Training Tunes

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure where the Mods are going to put this thread but it's about your favorite training music and why. Maybe we can pick up some decent tunes from eachother.

Nightwish - Ghost Love Score:
The perfect training song IMO. It goes on for 9 minutes, has a few changes in tempo so you get a time to rest, And picks up perfectly at about 5 minutes making you feel like working as hard as you possibly can. An awesome combination of Rock, Orchestra and operatic vocals.

Rocky IV Soundtrack - Training Montage:
Well really, does this one need anymore explaination. Good to keep rythm to. Reminds you of Rocky training. It's gotta work!

Minibosses - F-Zero (Big Blue):
A nice remix of an F-zero song done in rock fashion. Upbeat and high-tempo all the way.

I've got more but I'll post them as I think of them.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Offhand only 3 come to mind.

You've Got Another Thing Coming by Judas Priest
The Last Command by WASP
All We Are by Warlock

In all 3 cases I like them because the tempo is hard and fast. More importantly, the lyrics speak of determination and rising to higher levels of being.

I'm a heavy metal fan from the '80s I guess. Maybe I can think of more when I get home from work.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most of the people I work out with seem to play 70s/80s rock when we train. It must be that we're all of a certain age.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For weight training and basics, I have a mix with Rammstein, Tool, Danzig, Slipknot, Godsmack and Disturbd. For kata practice, I listen to koto and Chinese/Japanese court music.

OP
Solidman82

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Egg, you should try a band called Megaherz. They're almost exactly like Rammstein.

OP
Solidman82

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
More importantly, the lyrics speak of determination and rising to higher levels of being.

You should check out a song called Spirit Never Dies by Masterplan.
It's got an 80s metal feel to it and the harmony and lyrics are perfect for what you mentioned. It's even got a wicked guitar solo in the middle.

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
There's an instrumental song that was used in the movie Requiem for a Dream and then again in a bunch of previews, like the current one for Zathura and one of the LOTR:Two Towers trailer as well, but I have no idea what it's called. I just put the words "requiem" and "two towers" into Kazaa a couple years ago when I was a member and found it that way. It's a great song, but I wish I knew who performs it and what it's called.

OP
Solidman82

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The song is called Requiem and it's by the composer Clint Mansell. I don't know if you can really train to it though.

T

twayman

I've been on a Symphony X kick latley so... my vote goes to them... Listening to them right now in fact. :supcool:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Slayer is a good choice for hittin' anything. I like Native pipe music or nature sounds when doing tai chi. I like lzeppelin for kata. And I like the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack for conditioning...particularly the track called Wheel of Pain.

Icewater

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No country music? David Allen Coe will get me stirred up for some bag work!

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"The Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor! If you combine it with bad boxing technique, you could literally become ROCKY BALBOA!!!

Seriously, though, I like Vivaldi and Tchaikovsky. Sometimes we forget and overlook classical music.

OP
Solidman82

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I love classical music, it's just I find it hard to skip for 10 minutes to Beethoven's 5th. The music makes me want to meditate or go to sleep, not kick my shins into a tree.

White Belt
Reaction score
Nothing motivates me like the Ramones. God bless those guys....

Latest Discussions