UFC and such...

OP
I

Infrazael

Patterns. . . . when you get down to it, everything is in patterns.

Are you saying combinations are not patterns? Are you not saying footwork is not in patterns? You can limit the amount, duration, or the size of the pattern, but it is there.

The Muay Thai guy does patterns when he jabs, knees, elbows, and clinches. Why? Because there are only SO MANY ways you can combine techniques, especially with boxing, where there are barely any techniques beyond basic punching techniques (not a diss; they are very good at those).

Forms, in CLF at least represent predetermined sets, yes. But in every single form, moves are taken to different levels, lengths, etc. Some of my FAVORITE combinations are actually nothing more than PARTS of forms.

Leopard paw, Sao, Gwa, Fan Jong, Kup is found in Sup Gee Kow Dah Kuen. Gwa, Kum, Biu Jong is found in basic two. And these are merely basic combinations; the rest of each form, and various forms represent almost limitless ways to combine CLF techniques. That's why I believe forms are pretty damned important to CMA, it's because they contain the seeds for the applications.

OP
I

InvisibleFist

You'll note though that in CLF, the patterns vary, frequently the same setup will lead to a different ending.

OP
I

Infrazael

That's correct too. Gwa can be followed up with pretty much anything, allowing your opponents to also be surprised.

OP
I

Isrephael

Our school is primarily a CMA school, but several of our students (and our Si Bok) compete in no-holds-barred, UFC-style tournaments. We devote an hour per evening to BJJ, but the rest of the time is primarily CMA (Tiger forms, Chin Na, et cetera). From what I've seen, Tiger is an excellent style for the striking needed in NHB/UFC/MMA fighting. It provides long, mid, and short range striking. The Tiger claw/grip lends itself well to locking in the Chin Na, and from there, you can slide seemlessly into BJJ to get the tap.

Latest Discussions