Turning on Heels?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If your opponent is 10 feet away, a sprinter's spring is the same as a fighter's spring.
It is not the same. You are making an assumption based on a picture and not actually doing it. I used to be a track sprinter so unless you were a track sprinter then you aren't going to understand the concept of that picture that you posted with the person in the starting blocks. Which is why I posted a video of a person explaining it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The grappling art depends even more on the "toes down heel up".

heelup4.jpg

heel_up.jpg

heelup3.jpg

heelup2.jpg

heel_up4.jpg
Not true. They do a variety of heels up, heels down movements
10532811.jpeg

wres.jpg

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've never turned on my heals - until just now. Kind of makes me want my toes growing out of my heel.

But that just makes me wonder what shoes would look like.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is what trying to stay on your toes looks like

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've never turned on my heals - until just now. Kind of makes me want my toes growing out of my heel.
Did your let your toes slide across the floor or did you try to completely lift your toes?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Did your let your toes slide across the floor or did you try to completely lift your toes?

Both actually. Don't have a feel for either, but sliding the toes seemed easier for me.
I think I'll wait another forty years before I do it again, though.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
To achieve maximum power in many movements (including lifting, throwing, jumping, etc.) the calf muscles need to be engaged. Sometimes that requires the heel to be off the floor, sometimes not.

It is possible to overthink this.

Last edited:

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To achieve maximum power in many movements (including lifting, throwing, jumping, etc.) the calf muscles need to be engaged. Sometimes that requires the heel to be off the floor, sometimes not.

yup...squats and deadlifts and kettlebelling to mention a few

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
------------------------------------------------------------------Get the best wing chun teacher you can find and follow him until you become competent enough to make your own analysis.
I turn on my heels but that is linked to appropriate coordination of all my joints and balance.
BTW Ip Man turned that way, so did Ho Kam Ming,
so does Augustine Fong.I have seen Wong Shon Leung do that on video and in person.

-------------------------------------------------PS.To understand my points-we distinguish between development and application. In form development heels on the ground..
In application adaptations occur.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm trying to think of any movement that involves turning the hips forward explosively in which I would want my back heel on the ground. From a Taekwondo perspective, I can't think of any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm trying to think of any movement that involves turning the hips forward explosively in which I would want my back heel on the ground. From a Taekwondo perspective, I can't think of any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A forward hand hook in tight.

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
So I'm just starting out. I'm not really that good at pivoting on the heels at same time when I punch. Is there any advice to offer to improving on turning heels? Thanks.

Everyone will give you different answers because various lineages have different engines for their footwork.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend turning on your heels at all (or your toes, for that matter), and only more one foot at a time.

By only moving one foot at a time, you are always solidly rooted to the ground and it's much hard to break your structure.

If you shift on your heels, especially both feet at the same time, then I can plow into you while you're in motion and you will have no choice but to either attempt to recover and step back or fall. If you move on your toes and I Laap, down you go...

I shift on the center/ball of my foot. If pressure is applied, I can root my heel, and if I'm pulled, I can root my toes. And since only one foot is in motion, the rest of my structure is solidly rooted on the stationary foot.

Also, the way I move can be done in any shoes on any surface, not just in slippers on a fresh buffed floor.

Not saying any other way is "wrong", just some food for thought about how I do it and why.

OP
Michael89

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah. good news is I'm getting better at turning my heels w/punching (or Taun da, Guan da, Pak da, Jut da) which I think it is called "Juen Ma". I been with Wing Chun School for 6 weeks now and I been picking up some of terms.

also I believe this is what I was talking about http://www.wingchundevon.co.uk/wing-chun-turning-stance/

hkreporting

White Belt
Reaction score
In WC, initiating any pivoting and turning actually comes from your waist, so whether its heels or balls of feet, it shouldn't matter much as the power comes from your hips, but you probably have better structure if you do it on your heels as you have a stronger central axis and can control your opponent better in close range fighting. In Chum kiu, all that turning power is from the hips/waist. This was the way one sifu in Hong Kong explained it anyway.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
In WC, initiating any pivoting and turning actually comes from your waist, so whether its heels or balls of feet, it shouldn't matter much as the power comes from your hips, but you probably have better structure if you do it on your heels as you have a stronger central axis and can control your opponent better in close range fighting. In Chum kiu, all that turning power is from the hips/waist. This was the way one sifu in Hong Kong explained it anyway.

I agree with your first part, but not with your second part. Turning on the heels may have a stronger central axis, but turning closer to the balls of the feet provides better balance, control and output of power/force. If you turn on your heels, then your toes are swinging and cannot engage the ground as well for balance. If you turn closer to the balls of the feet, then your heels are swinging and your toes can grip the ground better to stabilize and provide better balance and control. If the opponent engages your center while you are pivoting on your heels, then you have very little "reserve" and can be forced back more easily. If the opponent engages your center while you are pivoting closer to the balls of the feet, then you have more "reserve" because your weight can rock back onto your heels and absorb his force better momentarily until you can deflect it. This also contributes to better balance and control. If you are putting out force in front of you into your opponent, force is better expressed by pushing off with the balls of the feet, not the heels. Sprinters do not apply forward force from their heels, boxers do not apply forward force from their heels, baseball pitchers do not apply forward force from their heels. All of this is just simple biomechanics.

Latest Discussions