Traditional v modern

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been running Unix or Linux for long enough that I didn't know this.
It's still crap, though. :)
Yeah, I use Linux as my primary OS at home with a small Windows partition for games. Living in Seattle and working in IT I don't have the option to ignore Windows, much as I might like to do so...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The logic chain here, unless I'm misreading it, is:

A (You are using Pugilism) + B (You and others use Pugilism do it to keep it alive) = C (Pugilism is a traditional martial art)

The problem here is that he is not saying that makes it a traditional martial art for that person or group of practioners but overall.
The logic is sound, if the premise is agreed upon. If we agree that an art is "traditional" if it is being practiced in order to preserve the art (aka "keep it alive"), then pugilism being practiced by even one person for the preservation of the art would make it traditional. Or are you suggesting that there is a minimum number? Or are you challenging the premise?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This is not true any more and was complicated even as far back as 1993. In '93 MS released the Windows NT 3.1 product line as an enterprise OS and it was not built on top of DOS, though you could access a command shell that allowed you to use DOS commands. So, 2 product lines, 1 built on top of DOS; Windows 3.x and 95/97/ME and the other based on Windows NT; Windows Server and Workstation NT 3.x, NT 4, Windows Server and Workstation 2000, Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2012 and 2016, Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 10.

This is complicated further by the fact that NT and Windows 2000 did not have consumer versions. Windows 2000 Workstation was intended to be both a consumer and business OS, but the hardware vendors didn't think the consumer market was ready for it and pushed MS into producing Windows ME, which was not originally in the plan. So with Windows XP MS split the lines into more obviously client and server OS's built on the same core technology and started offering different flavors of the client OS targeted at different use cases. On the client side XP had Home, Professional and eventually Media Center versions and the server side there was Server 2003 in various configurations. This has continued to this day with some variation.
Are you absolutely sure about this? I remember Windows 3.1 and 3.11 (Windows for Workgroups) very well, and IIRC, you still had to boot to DOS (version 6.something, I think) and "execute" Windows. It was Windows 95 that was the game changer. Now I need to google it... :)

I also remember two other significant changes with Windows 95. the first was Winsock, which allowed us to run a graphical browser on the WWW. The other was "plug and play." Prior to Windows 95, you had to install drivers and mess around with I/O ports and all kinds of crap, to install a printer, modem, or some other peripheral. Win95 changed that.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you absolutely sure about this? I remember Windows 3.1 and 3.11 (Windows for Workgroups) very well, and IIRC, you still had to boot to DOS (version 6.something, I think) and "execute" Windows. It was Windows 95 that was the game changer. Now I need to google it... :)

I also remember two other significant changes with Windows 95. the first was Winsock, which allowed us to run a graphical browser on the WWW. The other was "plug and play." Prior to Windows 95, you had to install drivers and mess around with I/O ports and all kinds of crap, to install a printer, modem, or some other peripheral. Win95 changed that.
Oh yeah, Windows 95 was a game changer and DOS was no longer really an independent thing, though you could essentially still boot into DOS with effort it wasn't really intended to be run that way and I don't recall how full featured it was in that mode. Windows 95 booted in DOS and then loaded everything else on top and then sort of cut the DOS feet out from under itself. The two were so tightly integrated that you never saw DOS unless you went looking for it. So, yeah, you're right, even in Windows 95 it was less DOS and more Windows.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The logic chain here, unless I'm misreading it, is:

A (You are using Pugilism) + B (You and others use Pugilism do it to keep it alive) = C (Pugilism is a traditional martial art)

This is correct but you are making it an Either, Or choice and you are only getting half of what I'm saying.
TRUE: A (You are using Pugilism) + B (You and others use Pugilism do it to keep it alive) = C (Pugilism is a traditional martial art)
ALSO TRUE: A (You are using Pugilism) + B (You and others use Pugilism do actually fight with) = C (Pugilism is a modern art)

If you don't care if your Pugilism is functional then you will be happy with just learning the old ways
If you care if your Pugilism is functional then your Pugilism will evolve simply because it has to address the current hand to hand combat skills of the day. You won't be able to afford to "keep it old" or "Keep it in the context of a different time period."

It's no different than a traditional wheel vs a modern wheel.
This is a traditional wheel. If you don't care about a lot of the modern things that today's wheels must deal with then. Learning how to make this type of wheel is fine. You are preserving a tradition

The wheels on your car are not traditional wheels. The designers of those wheels will always be forced to move away to tradition as they seek to make wheels highly functional.

The wheel is both Traditional and Modern.

Fighting systems are the same way. Exactly like the Wheel. If you care about keeping your system functional then it's going to evolve to meet the needs of the present day.
Fighting systems can also be traditional at the same time and is often referred to as traditional when the system no longer seeks to meet the needs of the present day fighting. In this case people just do it to keep alive the "old ways" they are sort of like the keepers of history. If you need a blue print then they got it. For people like that the need to be functional is not important.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
By that definition, I (and I suspect many others) practice both. I practice and teach exactly (in so far as I am capable) as I was taught. I also tweak things (and encourage students to tweak things) to make the system work as well as possible for each individual.
It's two, TWO arts in ONE!
It's hard for people to see that a fighting system can be 2 different things at once. For most people it has to be either Traditional or Functional. It can't be both. By the nature of Function, anything that wants to remain functional has to change and always be modern. Improvements will need to be made even if the technique is old, the delivery of it will most certainly be made more efficient and effective.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you can prove that the modern method is better than the traditional method, it makes no sense to keep training the traditional method.
If your traditional method is functional then it has already undergone some changes and will probably continue to do so, as long as users want to ensure that it's functional enough to meet the present day needs of fighting. If your traditional method is functional then by nature it will become the modern method, but it will lose much of it's tradition and desire to keep the "old way." The same person may choose to keep the "old ways" as a way to preserve the tradition. But he will certainly not use it to fight if it's not functional.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You either punch from your guard, or you punch from your waist. You can't do both. If you train both, when you have to use it, you may confuse yourself.
I can do both. I can punch from my guard, and from my waist, I can also punch from an extended arm. There's not confusion for me because each has their own time and place. I cannot biologically punch from my waist if my arm is already extended. I cannot biologically punch with an extended arm if my arms are in a guard. I have videos of me doing all 3 of these things and it's not confusing to me.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You either punch from your guard, or you punch from your waist. You can't do both. If you train both, when you have to use it, you may confuse yourself.

I can punch from either, and from lots of other places, without any confusion whatsoever.
Because there's more than one way to throw a punch.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can punch from either, and from lots of other places, without any confusion whatsoever.
Because there's more than one way to throw a punch.
This is where all of those methods of power generation come into play.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fighting systems can also be traditional at the same time and is often referred to as traditional when the system no longer seeks to meet the needs of the present day fighting. In this case people just do it to keep alive the "old ways" they are sort of like the keepers of history. If you need a blue print then they got it. For people like that the need to be functional is not important.
I don’t see traditional methods in this way at all. Traditional methods have simply been around for a long time. They have been around for a long time because they have proven to be effective methods. They are still effective.

Everybody, in every generation, makes some modification to the method. This is part of what it means to be human. So a method today is not exactly the same as it was 400 years ago. But that does not automatically mean that it is no longer the same system.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don’t see traditional methods in this way at all. Traditional methods have simply been around for a long time.
not necessarily. Most traditional styles today are relatively young.
They have been around for a long time because they have proven to be effective methods.
this literally made me laugh. There are so many possible reasons something hangs around that have nothing to do with efficacy.
They are still effective.
another laughable assertion grounded in absolutely nothing but wishful thinking and fairy dust.
Everybody, in every generation, makes some modification to the method. This is part of what it means to be human. So a method today is not exactly the same as it was 400 years ago. But that does not automatically mean that it is no longer the same system.
i don’t not disagree with this. :)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Traditional methods have simply been around for a long time.
Yes. This is the preservation of tradition. They aren't around for a long time because they are effective, they are around a long time because people preserve the tradition. It evolves because it's effective which is why boxing from the 1800's doesn't look like today's boxing. Box are called boxing but both aren't the same system. Today's boxing has things and does things that were done during the earlier days of boxing. Same sport but definitely not the same system. Same system would suggest that there have been no changes. It may have the same name but it's definitely not the same system of fighting.

Example: Both are called lion dances. There are things that are done in Modern Lion Dance that were never done in Traditional Lion Dance. Traditional lion dance has a lot of ritual and superstition attached to it. Modern lion dance does not.

Traditional Lion Dance

Modern Lion Dance

Traditional Lion Dance has a lot more kung fu movement than modern lion dance.

Think of it like this. You and your family share same last name and your kids (if you have any) share your blood and your wife's blood. Now expand this blood line out to the uncles, cousins, grandparents who may share the same last name. This is the "Same Name" Now think of each family group "This is the system" Each Family group has their ow approach to doing things. While they have the same name they do not use the same approach to doing things.

Wing Chun is a good example of this. So while the name is Wing Chun. The systems can very from one "family group" to another.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
i don’t not disagree with this. :)
ha ha ha. an so it begins. lol. But back on track. Jow Ga kung fu is considered a traditional martial arts but it hasn't been around in comparison to other systems. It's made of older systems but that's not why it's seen as traditional. Jow Ga schools do a lot of Traditional Chinese Culture stuff. From Shrines, honoring the dead, and tea ceremonies, most Jow Ga schools still do those things. A good example would be the lion dance. Our lion dance is heavy into numerology so the lion has to do certain actions a certain amount of times for good luck, blessing. Screw that up and you curse the people who you are doing the lion dance from lol. Stuff like this isn't what the student's actually believe, but it's tradition so we do it. It's always ceremony and never just a lion dance.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can do both.
When you train "groin kick, face punch" combo, do you train 1 way vs. the other way, or do you train both ways?

As far as I know, this "kick, jab, hook, hook" combo doesn't exist in any traditional MA form. You may call this modern training instead of traditional training.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes. This is the preservation of tradition. They aren't around for a long time because they are effective, they are around a long time because people preserve the tradition. It evolves because it's effective which is why boxing from the 1800's doesn't look like today's boxing. Box are called boxing but both aren't the same system. Today's boxing has things and does things that were done during the earlier days of boxing. Same sport but definitely not the same system. Same system would suggest that there have been no changes. It may have the same name but it's definitely not the same system of fighting.

Example: Both are called lion dances. There are things that are done in Modern Lion Dance that were never done in Traditional Lion Dance. Traditional lion dance has a lot of ritual and superstition attached to it. Modern lion dance does not.

Traditional Lion Dance

Modern Lion Dance

Traditional Lion Dance has a lot more kung fu movement than modern lion dance.

Think of it like this. You and your family share same last name and your kids (if you have any) share your blood and your wife's blood. Now expand this blood line out to the uncles, cousins, grandparents who may share the same last name. This is the "Same Name" Now think of each family group "This is the system" Each Family group has their ow approach to doing things. While they have the same name they do not use the same approach to doing things.

Wing Chun is a good example of this. So while the name is Wing Chun. The systems can very from one "family group" to another.
You are convoluting the reason the old systems still have practitioners. They continue to exist because they work. While there are some cases where the preservation of an old archaic method is done for historical purposes, those would be in the minority. The vast majority of traditional (old) methods that continue to exist do so because the people doing them continue to find them effective and useful and relevant.

The fact that there is always change as I mentioned, is a different issue. The real issue, the real reason traditional methods continue to exist is that they are still relevant.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By that definition, I (and I suspect many others) practice both. I practice and teach exactly (in so far as I am capable) as I was taught. I also tweak things (and encourage students to tweak things) to make the system work as well as possible for each individual.
It's two, TWO arts in ONE!
By that definition, I definitely practiced a traditional art for about 12 years, and have spent the last 18 years practicing a (mostly) modern art - all in the same art.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The vast majority of traditional (old) methods that continue to exist do so because the people doing them continue to find them effective and useful and relevant.
This is only a small number of people in comparison of those who only do it for exercise, fitness, or just the fun of learning a real martial arts form. One only needs to look at how a school advertises itself to know what type of students the schools has or is trying to attract.

The first thing I think of when someone says kung fu sparring is "basic kick boxing skills"
The first thing I expect to see when someone says kung fu sparring is "basic kick boxing skills"

Where's the Kung Fu? I don't see Hungar Techniques and I don't see Shaolin Kung Fu techniques. So when you say "effective" kung fu, then why isn't it here?

Where's the kung fu? I'm sure their forms have more techniques than what they are showing.

I don't know about other martial arts systems but Kung Fu didn't thrive because there are a bunch of kick butt kung fu fighters out there. People see this and want to learn a form

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can prove that the modern method is better than the traditional method, it makes no sense to keep training the traditional method.

This is the traditional hip throw training.

- You use hip to "bounce" your opponent's body up.
- It requires body spinning. If your opponent spins with you, he can drag you down with him.
- There is no set up.

This is the modern hip throw training.

- You use low horse stance to high horse stance to "lift" your opponent's body up.
- You enter through an angle. It does not require body spinning.
- You set it up with a low roundhouse kick.

That's kind of the point JGW was making. If you just want to preserve the art at a fixed point, then "better" isn't a consideration. If you are looking for best function, then "how it has always been done" isn't much of a consideration. I think most of us are somewhere between those two.

Latest Discussions