Ufc 2

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone else excited about season 2 of the UFC? I've been enjoying it so far. Looks to have some promise. Anyone here know any of the fighters personally?

On a side note, I taped some wrestling by accident before the show. you HAVE to watch wrestling in fast forward. TOO funny!

MrH

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I taped the 1st episode and watched it yesterday. I havent seen the 2nd episode yet. IMO, I wasn't too impressed with what I saw. Its amazing how these guys say that they want to fight, get on the UFC, etc., but yet they come onto the show and they are in poor shape, walk off due to it being too difficult, etc. Regardless if they saw the first show or not, they should know that the training is going to be tough. That being said, start prepping yourself BEFORE you get onto the show, rather than waiting and giving up.

Mike

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
The second episode was a bit funny. Dana was already in a bit of a snit from the heavyweights vanishing like mist, then one of the welterweights goes into his office, and starts in along the same lines, Dana was livid...

:boing2:

That was some good TV.

The fight wasn't especially interesting though. Went to decision, no controversy, little action. (It's bad when I'm shouting "Work! Work!" at the tv)

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Fun to watch.....they still have rules...not real fighing, breaks and rest....timeouts and NOT like real fighing-NO rules anything goes....none stop till someone gives up or knock-out.............Aloha

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
yeah, that would seem alot like the "Running Man" w/ Arnold. Interesting concept. I wonder how loud the FCC would scream if someone died on a reality show? or got seriously injured? (concussion, paralyzed)

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I missed the first episode, but just watched the rebroadcast with the Melvin vs. Josh fight. They seemed to be pretty closely matched (I thought for sure that George would get picked since his knee is injured... :idunno: ) but Melvin just couldn't choke Josh out for some reason. [This is the first episode I've seen, so I don't know much about their backgrounds--will check the UF website.] While I admire Melvin's "toughness" in not telling the officials about his broken hand, I think he should have at least told his coach, so that Rich could give him another strategy - it probably would have made the difference.

I hope the other fights will be better.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hope the other fights will be better.
Well, not this week. :( Has anyone seen this week's show yet? What was wrong with those guys?! No one threw anything (punch or kick) for the first minute of the first round, then no one did anything for the last minute of Round 2! Round 3 was a little bit better, but that was only after Rashad was actually throwing stuff (after a peptalk from Rich Franklin). Maybe neither of them wanted to hurt the other one since they had become friends & they were jovial the night before the fight, with Rashad even cutting Tom's hair... :rolleyes:

I'm also disappointed with Matt Hughes' behavior, trying to get a rise out of George, egging him on over & over again. Neither Randy nor Chuck behaved that way last season, & to me it looks unprofessional. Rich seems to be a bit more mature in that department probably because he used to be a schoolteacher.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched the first two episodes and then stopped watching it. I think that its great that Dana puts this show on, but theres just something about this season that didn't keep my interest. Maybe they purposely put guys on the show who were less skilled, not as in shape, etc. as compared to the first episode, but having to listen to people complain about how hard it is, how difficult the training is, etc., week after week, was getting to be a bit too much. If being an Ultimate Fighter is the dream or goal of these guys, then IMO they should know that the road is going to be very bumpy.

Mike

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not sure what the rest of the season will bring but it looks like Dana picked a group of quiters and cryBabies this year. I sure hope the action picks up and there are some real fighters in that group somewhere.
So far last years group wouls have moped the floor with these guys,

All thought subject to change if some real action occures

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a hard show to watch. Dana comes in, tells them he wants them to pick off the weakest links. Matt chooses that one guy, and has him fight Rashad (who I assume he considrered a weak link, though he seemed more interested of geting rid of the guy with the bad knee more than winning a fight) So in a battle of the perceived weakest links, you get a horrible fight. Somehow, that doesn't really surprise me.

Seems like they chose people who weren't going to be too rowdy in the second season. Not much point in having a reality show featuring a bunch of guys reading the Bible. A couple of people attempting a little gamesmanship, it's a poor substitute for actual personalities.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
Not sure what the rest of the season will bring but it looks like Dana picked a group of quiters and cryBabies this year. I sure hope the action picks up and there are some real fighters in that group somewhere.
So far last year's group would have mopped the floor with these guys. All thought subject to change if some real action occurs.
Agreed :D

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This week's fight was the best so far! :D Both fighters came out swinging & it was apparent that they both wanted to win (like last year's contestants); unfortunately, neither of them could choke out the other one (although they both came close numerous times--I swear, I though Jorge had it when he had Jason's back & was applying the choke!). Jason, the fighter from Matt Hughes' team did exactly what his coach was shouting at him to do, & it seems to have made the difference--he scored more points because he made more shots. Jorge didn't move his head very much at all (& therefore "ate" a lot punches), & although Rich was giving him advice on what he needed to do, he just couldn't seem to get it together. Unfortunately, his injured knee popped out of place during the fight, & that was probably a factor as well.

Anyone else see it?

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw it. Thought the fight was the best of the season so far. Lots of blood spurting around. I agree, I thought the fight was over when Jorge mounted his back. The punches Jason was throwing did not seem to have alot of pop on them though. I was a bit upset that he won. I'm curious to see how the group will react to Jorge after the defeat. He really got abused during the last few episodes.

I don't like Hughes attitude, about sending out the fighter he does not mind losing. He seems really immature. Being a good fighter does not make you a good coach.

I was really impressed with the scare crow event. Most impressive, even though the other team forfeited (which was smart).

MrH

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Anybody surprised by anything so far? I can't believe Jorge lost. Got any opinions or reactions to the show?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea I can't believe the owner of the company telling them to pick out the weaker players, you would think they would won't great fight to get the ratings, jorge let his emotion get to him, just like alot of fighters.

Terry

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I agree on both counts, Terry, you would think they should want a great fight every week, with two competitors about equal and making a good fight, instead of good fighter/bad fighter blowouts. I also think Coach Hughes really got under Jorge's skin too, messing with him about his courage (someone will have to pick you because you're not going to fight) week after week.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think you could see Liddel's influence on the guy with the crazy angles his punches were coming in.

I think Hughes is not quite as good a coach as he thinks he is, and he's coming off as a bit of a hypocrit (talking about principles and the high road etc and then playing head games with an opposing team's player. You don't see football coaches razzing the other teams players, and I think it is low class for Hughes to be doing it. Let him play head games on Franklin if he wants but interfering with the other team's members is an abuse of his position.

Franklin is more of a teacher than a coach, he doesn't seem to understand the difference.

-DC

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm a little disappointed with this season so far. I think the fights were far better last year, all but one of the fights so far this year were boring. Not a whole lot of personality in the group either. No big drama in the house to fill the first half of the show. I do like that they added the 3rd round to the fights, too bad the fights aren't so great. Hopefully, it'll pick up. Looks like Dana is getting a little tired of the crappy fights and is going to have a little talk with the fighters.

Latest Discussions