TSA to allow knives on planes

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/tsa-allow-passengers-carry-small-knives-planes-1C8700194

For the first time since the 9/11 terror attacks, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will allow small knives and some previously prohibited sports equipment onto airplanes as carry-on items.

According to the TSA, passengers will be able to carry-on knives that are less than 2.36 inches long and less than one-half inch wide. Larger knives, and those with locking blades and molding handles, will continue to be prohibited, as will razor blades and box cutters.

But will they still confiscate fingernail clippers?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Uh, the last time I looked a box cutter has a blade less than 2.36 inches long, and 19 terrorists sonsofbitches used them to hijack planes on 9/11/01.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not mine. I don't fly. I'll drive cross country to avoid the mall cop pedo reject squad.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you fly, make sure your life insurance and wills are up to date.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/06/travel/tsa-carry-on-hawley/?iref=obinsite

The former head of transportation security said Wednesday he supports a new policy allowing small knives on planes, but said it does not go far enough, and should include instruments such as "battle axes (and) machetes."
Sharp objects can no longer bring down aircraft, former Transportation Security Administration chief Kip Hawley told CNN, and the search for knives interferes with the search for objects that can harm aircraft.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sharp objects can no longer bring down aircraft, former Transportation Security Administration chief Kip Hawley told CNN

Uh huh.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sharp objects can no longer bring down aircraft, former Transportation Security Administration chief Kip Hawley told CNN
Uh huh.

OK... so the guys with the knives may not be able to get to the pilots (not necessarily a given, but let's just accept that premise for the moment)... Instead, you get a blood bath in the passenger compartment upon landing. Because, y'know... we haven't had people just go off and kill folks before, or anything like that... and a sardine can of relatively helpless victims couldn't be attractive...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Statistics prove that the likelihood of that happening however is insignificant.

There have been 18 hijackings since 2000.
"I have a bomb" is the preferred weapon.

18 hijackings, tens of thousands of flights each year.

Also, the TSA regularly misses thousands of knives, and guns.

Despite that, air travel is pretty safe. You're actually more likely to die from pilot error or shoddy upkeep on the planes themselves.