Training Tunes

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Santana Live at the Filmore. The congas are distinct through out the double CD and gives a constant beat especially for banging sticks.

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep, Rob Zombie natch! Though anything with a steady, fast and powerful beat eg. from the Prodigy helps to focus more energy into bagwork etc. Let's not forget the black album from Metallica [a classic]...
Far from being tacky - I gotta say, kata / forms / drills done along with some banging music is really quite cool indeed! Anyone seen that??

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MartialIntent said:
Yep, Rob Zombie natch! Though anything with a steady, fast and powerful beat eg. from the Prodigy helps to focus more energy into bagwork etc. Let's not forget the black album from Metallica [a classic]...
Far from being tacky - I gotta say, kata / forms / drills done along with some banging music is really quite cool indeed! Anyone seen that??

"Apocalyptica"! I've got to dig out my old CD. It is just instrumentals - psuedo-classical music with a heavy metal touch. A karate friend loaned it to me and I liked it so much I bought my own.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I love to listen to Iron Butterfly (In a Garden of eden) when I train by myself, nothing like old hard core Rock n Roll for me. Also Metallica Sand Man.
Terry

OP
Solidman82

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
this thread may be long gone but I'd like to add that Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children OST (disc 2 prefferrably) has some very awesome training tunes and the entire soundtrack is worth a listen as well. A few of the songs almost made me cry they were so good (nostalgia).

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Matrix Trilogy Soundtrack is the best way to go, especally fight before you sparr listen to the final fight music...I belive the title of it is Neorammorong(sp)

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know what it is about it...the mix of old and new intramental music just get the blood pumping, and theres nothing like remisesing about that epic battle

M

muffin_cup_of_death

I love doing bag training to AC/DC! lots of adrenaline pumping songs. I love rap too, so listen to WUTANG alot, since they have martial arts references in their songs...cool stuff man. Afu-Ra is a good one.

I think the gayest music to listen to while working out is....(drum roll)...

That stupid mortal kombat song! How annoying! I hate Tech-NO!

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't usually train to music, but when I do, I particularly like Stevie Ray Vaughan. The beat of his stuff, and similar blues stuff works for me. I also like
"Bad To The Bone", by George Thorogood, but I have to admit it also makes me laugh.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
muffin_cup_of_death said:
I hate Tech-NO!

I like some techno, particularly Crystal Method. I don't listen to it usually when I train though. It's too...hyper, I guess. I feel like I'm being attacked by my stereo. *panicked front snap kick to subwoofer*

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Navarre said:
I like some techno, particularly Crystal Method. I don't listen to it usually when I train though. It's too...hyper, I guess. I feel like I'm being attacked by my stereo. *panicked front snap kick to subwoofer*
\

I'm not a techno fan per se, but my daughter has an extensive collection, and there are a few of her songs I do like for when I do bag work. My reference in my earlier post to SRV and blues in general was more for kata.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
"Apocalyptica"!...It is just instrumentals - psuedo-classical music with a heavy metal touch.

A little more on this if anyone cares.....Apocalyptica is a four-piece cello arrangement. The members are from Finland, I believe, but don't quote me on that one. They are classically trained. Basically, they attended a european equivalent to Juliard (NYC). They perform Metallica covers flawlessly, note for note. It really proves the validity of Hetfield's writing and Hammett's playing.

Sorry...got carried away.

Usually, if it's not traditional Japanese music, we're listening to OLD blues. Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, etc.

Latest Discussions