Training in Japan, a few tips!

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think people should not be put off if someone ask's them a question online. (lord knows I get a ton every day as well) For myself it is simple in that I wish to help people as much as possible and really what is a few minutes here and there if I can help someone out. :idunno: This then allows us to forge the beginning of a relationship that probably will be beneficial for both of us.
icon10.gif
I respect anyone's personal decision not to answer emails because they are to busy or have to much going on and yet if you can help someone out why not! :idunno: Just my rambling's as usual.

El Guapo-san

White Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like Shawn should install an auto-repeater on that specific email address. I've had to work at getting info, but I now have people that I like to train with when I can make it over...

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have said it before and it bears repeating- if you won't put in time to find the answer to a question you could find for yourself, I do not feel any onus to help you.

I very much agree! I get the feeling Joji is none too happy about frivolous emails either. I was looking at his site one day and he has or had a paragraph to say about exhausting all other options before sending him emails.

Alot of people simply don't look and some do searches but a 5 second search doesn't count. :(

Of course, when people ask questions, I do try to help, but not if they hand me a laundry list of things that I have to prepare and provide. Quick questions are cool! :cool:

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think people should not be put off if someone ask's them a question online. (lord knows I get a ton every day as well) For myself it is simple in that I wish to help people as much as possible and really what is a few minutes here and there if I can help someone out. :idunno: This then allows us to forge the beginning of a relationship that probably will be beneficial for both of us.
icon10.gif
I respect anyone's personal decision not to answer emails because they are to busy or have to much going on and yet if you can help someone out why not! :idunno: Just my rambling's as usual.

Cause that is just the way you are and the way it should be- if you can help and you have the information- share or make your terms. Don't just blow somebody off because you don't know them or haven't talked to them. Sure, it can be an annoyance- but this forum IS for the sharing of knowledge , resources , and friendships.
Nuff said.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cause that is just the way you are and the way it should be- if you can help and you have the information- share or make your terms. Don't just blow somebody off because you don't know them or haven't talked to them. Sure, it can be an annoyance- but this forum IS for the sharing of knowledge , resources , and friendships.

You seem to think that other people have infinite time to spend in front of the computer to help other people. Some of whom, as Bigshadow pointed out, will not even do a little research of their own.

Seriously, I am considering just closing my accounts here and at e-budo after some of the demands I get in my PM box for information. I don't want to charge people for my help, but I am no one else's servent. And I resent being treated like one. I resent the implications in the post above that somehow it is my duty to help other folks. I will if I want to- and if I don't want to you have no right to try to order me to do otherwise.

Am I making myself clear?

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nobody said YOU had to- who cares anyway- I was just stating that Brian is an open individual and that he actually tries to help- maybe not everybody wants to be an *** like you

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Warm hugs all around.
Well I did try asking online since it seemed the most logical sense. After a bit I was Pm'd by a few people.
I did try and search a bit online for a while. I did use Jorji's site as well. It was useful.
After I got to Japan I just took the advice and asked then, there is no rush to class as you are more interested in your pillow.

I didn't order anyone though. I just a super polite guy :)

Next time I go I will focus on the Shihans class and avoid Soke's personally. I will get more training in then.
I want to see Nagouchi since his class ran into my travel days.

LuzRD

Black Belt
Reaction score
why cant we all just get along? why must it bring out the ever looming...
Mod. Note.
Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful.

-David Russ
-MT Moderator-

Mr. Roley, i really hope you were just venting when you said "I am considering just closing my accounts here and at e-budo". that would be a loss for both sites! i really appreciate/enjoy your posts and threads here and on e-budo when im over there. Dont let the spoonfed masses drive you away from what you enjoy, if not for yourself then do it for the rant thread! that thing eems to have a life of its own.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr. Roley, i really hope you were just venting when you said "I am considering just closing my accounts here and at e-budo". that would be a loss for both sites! i really appreciate/enjoy your posts and threads here and on e-budo when im over there.

I will second that! :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You seem to think that other people have infinite time to spend in front of the computer to help other people. Some of whom, as Bigshadow pointed out, will not even do a little research of their own.

Seriously, I am considering just closing my accounts here and at e-budo after some of the demands I get in my PM box for information. I don't want to charge people for my help, but I am no one else's servent. And I resent being treated like one. I resent the implications in the post above that somehow it is my duty to help other folks. I will if I want to- and if I don't want to you have no right to try to order me to do otherwise.

Am I making myself clear?
I understand where you're coming from... but I hope you don't give in to the jerks.

It seems like lots of folks want someone to hand them the answers instead of telling them where they can find the answers. And that's not limited to schedules at a dojo that are published in various places... I used to be very active on a law enforcement forum, and every year, around the time final papers were due, we could count on the lists of questions that someone was supposed to get by interviewing a law enforcement officer, or questions that were clearly lifted from a test/assignment, like "describe the impact of Mapp v. Ohio on law enforcement." Several of the regulars were also college instructors; I know at least one saw the homework assignment he gave show up! Nobody wanted to hear "go make an appointment with your local police department" or "the case citation is..." They wanted us to do their homework...

To me, if you advertise your involvement you do have to accept a certain likelihood that people will ask you about it. But that doesn't give them a right to be rude, or to demand anything, or to expect more than simply being shown where to find the answers. Were I to be planning a trip to Japan, I might ask one of you "which class/training session would you recommend to me" or "where can I find the schedule of classes at..." but -- first, that wouldn't entitle me to an answer! Second... the most I would expect would be "look for X-shihan's classes" or "the schedule is posted at...", not a gilded itinerary and personal guide.

I hope none of you let yourselves be taken advantage of or abused!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note:

Attention all users:

Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful.

-Carol Kaur-
-MT Moderator-

saru1968

Green Belt
Reaction score
Don, if masses of 'PM's are botheriog you just turn them off the 'recieve private messages option' for awhile.

Zida'sukara

Black Belt
Reaction score
I can imagin that everything is getting to much for Mr. Grey if his mailbox is full with questions. I cannot look in his mailbox so I cannnot judge.
But I do also think he is a bit overreactive with his example. The person could have written it in a more nicer and flowerly way but than Mr. Grey would have received a very long question.

"This to me looks like a purchase order for a product (Only in this case there was no 'purchase') rather than a request for a favour from someone you've never met."
I dont think the persons question is that bad personally, it is just short and direct.

"This was an extreme example."
If this is already extreme than the rest must be very nice and friendly in my eyes.

I do think that the person behind the question is a person that should have looked more himself to find his information but this is not an impolite question, it is just as short as possible. He started the question with "I was wondering" that indicates to me that the person did not mean to be impolite at all, for that person Mr. Grey is also a stranger.

Opinions vary from person to person, I would not have reacted to this as Mr. Grey but I dont know how many people are requesting for his help. But it is obvious in my eyes that he must feel overworked when this question is upsetting him this much.

So my advise for Mr. Grey is not to worry about it to much and if the amount of questions are that bad than he should perhaps put a filter on it or block it for a while. I dont think somebody wants to upset him on purpose so there is no need to be angry about it. If it is getting to much than he should protect himself, by being angry/frustrated about it, he will only harm himself.

Zida'sukara

Black Belt
Reaction score
Little note: There are people from different cultures here. Please also keep that in mind. Something that is normal in another country can be not normal somewhere else.

Also when somebodies mother language is not english than it might happen that that person is using a word(s) that gives another turn to a reply than really meant or typing a very short question that might not satisfy the receiver but the intention could have been otherwise. So getting frustrated about it is not nice for both sides.;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Little note: There are people from different cultures here. Please also keep that in mind. Something that is normal in another country can be not normal somewhere else.

Also when somebodies mother language is not english than it might happen that that person is using a word(s) that gives another turn to a reply than really meant or typing a very short question that might not satisfy the receiver but the intention could have been otherwise. So getting frustrated about it is not nice for both sides.;)

This is very true, the problem with the internet..forums and emails.. is that you cannot determine any emotion behind the words, unless you write lol after every sentence you mean to be amusing or use those funny little widget things to denote what you mean, it can be hard going! we have problems translating UK English to American English sometimes! ( still you want to try Scottish English, Geordie English, Welsh English, manchester English etc etc lol)

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that what is frustrating for people going to Japan is
that there are no times, dates, location, fees for training posted for training with the Japanese Shihan. (imagine traveling around the world, spending big bucks and not knowing your itinerary) I also understand why these are not posted and yet this does cause alot of questions to be asked routinely that would otherwise be avoided. I know
that when I went over it was simply put to me do not worry about
it just show up at the Hombu and we will go from there. Since
then I have been approached maybe thirty times (or more) via email etc.
with someone asking the same question. I try to recall from my
notes who was teaching and when and where and pass it along
as best I can. Fortunately Mr. Ohashi's website has Soke's
schedule and you can at least plan around that. (That webiste is
a great tool for Budo Taijutsu practitioner's :http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/bujinkan/ )

Many people in the Bujinkan have had to go through extreme measures to gain some knowledge so I can certainly understand their reluctance to just easily part with some of it or feeling annoyed when someone asks for
something that they could find possibly by doing research. However, since we all represent the Bujinkan and we are all Buyu's let's all try and help each other when we can. Yet if it becomes to much then do not worry about it and take care of your own life (and your loved ones) as that is what is most important.
icon6.gif

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy for someone who fails to do any research on their own and demands to be spoon-fed information. Would you call up your local library and say, "I'm too lazy to come down and look through that card catalog thingy. Please select some good science fiction books for me and call me back at home and at work with a list of good titles. Oh, and I need some reading material for this weekend, so get cracking." ??

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy for someone who fails to do any research on their own and demands to be spoon-fed information. Would you call up your local library and say, "I'm too lazy to come down and look through that card catalog thingy. Please select some good science fiction books for me and call me back at home and at work with a list of good titles. Oh, and I need some reading material for this weekend, so get cracking." ??

You know Kreth it is not so much a question of someone being lazy. If someone is really, really lazy then just point them in a direction for them to do their research. However it does seem that people are taking it to the other extreme at times and denying or putting up road block's to help which simply is not to cool in my book.

The questions I have received have almost to a fault alway's been one were they required someone in the know. Very few questions have been something that was easily obtainable over the internet.

Latest Discussions