Instructing in the Koryu arts, from a different thread ...

Discussion in 'Koryu Corner' started by pgsmith, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    No, I'm really not. That comment was a statement of fact, not anger.

Oh, I did. I'm referenced in the first post, remember. You missed when I was giving you answers, and instead came back with your smarmy standard way of responding ("You started off good, but then you went here:.... You just can't help yourself"). Each quote that you pulled out was a legitimate answer that I addressed again in the next post. You never apologized for mis-reading and never addressed the points, instead continuing to apply the same incorrect assumptions throughout the thread.

It wasn't a question for me to answer, Glenn. You posed that the training needs to change, without having any experience or real understanding of even what the aims of Koryu training are, so I asked you why (according to you) the training needs to change.

This ducking of simple questions asking for clarification don't make you look like you know what you're doing.

Tell you what, if you're going to ask questions of Koryu practitioners, and we tell you what's what with Koryu, don't turn around and try to correct the answers we give you, okay? Unless you can back things up (and here, you really can't), you don't have any place saying what the training should be, or how far any particular approach goes. This is what I've been talking about with you both needing correction and not taking it, which is what actually gives us the problem.

That's not a change, though. And no, I never had a question there.

And no-one has said otherwise. But the Koryu are a road separate and distinct, in many ways, and trying to equate them to more "mainstream" martial arts just doesn't work in a number of contexts.

No, it's an honest and accurate one, based on knowing the realities involved. The point mainly being that you telling me how long I've got, and what I would have to do is like a 5 year old on their first day at school telling the teachers what they need to do there. You really don't have any perspective that's relevant.

No, I don't. But that doesn't mean you can make up what you think is going on, because you've been off base each time so far.

Helpful for a discussion forum, then. If you're not going to say anything, you don't have to say anything. In fact, it might be better if you don't... better to be silent and all that....

I count people I have had meaningful interactions and relationships with as friends, regardless of my most common interaction method.

Honestly, your opinion doesn't really carry much weight, positive or negative. Mainly as you don't really get what you're offering an opinion on.

Yes, he does. Most of the others deal with more modern combat/LEO specific topics, and so forth; additionally he has penned articles for the Koryu Books publications, and more. Look to http://www.edgework.info/ for more details.

You did get your answer, though. Both to your original question and to your later one.

That you don't know what is required, what my level is, what my position or relationship is, what my plans are, or what my intentions are. Even if I was to spell it out, you still wouldn't know, because you simply don't have a reference for it.

Then why are you asking about them?

No, at all levels. To repeat, at all levels.

Then why the question?

No, it doesn't. Typically there may be a senior member of the study group, who acts as the "leader" for it, but they are all students. When I talk about my students, I'm not talking about the study group members (although the members of one of the study groups are my students, within the group they aren't).

I think a lot of it. I'd wonder what you would really get out of it, though.