Training in Japan

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have totally misunderstood what I've said so are making defensive and misleading posts. I don't believe in the least that repetition is bad, far from it. What I quoted was Neil Adams saying that in Japan Olympic Judo training is basically ALL repetition and very little fitness training, the ideal thing is that Judoka go to Japan for that technique training but do the fitness training at home as well as that repetition. For competitive Judo you need that fitness. Many countries by the way have Japanese Judo coaches.
We are talking about Olympic Judo, nothing else, not the quality of products made in Japan or elsewhere, not Kendo only Olympic Judo.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They just dont and never will cover the weight class.

They are doing in Rio, the -100kg Japanese Judoka has just won his round of 32 bout. He's the world champion too, strongly tipped to win gold.
There's only one representative from each country allowed in the competition, Japan has supplied one in each category.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Therapists don't really do much except urge you to talk about whatever's bothering you. You end up helping yourself; you do the hard work, not the therapist. My conclusion was that I need to step away from my obsession with vengeance and focus on cultivating inner peace, and not letting people like you get under my skin. Not all my posts show a lack of grounding in reality. Not everyone is saying that. I bounced some ideas around, found out what I was missing, and got pointed in the right direction; all the while putting up with your whining, disrespectful insults and hostile insinuations (with the occasional bits of useful information). Basically it just feels like you're harassing me. If you want to help teach me, you should choose a different approach or just plain ignore me and let me sink or swim on my own.
There are many kinds of psychotherapy. It sounds like your therapist used "talk therapy" (the successor to psychoanalysis). Rational Emotive Therapy and Cognitive Behavior Therapy both have more direct input from the therapist.

Finding the right therapist is a bit like finding the right art. Sometimes you don't know what you're looking for, but you'll know when you don't find it (and, eventually, when you do).

Zumorito

Green Belt
Reaction score
No more therapists; not enough money, and in Alaska the therapists are usually fresh out of University so I end up having to break them in lol. Seriously; I don't need another therapist nor can I afford one. I've done DBT, CBT, hypnotherapy, Sand Tray Therapy, you name it; I have enough resources piled into my brain to be my own therapist if I really need it haha....Which I did haha, which is why I'm here and not in prison right now. ...I'd say that's a success. XD

(Don't mind the defensive sarcasm, it's not aimed or anything it just happens sometimes....Little hyper today.)

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
acceptance was a key factor in my life, once i accepted the fact that i was wrong i began learning right.
grow mentally not physically.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never known why Americans embraced 'therapy' so readily and seem happy to spend a lot of time and money on it. The rest of the world just gets on with life, we can't afford all the time and effort it takes to see a shrink or whatever. Odd.

Zumorito

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ah, the Serenity Prayer. We used to recite it every night after an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. I was there mostly for narcotics, but we don't have a Narcotics Anonymous in my village lol.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You have totally misunderstood what I've said so are making defensive and misleading posts. I don't believe in the least that repetition is bad, far from it. What I quoted was Neil Adams saying that in Japan Olympic Judo training is basically ALL repetition and very little fitness training, the ideal thing is that Judoka go to Japan for that technique training but do the fitness training at home as well as that repetition. For competitive Judo you need that fitness. Many countries by the way have Japanese Judo coaches.
We are talking about Olympic Judo, nothing else, not the quality of products made in Japan or elsewhere, not Kendo only Olympic Judo.

A lot of the things that have happened in judo over the years had been brought about by international pressure. If there is one thing that Japan will never be its international. In the past many in were opposed to Judo even going in the Olympics but it was an international decision. They were totally against blue gi's but that also got passed.

When I said previously that my students trained morning afternoon and all weekends I should have mention that mornings are devoted to "fitness training'. Both Kendoka and Judoka in the gym and training room. In Japan they even have different word for it described as torainingu. They dont even use the word keiko or renshu to describe it.

As I said its 'not' all repetition. That's the old way, Japan has changed training methods to very scientific approach. It's brutal in the respect that we have to hard on ourselves if we wish to progress. Maybe if the UK was more in touch and did more shugyo they might win a gold medal one day.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of the things that have happened in judo over the years had been brought about by international pressure. If there is one thing that Japan will never be its international. In the past many in were opposed to Judo even going in the Olympics but it was an international decision. They were totally against blue gi's but that also got passed.

When I said previously that my students trained morning afternoon and all weekends I should have mention that mornings are devoted to "fitness training'. Both Kendoka and Judoka in the gym and training room. In Japan they even have different word for it described as torainingu. They dont even use the word keiko or renshu to describe it.

As I said its 'not' all repetition. That's the old way, Japan has changed training methods to very scientific approach. It's brutal in the respect that we have to hard on ourselves if we wish to progress. Maybe if the UK was more in touch and did more shugyo they might win a gold medal one day.

That was somewhat bitchy wasn't it?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That you think a bitchy comment is fine tells a lot I think. If you choose to think a comment from an Olympic Judoka about training being different in different countries ( self evident really) is a personal attack on you I can't help it, if you choose to over react and make snide comments I can't help that either. That you think Japanese Judo needs defending is very odd as I doubt they'd thank you for it, their actions speak loudly on the mats, the Japanese heavyweight won bronze last night btw. I don't know why you chose to have a rant over comments that weren't in the least disrespectful about Japanese judo is beyond me. As I said it's self evident that different countries train differently and you don't necessarily have to train in another country to do well.
For you the ideal might be travelling to Japan for Judo but the practicalities of young Judoka travelling from the UK to the other side of the world mean that it's not always possible, the expense of living and training in another country is huge, most have to earn a living and work to support themselves and often families. The air fares and the money needed to support themselves while in Japan are simply not there. Most Olympic hopefuls are young people, they have to get on the steps of future careers, they have university degrees to do, job training etc plus put in hours of training and travelling to competitions. that they even qualify for the Olympics is a huge step. There isn't public money spent on this, when they reach a very elite level they will get Lottery funding and even then there's not much of it. Look at any of our Olympians not just Judo and you will see the same story.
In the UK this is the reason as well as the fact that Judo is only done by a tiny minority of people despite it being in the country since the end of the 19th century. That we won a bronze in Rio is a huge thing for British Judo under circumstances that I imagine are strange for the Japanese Judoka.

That you choose to demean British Judo and it's Olympic Judoka is very sad and really not worthy of you, everyone does their best under circumstances that for many are very difficult, we are actually very proud of them. I would hate to know what you think of those Judoka who were invited to take part by the IOC from countries like Afghanistan, who in all honestly didn't 'perform' well due to lack of training etc but they lived up to Olympic standards, they did their countries proud and the crowd in Rio applauded them every bit as loudly if not more so than those Judoka who were at the top of their game with every facility available to them in the first World countries.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So how long how you done Judo in the UK? Did you ever meet Yukio Tani's sons? The BJA was not allowed to compete. You had to join the BJC. Over forty years ago every mother was sending their kid to Judo. Problem is it was always short lived with injuries and Tae Kwon do took its place.

What you dont seem to understand is Japanese Judo is Kodokan. What you talk of is IJF. An international group that make their own rules . Telling people what to do and wear with no accountability. Bit like the EEC. The whole concept of Budo is pulling together in "One group" That's the principle Judo want to stick to under Nippon Budokan and Monbusho (Japanese education authority)

I am not the least bit interested in some sob story of "How difficult it is to get to Japan". I already said that I have given a home to foreign judoka and other budo students to come and train in Japan for years. Japan has places like International Budō University (IBU) for such students where I have taught and attended lecture.

If you are hungry enough. If you love budo you go do it! You find a way, get an intro work hard save money and "go". Many people have done it but just dont do competition. Some put skills to other use and join the SAS

I did it and well enough to teach Japanese their own arts. So spare me the whining. I know what it takes.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My, you are really grumpy today, toothache? or just lacking the ability to understand what is written?

You seem to have taken innocent remarks ...that training is different in different countries... to be a personal attack on you, well sunshine, it's not all about you. Perhaps you might like to get off your high horse and actually applaud people for training whatever and wherever they can and stop coming across as smug and superior.

Your personal comments ..me 'whining' are noted, it seems that not only do you misunderstand what is being said you prefer to make personal remarks which is very amusing, I have thick skin and if you really want a slagging match then I suggest you look elsewhere. I find it boring.

All I was talking about was Olympic competitors in Judo in Rio this week, nothing else. You have managed to turn it into a personal attack, a political post, an attack on the UK and an attack on goodness know who. I didn't mention clothing, rules, etc yet you bring it all up. Some deeply held grudge perhaps? You have a bee in your bonnet obviously, please address all that to someone who gives a damn. It surely isn't me.

To reiterate what I said first.....different countries train differently, it's not always necessary to go to Japan to train Judo for Olympic competition, ideal perhaps but not necessary. Many places such as the French training team stress fitness training whereas in Japan techniques is stressed ( that doesn't mean either leave out fitness or techniques) and that's it, that's all I said. Now perhaps you'll stop clogging up this thread with your personal attacks. Doesn't matter if you don't I'm done, have a nice day.

Nobufusa

Green Belt
Reaction score
Doing what you love IS therapy! And if he needs actual therapy- that isn't mutually exclusive to Budo. As long as he doesn't pose a danger to others, I don't see why he can't do both therapy and Budo.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
While what you're saying has some merit, unfortunately you're coming into this 5 years after the fact, and without the requisite background in the personalities involved... the poster you're commenting on is no longer with us (on the forum), and showed themselves to have a number of mental issues, as well as legal/criminal problems, histories with violence towards themselves and others, narcotic usage, and far more. They had been in a number of forms of therapy, but had rejected them all, or found no benefit, and were delusional in many aspects of their way of interacting with the world. All of which are pretty much disqualifying when regarding the types of arts we're looking at here.

As in everything, context is key... and if you don't have it, your understanding can be somewhat off-base. That doesn't mean it's without merit, but it's value can be lowered, or it can be simply irrelevant to the actual situation you're addressing. Just something to keep in mind.

Latest Discussions