Ufc 2

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So Hughes' team loses the fight - work the rest of them into the ground. Lose teh challenge - run them more into the ground. Lost the next fight... run them into the ground. You said yourself you are a better coach than Franklin, Gosh, Matt, why was your guy so unmotivated?

S

SammyB57

I've actually enjoyed most of the fights. While most people said Von Flue/Gurgel was the best fight I disagree. I don't mind a slower pace that is more technical. I enjoyed Rashad's fight very much even though Dana thought it was horrible. I really don't understand Dana's logic. Rashad was very technical and doing some crazy-stunts.

People want to see "balls-to-the-walls", "swing-for-the-fences" fights. I like seeing technical fights even if the pace is a little slower.

I was very impressed by the first fight on the show between Melvin and that one guy and by Rashad's fight. I was not impressed at all by Von Flue/Gurgel. Last night's fight was okay.... I think Seth should have finished Dan after stunning him with that one big kick, but he was very methodical and won the victory.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's not the slower pace that is a problem, it's the seemingly low level of motivation these guys have. Early on people just quit, and now in the fights the rest don't show much in the way of determination.
Dana's logic is to sell tickets to fights and to sell Spike a popular show that people watch. To do that there has to be excitment. For everyone of us that understand and appreciate the techincal aspect there are 100 people that want to see a bloody war. But really, how technical is standing around for half the round looking for an opening? Create an opening and show some aggression.

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, Effective aggression is part of technical ability. You have to make things happen as opposed to waiting for them to happen. I think the welterweight fights have been okay, while the heavyweights have been dismal. Jason may not have the best technical ability, but he showed a lot of heart and won a tough fight and so he got treated like crap and then let go to the other team. Why? What's going on?

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:
Yeah, Effective aggression is part of technical ability. You have to make things happen as opposed to waiting for them to happen. I think the welterweight fights have been okay, while the heavyweights have been dismal. Jason may not have the best technical ability, but he showed a lot of heart and won a tough fight and so he got treated like crap and then let go to the other team. Why? What's going on?
I don't think Hughes liked him for some reason, maybe because he came in a couple days late. Looked like he paid his dues in the first workout. He's the kind of guy that can do some damage to Matt's team, he just keeps fighting, might have been a mistake for Hughes to give him up so easy.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:
Jason may not have the best technical ability, but he showed a lot of heart and won a tough fight and so he got treated like crap and then let go to the other team. Why? What's going on?
I think despite Hughes' "I am fully in control" exterior, he mostly acts from emotion. He decided right away he didn't like von Flue and (as shown on TV) was a complete jerk to him the whole time. Playing solitaire in the locker room? it's rude. Grow up Matt Hughes. Von Flue beat the best guy on the other team, and he still gets no credit from you? Spike must have left something out becasue MH's attitude seems completely unjsutified. Of course now von Flue can take sweet revenge by beating everyone Hughes puts against him.

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
I think despite Hughes' "I am fully in control" exterior, he mostly acts from emotion. He decided right away he didn't like von Flue and (as shown on TV) was a complete jerk to him the whole time. Playing solitaire in the locker room? it's rude. Grow up Matt Hughes. Von Flue beat the best guy on the other team, and he still gets no credit from you? Spike must have left something out becasue MH's attitude seems completely unjsutified. Of course now von Flue can take sweet revenge by beating everyone Hughes puts against him.
I'm waiting for Von Flue's next fight, and having Hughes say something like "go after the eye" to whoever he puts up against him. Just seems like the kind of thing he would do. Heartless.

If Hughes team wins the next competition, I imagine they will Jason. If they lose the competition, I almost see Jason wanting to fight again, in revenge. Either way, I think Jason will fight again next. Hughes would see him as a weak link (all injured) and Jason will be upset enough to kick someone elses buttocks.

MrH

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
Being a good fighter does not make you a good coach.MrH
Well said. :)

Anybody see this week's show? Matt Hughes railed on his team when they lost the challenge & IMHO is not a good coach. He admitted on camera more than once that he really didn't care if Jason won his fight (last week) or not. When Jason did win, he just sat there in the office & didn't celebrate like he did with his other guys. I'm so glad that Jason was sent to Rich's team because I think with a coach that not only works him hard but cares & gives positive feedback as well as negative, he will really develop as a better fighter. He may not be the most skilled fighter on the show, but he has a lot of heart & a good attitude, which to some people means much more than how many wins you have. Unfortunately, the fight between Dan & Seth was similar to the one from a couple of weeks ago (Rashad & ?)--two guys who had become friends & whose hearts just didn't seem to be in it. There was a lot of action, but neither one seemed to be able to get a good submission or to knock out the other one. Dan admitted after the fight that he "didn't know where his hands were."

Which brings me to a question: If you were a contestant on this show & had a "once in a lifetime chance" to become The Ultimate Fighter could you set aside friendships you made with other contestants & fight them--to win?

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gin-Gin said:
Well said. :)
Which brings me to a question: If you were a contestant on this show & had a "once in a lifetime chance" to become The Ultimate Fighter could you set aside friendships you made with other contestants & fight them--to win?
Personally, that would be tough... I've had the good fortune to not beat anyone up, so it would be tough to be asked to beat up one of my good friends for money. That seems to be another difference between this years show and last. Seemed alot of animosity in the house last year.

Fundamentally, would I? I don't think so. I guess you could just be rude or mute and not form friendships, but thats hard to realistically do over a period of weeks, especially with people on your own team. I'd hate to have to act that way, since its not part of my personality.

MrH

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
Personally, that would be tough... I've had the good fortune to not beat anyone up, so it would be tough to be asked to beat up one of my good friends for money. That seems to be another difference between this years show and last. Seemed alot of animosity in the house last year.

I didn't really see animosity as an element in the finals last season. Dose of healthy respect and competitiveness, yeah. Didn't see anyone calling blood-feud tho.

If you look at what happened last season, most of the people on the show that performed well are still floating around UFC events. Losing well doesn't kill your chances, and you've still gotten plenty of exposure which can be spun out from there. Seems like going out and doing the nothin' dance is the prime way to do everyone involved a disservice.

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Marginal said:
If you look at what happened last season, most of the people on the show that performed well are still floating around UFC events. Losing well doesn't kill your chances, and you've still gotten plenty of exposure which can be spun out from there. Seems like going out and doing the nothin' dance is the prime way to do everyone involved a disservice.

I'm personally happy to see some of the more memorable figures from the show coming back and having real fights. I'd probably follow their careers more than your normal UFC fighter.

I was thinking of this the other day... there are very few fighters who lost this year that I would enjoy seeing again. The fights have not been, on average, all that fantastic. I'd definately not pay to see most of the other competitors. I've not even been impressed with the victors overall. We will see how it goes though... I want to see Luke fight!

MrH

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Luke's stand up was great. I thought he was going to be choked out but he came back.

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
good lord... I enjoyed watching rashad use Mike as a practice dummy. Really one sided. Seemed like Mike just sat there sometimes and let Rashad punch him. Rather sad.... I keep hoping the fights get better, and some of them have been ok, but overall its been disappointing...

On the upside, Rashad looked better. However, considering what he was fighting, I think I'd look pretty good LOL

MrH

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mike is the biggest disappointment this year the hype about his stand up, I guess they was talking about the way he can satnd there and get hit like a punching bag. Rashad looked alot better, but anybody fighting Mike would have looked good. The best so far has been luke, that really say's it all for this season.

terry

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Mike is the biggest disappointment this year the hype about his stand up, I guess they was talking about the way he can satnd there and get hit like a punching bag. Rashad looked alot better, but anybody fighting Mike would have looked good. The best so far has been luke, that really say's it all for this season.

terry
Yeah.. the way they were hyping Mike, I was expecting a stretcher or something... I was expecting a lopsided fight, and most definately a KO/submission. The closest to a KO was Rashad pounding Mike repeatedly. I thought for a while that the ref was going to call it. Mike just looked overwhelmed at time, barely being able to effectively cover up. even Dana looked upset. I feel sorry for him LOL. I agree, I think the Luke fight was one of the best. I've not enjoyed any of the heavyweight fights. Its that way in boxing too. It seems the heavy weights have heavy fists, but they lumber around so slowly that it makes for a boring fight. Mike honestly could handle losing a good 20 lbs. Might help in the ring... what do you think?

MrH

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Keep in mind that he whole purpose of the show is to promote UFC to mostly non martial artists. There are probably more non martial artists in the world than martial artists and the producers of the show are probably more interested in getting non martial artists into watching UFC than whether he fights or fighters are good from a technical perspective. Big on hype and drama.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe if Hughes works his guys just a _littel_ harder, they will be able to fight. Really matt I think the problem is you aren't making them sweat enough in training. I mean, what else could it be???

Latest Discussions