promoters feel the same, though. If people will only pay if we get the huge freaks in there, they'll leave holes in the testing, as the bottom line is what it's all about.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally posted by pknox
MJS -

I completely agree with you. Precedent is precedent. What's good for Josh should be good for Tim. Do you think his sentence should be more lenient because he admitted it though? That's kind of how the other sports handle it.

Hell yeah. Who cares if he admitted it or if they found out? Fact of the matter is, is that he used, he got caught, or in this case, he confessed, so ban him from the sport.

When I first heard this, I thought about what Shamrock said about 'roids in Inside the Lion's Den. It may make you bigger, but it doesn't improve your stamina -- in fact, it probably decreases it. I think he was spot on. I can't tell you how many times I've seen pumped up, likely juiced up guys look like they were going to die after rolling for two minutes. It would be comical if it wasn't actually tragic.

Shamrock talking about juice?? LOL..IMO, I wouldnt be surprised if he was using it himself. He looks just a little tooo big to be natural.

I'm not going to preach here. These guys are grown men, and are doing this for a living like any other pro athlete, and I'm sure they know the dangers. Many of them would counter that they have to make their lifetime money in a small amount of time, so they need whatever edge is necessary. Fine if they feel that way. I'm not in their position, so I can't argue. I just know I wouldn't do it, but that's me. They have their reasons. Still, I really don't see why a guy as talented as Tim would do this. He didn't need the drugs - I think he could rule the heavyweight division drug-free with his skill alone. Unfortunately, now there will always be a doubt in our minds when we look at his fights before this one, and wonder if he was juicing. Just like Sosa and the corked bat. If I were him, I would volunteer to test at every opportunity. Maybe then that spectre of doubt can be removed.

Yeah, it is sad to see good skill/talent go down the drain due to juice. As for the money--well, it doesnt last forever, and I'd like to see what kind of condition their bodies are in after years of juice and the side effects.

Test the athletes -- they do it in the Olympics (I know the tests aren't perfect, but at least they're an attempt). Just realize that we may see some of the huge 300+ pound guys disappearing, similar to what happened in the WWF back when the scandal broke. I don't have a problem with that, as I'd rather see skill than brawn any day. I'm just not sure if the promoters feel the same, though. If people will only pay if we get the huge freaks in there, they'll leave holes in the testing, as the bottom line is what it's all about.

Yeah, thats another sad thing. Nobody wants to see talent, they just want to see 2 big guys with no skill slug it out. A good example of this--Tank vs. Scott Ferrozo. 2 overweight guys. Did they have skill? Yeah, but I've seen much better. They were huffing and puffing so much, I'm surprised that they both didnt drop from exhaustion. Would it hurt to get hit by them? Yes, but look at Belfort. He fought Scott and KO'd him.

Mike

OP
P

pknox

Originally posted by MJS
Shamrock talking about juice?? LOL..IMO, I wouldnt be surprised if he was using it himself. He looks just a little tooo big to be natural.

Check out the book -- he did admit to it, back in his WWF days. He later said he felt it didn't help his fighting at all, and he banned it at the Lion's Den.

Yeah, it is sad to see good skill/talent go down the drain due to juice. As for the money--well, it doesnt last forever, and I'd like to see what kind of condition their bodies are in after years of juice and the side effects.

I agree. But their retort will be that they will be just about crippled when they're older regardless due to all the wear and tear of the sport. I saw a survey once that said the average NFL player doesn't make it to 60, so it's not an MMA specific problem either. That's why they'll say the money not lasting forever is actually a reason to do it, not to not do it.

Yeah, thats another sad thing. Nobody wants to see talent, they just want to see 2 big guys with no skill slug it out. A good example of this--Tank vs. Scott Ferrozo. 2 overweight guys. Did they have skill? Yeah, but I've seen much better. They were huffing and puffing so much, I'm surprised that they both didnt drop from exhaustion. Would it hurt to get hit by them? Yes, but look at Belfort. He fought Scott and KO'd him.

:D I don't know if I'd call Tank fat to his face, but yeah. Check out Grappling this month. They have an interview with Seth Petruzelli, and he talks about how in MMA, "sometimes fat guys with mohawks and tatoos promote the sport too much."

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, at least Ken made a good choice by banning it.

As for the lifespan of the fighters--yeah, they do take alot of punishment. I mean, Randy is in his 40s. I wonder how much longer he'll go?

Calling tank ANYTHING to his face???? HELL NO!!!! I'm not that stupid!!LOL! All kidding aside, you gotta love him! I mean, his attitude, the comments that he makes....he's great!! Definately some power in those guns thats for sure. If he worked a little more on his ground game, he might stand a better chance with some of the grapplers.

Mike

OP
P

pknox

He's definitely an interesting guy, and I wouldn't want to see him angry...or at least, angry at me. :)

It was funny, though - when I read what Petruzelli said, Tank immediately came to mind. I hope for Seth's sake Tank doesn't consider that a callout, 'cause he might mess up those Hollywood looks of his. ;)

OP
J

JDenz

They do test before the events. Everyone that fights in Vegas has to submit to drug testing. The Josh Barnet thing sucked because 6 guys on the card tested positive for a banned substance and he was the only one banned. UFC played hardball with him and he lost. I bet is he would have signed for what UFC wanted he would still be fighting.
Back to topic. Tim didn't admit to it cause he felt bad, he admitted to it because he got caught by the drug test. He is definitly going to lose the title probley be suspended for a year and they might make him forfeit the purse.
Second of all anyone that thinks steriods do not give you a huge advantage is wacked out of there heads. Steroids let you work out harder. They let your muscles heal faster after a work out. They don't make your cardio bad if anything they improve it. The reason that you see guys roided up gas out is because they spend more time on strength then endurance. Barrnet and Sylvia didn't have any problem with there endurance. Also strength is such a huge factor in MMA espically with weight classes. Strentgh is one of the most important factors in a cage fight.

OP
J

J-kid

They should give him the same treatment they gave Josh, its only fair.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Josh Was Striped cause He was ready
to jump ship to pride.

The UFC Squashed that idea

They should put the titel up.

OP
P

pknox

Does Pride test too? Would they have to honor a suspension given out by UFC? I wonder if Tim will go to Pride now, or maybe do pro wrestling in Japan like Josh did. He'll probably make more $$ in the end if he does.

OP
J

JDenz

Pride does not have any banned substances I don't think. They do not test at all. There ban does not affect Pride at all in Japan. BUt it is not UFC that is banning them it is Nevada banning them. They can not fight in Los Vegas anywhere in anykind of sanctioned event. He could fight in Pride but Pride is coming to the states for an event so it is very unlikely that they would sign him till his suspensio was up. It was the same deal with Barnett. That is why he is wrestling in Japan.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by JDenz
Pride does not have any banned substances I don't think. They do not test at all. There ban does not affect Pride at all in Japan. BUt it is not UFC that is banning them it is Nevada banning them. They can not fight in Los Vegas anywhere in anykind of sanctioned event. He could fight in Pride but Pride is coming to the states for an event so it is very unlikely that they would sign him till his suspensio was up. It was the same deal with Barnett. That is why he is wrestling in Japan.

it's owned By Atonio Inoki Who
is A part of The Pride Fighting Group

OP
P

pknox

Originally posted by JDenz
Second of all anyone that thinks steriods do not give you a huge advantage is wacked out of there heads. Steroids let you work out harder. They let your muscles heal faster after a work out. They don't make your cardio bad if anything they improve it. The reason that you see guys roided up gas out is because they spend more time on strength then endurance. Barrnet and Sylvia didn't have any problem with there endurance. Also strength is such a huge factor in MMA espically with weight classes. Strentgh is one of the most important factors in a cage fight.

Good points - I see what you mean. The guys I've seen were all big, but did gas out, and I could see where not spending time on endurance could be the factor. I just wonder why a guy who would risk his health, and also spend mucho $$$ on roids wouldn't bother to do cardio too. Seems like such a waste. As a straight grappler, I always emphasized muscular endurance as opposed to pure limit strength, but I could see how it might be different in the cage. I also don't have to deal with weight classes, as I'm a HW, so I don't have to worry as much about maximizing every bit of muscle vs. bodyfat like the guys in weight classes do.

OP
P

pknox

Originally posted by ace
it's owned By Atonio Inoki Who
is A part of The Pride Fighting Group

The same guy who fought Ali back in the 70's?

OP
J

J-kid

I would like to see Josh face Ricco or Nog and maybe even cro cop after igor.

I Think he can hadle them, what do you guys think?

( sorry for high jacking the thread but i was just curious)

OP
J

JDenz

I am not saying that they did no cardio. Anyone that has ever wrestled boxed, played judo or did MMA how draining the tension and nerves are on you cardio anyways. Most of the fights go at the very least 10 minutes, that is a long *** time to be fighting. When you roid up you spend alot more time in the gym which cuts into your cardio time, you usally put on mass faster then your body gets used to carrying it. For example of that take Vitor Belfort. He massed up to quick and his conditioning paid for it. Look at the guys who juice smart, well for the sake of performance smart. Sylvia, baby face. These guys use the stuff to help there muscles heal improve there strength and conditioning with out big negitives to there training. Lets look at this relasticly anybody who fights for a living is going to have a wrecked body if they take steroids or if they don't.

OP
P

pknox

Oh, I understand you -- I know that grappling provides cardio. I'm just saying you would think that guys on the juice would know to do more cardio so as to lessen the effects from the roids -- assuming their goal is to win matches, as opposed to just looking good. Perhaps I'm giving them too much credit, assuming they'd be scientific about it. The guys I have dealt with weren't necessarily looking to be serious grapplers - to them the roids thing was more cosmetic. Most of them were there for a class or two and then bailed. I could see how it cutting into their time could work though - we all have time issues to deal with. Whenever I had to choose between weights and cardio, I always did cardio, but that's just me -- I'm a naturally big guy, so cardio is what I need to work on anyway.

Latest Discussions