Training in Japan, a few tips!

kouryuu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Cheers Don, thankyou for the welcome, i look forward to it, i`ll be there from the 3rd-20th October, got a bit ahead of myself there, it`s the following week i arrive not next week, doh!.
Yeah, i heard it was crowded, it started to get that way just as i was leaving in April, if it continues to thin out a bit i`ll be happy.

See you soon

Normski, the wrinkly ninja!.

www.bujinkan-kouryuu.com

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cheers Don, thankyou for the welcome, i look forward to it, i`ll be there from the 3rd-20th October, got a bit ahead of myself there, it`s the following week i arrive not next week, doh!.
Yeah, i heard it was crowded, it started to get that way just as i was leaving in April, if it continues to thin out a bit i`ll be happy.

See you soon

Normski, the wrinkly ninja!.

www.bujinkan-kouryuu.com

Hey, welcome to Martial Talk! You have a great website!

BTW, I understand you concern about the disrespect shown by those visitors who disrupted a senior's class and only wanted to see the "head". I bet they didn't realize that most heads of respectable organizations hate that sort of crap.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Norm,

Welcome to MartialTalk! Lucky you, just a few more weeks and you will be in Japan. (I am definately jealous) Have a great time training and between now and then I would love to hear about some of your training.
Take care.

kouryuu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey, welcome to Martial Talk! You have a great website!

BTW, I understand you concern about the disrespect shown by those visitors who disrupted a senior's class and only wanted to see the "head". I bet they didn't realize that most heads of respectable organizations hate that sort of crap.

Thankyou Jonathan, i appreciate it.

As far as hating that sort of crap, i agree with you, the problem is as i see it is that the "heads" and the teachers under them won`t really say anything because it would be deemed bad manners, luckily it`s not everybody, just a few ignorant few.

kouryuu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Norm,

Welcome to MartialTalk! Lucky you, just a few more weeks and you will be in Japan. (I am definately jealous) Have a great time training and between now and then I would love to hear about some of your training.
Take care.

Thanks Brian, i go twice a year and have been since 1998 but i still can`t get enough of it, even at my age!!!!:ultracool

Koryu Rich

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I`m in Japan again next week,

i`ll be there from the 3rd-20th October, got a bit ahead of myself there, it`s the following week i arrive not next week, doh!.

Well Norm that scared the heck out of me! Thought I'd got my flight details mixed up :eek:

Cracking thread gents cheers for the tips.

Right I'm going back to lurking.

:lurk:

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well Norm that scared the heck out of me! Thought I'd got my flight details mixed up :eek:

Cracking thread gents cheers for the tips.

Right I'm going back to lurking.

:lurk:

Do not lurk to much! We would definately like to hear your opinons and issues regarding your training.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As far as hating that sort of crap, i agree with you, the problem is as i see it is that the "heads" and the teachers under them won`t really say anything because it would be deemed bad manners, luckily it`s not everybody, just a few ignorant few.

That is one piece of advise I can pass along.

Just because someone does not say something, does not mean they approve of what you do.

Don't think you can do what you want until someone tells you to stop. Be a bit paranoid and consider the idea that maybe what you are about to do will tick them off before you do anything.

Not if you want to stay on their good side.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is my first post here and it`s not a happy one.

I think you did exactly the right thing, Norm.

In my opinion, if you're going to train at Soke's Sunday class then the best way to ensure you can cram your way into the Hombu dojo for it is to spend the couple of hours prior to that getting well tenderized by Nagato sensei so that you're already there.

Really, it just boggles my brain that anyone would go over there and not take the opportunity to maximize their training experience by training with every shihan they possibly can in addition to Soke.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Really, it just boggles my brain that anyone would go over there and not take the opportunity to maximize their training experience by training with every shihan they possibly can in addition to Soke.

I can imagine people that live here for as little as a few months taking off part of Sunday. Many Japanese work on Saturday as well as the rest of the week and Sunday is a big day for dates. When Hatsumi was teaching from 9-11 on Sunday, leaving right after could mean that you were able to make a lunch date.

But the people that came for only a few weeks and then would take off right after class boggles my mind. I used to have the opposite problem. From where I come from it was hard to make it to class by 9 and so a few times I showed up only for Nagato's class. It blew my mind to see all the gaijin walking in the other direction as I got close to the dojo.

Honestly, if you are not seeing a Japanese girl (guy) and have most of the days during the week off, I don't see any reason to not take the time to train with every shihan you can.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can imagine people that live here for as little as a few months taking off part of Sunday. Many Japanese work on Saturday as well as the rest of the week and Sunday is a big day for dates. When Hatsumi was teaching from 9-11 on Sunday, leaving right after could mean that you were able to make a lunch date.

But the people that came for only a few weeks and then would take off right after class boggles my mind. I used to have the opposite problem. From where I come from it was hard to make it to class by 9 and so a few times I showed up only for Nagato's class. It blew my mind to see all the gaijin walking in the other direction as I got close to the dojo.

Honestly, if you are not seeing a Japanese girl (guy) and have most of the days during the week off, I don't see any reason to not take the time to train with every shihan you can.

So this is the Bujinkan's version of the kata collector: the mat-time-with-soke collector....

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Hey Don,

You are right on the money. When you are only over there for a couple of weeks and you traveled around the world to get there you need to really get as much training in as you can.
icon14.gif

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So this is the Bujinkan's version of the kata collector: the mat-time-with-soke collector....

Often one and the same person........

Hatsumi really does not have the time IMO to go over the basics. Some of the shihan I have trained with will point them out. I think that the guys that only go to Hatsumi want the rank that only he can give and avoid having any faults pointed out to them so they can keep thier illusion of mastery.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Hatsumi really does not have the time IMO to go over the basics. Some of the shihan I have trained with will point them out. I think that the guys that only go to Hatsumi want the rank that only he can give and avoid having any faults pointed out to them so they can keep thier illusion of mastery.

Hey Don,

I think you are right on this. I particularly enjoyed training with Senno Sensei when I was there last. Small class, lots of hands on instruction and he was kind enough to take the time and point out some of the
mistakes that my partner and I were making. This was also true of all
of the Shihan that we trained with to varying degrees. Shiraishi Sensei
took a lot of time with each of us and we personally felt every technique that he did as he demonstrated it on everyone.
icon10.gif

For people chasing rank they probably just want to go to Hatsumi Senseis
class. However, they are missing out on having their basics checked and
rechecked by the Japanese Shihan. Just my 02. for what it is worth.
icon6.gif

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Hastumi's time? Or Hatsumi's honor? It seems logical that Hatsumi Soke would entrust upon his Shihan to mind the basics and the bolstering of his students. If Hatsumi's Shihan have earned the faith and trust of Soke to achieve that, then Hatsumi won't be watching for the basics...am I correct?

Is it fair to say that the picture being painted is darker than I expected? That there is more than just simple ego....these "collectors" are using Hatsumi's own honor against him to short-circuit their way to rank?

What sort of belwether do you think training with Hatsumi's shihan truly is? If a student is seriously interested in studying Taijutsu, should the student drill his/her prospective Sensei about who they trained with if/when they went to Honbu?

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hastumi's time? Or Hatsumi's honor? It seems logical that Hatsumi Soke would entrust upon his Shihan to mind the basics and the bolstering of his students. If Hatsumi's Shihan have earned the faith and trust of Soke to achieve that, then Hatsumi won't be watching for the basics...am I correct?

Is it fair to say that the picture being painted is darker than I expected? That there is more than just simple ego....these "collectors" are using Hatsumi's own honor against him to short-circuit their way to rank?

What sort of belwether do you think training with Hatsumi's shihan truly is? If a student is seriously interested in studying Taijutsu, should the student drill his/her prospective Sensei about who they trained with if/when they went to Honbu?

Hey Carol, it definately is his time in my opinion. Hatsumi Senseis classes are packed with people. (it is like nothing you have ever seen before) Every class is like a major seminar for most instructors. He has new people coming in every day from around the world. He simply could not check everyones basics. So training with the Japanese Shihan is very, very important to get your basics checked.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I've seen that in my own system...

People would ignore very senior instructors or barely pay attention to what they had to say -- or even worse, fail to practice basics at all, then go to a clinic or training session with the chief instructor, and be frustrated when they can't pick up what he's teaching.

If you want to make the best of your time with THE top instructor -- you need to put in the time with the people he's taught so that he doesn't have to repeat the same lesson forever!

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen that in my own system...

People would ignore very senior instructors or barely pay attention to what they had to say -- or even worse, fail to practice basics at all, then go to a clinic or training session with the chief instructor, and be frustrated when they can't pick up what he's teaching.

If you want to make the best of your time with THE top instructor -- you need to put in the time with the people he's taught so that he doesn't have to repeat the same lesson forever!

Hey Jim,

Glad to have you here. You are definately right on in your assessment in my opinion.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Carol, it definately is his time in my opinion. Hatsumi Senseis classes are packed with people. (it is like nothing you have ever seen before) Every class is like a major seminar for most instructors. He has new people coming in every day from around the world. He simply could not check everyones basics. So training with the Japanese Shihan is very, very important to get your basics checked.

It is not just that. I think that it would be a waste of his time and he would never get around to teaching that which only he can teach. There are guys that can teach you how to use your knees here in Japan. But they can't teach you the things they go to Hatsumi to learn. If Hatsumi had to keep going over how to make a simple punch every time a new group of people came in he would never pass along anything to his senior students.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is not just that. I think that it would be a waste of his time and he would never get around to teaching that which only he can teach. There are guys that can teach you how to use your knees here in Japan. But they can't teach you the things they go to Hatsumi to learn. If Hatsumi had to keep going over how to make a simple punch every time a new group of people came in he would never pass along anything to his senior students.

Hey Don,

You are right on that. Imagine if he had to teach and reteach the basics at each class with anywhere from fifty to a hunderd or so people. Fortunately the system is in place that you can go and train with Soke and learn the techniques in a way that only he can present them. Then go and train with the Shihan who break it down and also give you a good grounding in the fundamental techniques.
icon14.gif