True masters Don't worry about rank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Knifehand said:
isn't enough to realized that the belts signify progress? if you want to believe they mean on thing.... then thats what you believe. The meanings of the colors differ from one style to another...
It is not the color of the belt you wear but the practitioner wearing the belt.
A belt is only good to hold your pants up with.
I don't know who originally said these sayings but I thought that it would be good to write these in now.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ranks mean you have been exposed to the level of knowledge associated with the rank. Doesn't always mean you are as good as everyone else that has that rank.

K

Knifehand

you would rather have a system where you are all grouped together, disregarding both ability and knowledge? If you all think it is such a negative, then why even wear the belt.

Pride for accomplishments is not a weakness or negative. I'm proud to have earned my orange belt. Its not an excuse to stop training. Infact, it makes me want to learn more.

Loki, you couldn't be farther from the truth. The only distaction is the emphesis put on attaining that belt. people who get distracted by a piece of long cloth have no idea what it means to wear it.

Belts are a signature of Hard work, effort, discipline, and dedication. The color of the belt is just each step of that journey toward perfection, which we will never reach, but its a good goal to have.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Knifehand said:
you would rather have a system where you are all grouped together, disregarding both ability and knowledge? If you all think it is such a negative, then why even wear the belt.
The belt helps to keep the jacket from flopping open.....
In my teacher's association we all wear the same color belt from 10th kyu to 10th dan.......it's white

F

Fbettincourt

I thought Mr. Oyata had a gold belt. I do not remember seeing him on video wearing a white belt.

FB

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Fbettincourt said:
I thought Mr. Oyata had a gold belt. I do not remember seeing him on video wearing a white belt.

FB
guess you should look again then

Taika1.jpg

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Knifehand said:
Loki, you couldn't be farther from the truth. The only distaction is the emphesis put on attaining that belt. people who get distracted by a piece of long cloth have no idea what it means to wear it.
I dont think you understood what he said...he said that once a belt becomes a political/social symbol it becomes a distraction....I cant argue with that.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well here goes another 2 cent job. The belt means absolutely nothing, it is used to measures one progress in a system. It cannot make you a fighter and sure cannot help you if your in a stituation( I know your training helps you not the belt except you use it while you fight). What a belt means to me anyway is I have learned enough of a system to become knowledgeable to teach said system and I'm suppose to be able to defend myself in some stituation. It does not make me SUPERMAN or SPIDERMAN like so many people think.
Just a mans view.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tgace said:
I dont think you understood what he said...he said that once a belt becomes a political/social symbol it becomes a distraction....I cant argue with that.

Some things in martial arts parallel religions in many ways as far as rank and structure.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Well here goes another 2 cent job. The belt means absolutely nothing, it is used to measures one progress in a system.
1) It cannot make you a fighter and sure cannot help you if your in a stituation( I know your training helps you not the belt except you use it while you fight).
2) What a belt means to me anyway is I have learned enough of a system to become knowledgeable to teach said system and I'm suppose to be able to defend myself in some stituation.
3) It does not make me SUPERMAN or SPIDERMAN like so many people think.
Just a mans view.
1) Agreed
2) Again I agree
3) Maybe someone should put a Superman patch on their belt ;)
Actually fon't even get me started on patches plastered all over Dogi.... :rolleyes:

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
SinDidn't at one time you wore your White belt forever and when it turned black thats when you became a BLACK BELT.[/QUOTE said:
Because, of course, a society that is obsessed with cleanliness would certainly wear a soiled, smelly, disgusting rag over and over again until it literally turns black with filth...

Yeah, that'd happen.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
gee......in old uechi ryu photos the guys are wearing little more than a loincloth......who needs a belt?

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
gee......in old uechi ryu photos the guys are wearing little more than a loincloth......who needs a belt?
The first time I met my teacher in the dojo he was wearing a T-shirt, shorts and sandals. He then "schooled" me on what Okinawan karate is. I swear I can still taste that floor!!

K

Knifehand

Tgace said:
A distraction for who?

Take being a Cho Dan for instance. i am afraid of cho dans (kinda, but not really). They are badass people. They have a lot of abilities and they are further along in the program than I am. (short and sweet). People have a stigma about Black belts, Some think they are muscle bound meatheads... others think they are violent people... but thats not right either... most black belts are reserved about their abilities, responsible people. the long and the short - the distraction lies in Other people. My belt is not for anyone else but me.

when i get my orange belt in a few weeks, i will smile. This belt is something i've achieved. I know now I have an opportunity to learn more, grow more. Its a distraction for others...Since when i care what others think about my training or what they think I know?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ill say it this way then "when a belt becomes a political/social symbol FOR THE WEARER, it becomes a distraction."

What we are saying is that belts can be a problem when the person holding the rank expects social/political deference due the rank. Its not what about others think of your rank.....

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kind of reaching for stuff aren't ya.....I mean that photo has to be from the 1980's. He hasn’t worn that belt in over 20 years…..and as I recall he never wore it that much to begin with.

I have noticed one thing about you bettincourt.

Since you have joined this forum you have all but 5 of your posts have been on forums I have posted on. In fact your first 8 posts were directed at me and not really on the subject of the thread.

This tends to lead me to believe your are nothing more than a “troll”. Granted you are what is known as a “deceptive troll” (one that can snipe and harass within the Forum Guidelines) but a troll you are none the less and one that is trying to pick issue with me or anything I post.

F

Fbettincourt

Mr. Rousselot,

I believe that we were both playing nice on this thread. You posted something about Mr. Oyata wearing a white belt. I said that I thought he wore a gold belt, and provided the picture to prove it. Your post had some nasty undertones along with a picture.

You do not know me, nor I you. I only post on topics that interest me. I have not "targeted" you, but rather have asked why, repeatedly, that you have to be condescending in most of your posts. I just feel that you can get your point across without being rude. Honesty is one thing and rudeness is another. You, Mr. Rousselot, are just plain rude.

and yes...Peace!

FB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions