Tran Trieu Quan on Black Belt Rank

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Go read his article in Stuart's latest Totally TKD magazine (Nov 2009). I don't mean to start yet another thread of what a BB should be or not be, but the article might be illuminating to many of us. For the record, I agree with much of what Mr. Tran says.

http://www.raynerslanetkd.com/TTKD/Download.html

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea I agree withalot of it too, but this topic has been beat to death by al sides. I appreciate the article though.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pretty much all of what was said there was said here as a collective. Much of it I agree with. I never understood those on here that seemed to think that a BB was a superman.

I really liked the articles about the TKD myths best. I try to explain those to people all the time. I try to tell them that in actuallity TKD is a complete art it you study the art and stop looking at the sports. This is WTF and ITF.

Good reads.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The more I see and read about ITF I wonder why WTF is more popular? I would like to learn it someday.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
The more I see and read about ITF I wonder why WTF is more popular? I would like to learn it someday.
Because ITF and WTF are like apples and oranges. WTF is a sport governing body where as ITF is the art org. The better comparison would be KKW to ITF.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Because ITF and WTF are like apples and oranges. WTF is a sport governing body where as ITF is the art org. The better comparison would be KKW to ITF.
I know people look at it that way, But I was thinking more of a system as a whole. Seeing how the KKW follow WTF sparring and as for self defense that is left kind of open as far as KKW goes ( no set system ) It seems like ITF is a more inclusive system I would think but maybe I'm wrong! I don't ever remember seeming a self defense or one step system requirement for KKW. I know the poomsae has self defense in it but.... I think KKW leaves it up to the GM or Master for that. But I could be wrong. And when most people refer to ITF the other side of the coin most of the time is WTF( taegeuk poomsae,WTF sparring, etc.)

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know people look at it that way, But I was thinking more of a system as a whole. Seeing how the KKW follow WTF sparring and as for self defense that is left kind of open as far as KKW goes ( no set system ) It seems like ITF is a more inclusive system I would think but maybe I'm wrong! I don't ever remember seeming a self defense or one step system requirement for KKW. I know the poomsae has self defense in it but.... I think KKW leaves it up to the GM or Master for that. But I could be wrong. And when most people refer to ITF the other side of the coin most of the time is WTF( taegeuk poomsae,WTF sparring, etc.)
Not sure about the SD part of KKW curriculum or the one step, but every KKW school I know of do have some sort of SD training and a set of one steps also. We don't consider one steps as SD by itself. We use one steps as a precurser to SD.

I know many people think that ITF and WTF are equal in what they are but they are wrong. WTF is only the governing body that regulates the rules for Olympic style sparring. This is the education part that needs to be spread. ITF and KKW are more of equals.

Below is a snip I took of what KKW and WTF are from another web site.

The Kukkiwon is the only taekwondo organization whose dan ranks are recognized by World Taekwondo Federation (WTF).[2] The WTF governs the competition aspects of Taekwondo as the International Federation of Taekwondo of the International Olympic Committee (IOC). The WTF does not issue dan ranks or black belt certifications. According to the Korean/English Taekwondo Magazine "Taekwondo People" September 2007, the Kukkiwon and the WTF are separate organizations, although the two are often confused with each other. As a result, the term "WTF" is sometimes used to refer to the Kukkiwon-style taekwondo.

Note about the WTF:
The WTF was the bridgehead to promote taekwondo sparring as an international sport, now having made it an official sport of the 2000 Summer Olympics after participation in the 1988 Summer Olympics and 1992 Summer Olympics as a demonstration sport.

Latest Discussions