Traditional or not?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Years ago, I was told that it was "traditional" in TKD to not roll the sleeves on your dobok during class. Since then I've seen plenty of Korean & American masters & GM's roll their sleeves. I'm guessing it was just the preference of my master at the time.

What things were you told were traditional that you later found out were just your instructor's (or someone else's) preference?

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We never roll our sleeves up. I was explicitly told once that there is no such thing as traditional TKD, only TKD.

Edit: See, one would never see a formation of military people who were not dressed in a uniform way -- i.e., some with sleeves rolled up, some not. I think this is to keep everyone looking nice, but I am not sure.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also trained at a school where we rolled up our sleeves often....but never for promotion! It makes sense that it's a "uniform" thing. But I find it funny that some schools don't do it.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do not roll up the sleeve, I was always told not to so I never did. I do as my old instructor so none of my students do as well.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't honestly say its ever come up in my TKD classes. We wear a combination of traditional Gis and the TKD V neck doboks, and I always roll my sleeves way up, to the elbow basically. I like that Japanese tournament cut Gi look and feel. I wear stretch waist size 3 pants instead of the size 5 that came with all my tops as well, so I have some seriously high ankles going on as well. Basically I don't want "uniform" within 8" of my anles or wrists either in TKD or karate.
And I could add that it drives me to distraction when I'm watching other classes and teenage karateka are standing on the backs of their pant legs because they're just a little too long.

turtle

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We were always told never to roll up our sleeves and anyone silly enough to do it, got to do push-ups. Also, the first school I trained at had no air conditioning and the black belts were required to wear the full uniform year round, while gup ranks could wear a t-shirt with their uniform pants/belt during the summer months. I guess it was some kind of sign of discipline, having to sweat through those hundred degree days in a long sleeve uniform.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We can wear a t-shirt on sparring days or during the summer on any day. I have started wearing my dobak at all times though since this recent outbreak of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. I figure, the less of my skin that is exposed to the mats the better. I've never seen anyone roll up the sleeves on their dobak top. I've seen plenty of people with their pants legs rolled up because their uniforms need alteration. I think that's just an accident waiting to happen and I don't know why it's allowed.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know iceman another tradition I have always followed as been turning your back to your instructor when fixing the Dobok or uniform. It was always thatw ay anybody else do that.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It has never been an issue in my classes. We generally just keep our sleeves down and no one cares. Some people choose to wear T-shirts with the school logo on it, and some people choose to wear TKD shoes instead of going barefoot. However, unless someone's choice of dressing up is a major distraction, then Sanbunim doesn't care. He just wants to make sure that we are learning the curriculum and doing everything correctly.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You know iceman another tradition I have always followed as been turning your back to your instructor when fixing the Dobok or uniform. It was always thatw ay anybody else do that.

Yeah, I hear you on that one! I was always taught to do that during my Shotokan days, and it has carried over to my TKD training. Not mandatory in my TKD classes, but I do it anyways out of respect.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Yes, we do this too. And, I can only guess that its something that has come out of the Korean culture. Its funny, all of these things I do without thinking about them (I can only speak for myself).

We were told to turn around, away from the Instructor, to fix the belt, and so on. I have no idea how it would give offense otherwise, but I am of course happy to comply, and quite frankly, there's something interesting to me about this. Evidently, many TKD schools (and other MA schools too), have these rules, and I wonder how many people actually know where these things came from?

I'm not saying that I disagree with these rules, I'm only saying that it would be interesting to know the origins of some of them.

Also, when the Assistant Instructor teaches, they may stand a little to the right of the flags, not directly in front of them at the bowing time before and after the class. The Master Instructor, on the other hand, when he teaches, stands DIRECTLY in front of (and close) to the flags when we all bow in and bow out.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Also, all of this rolling up the pants, that is not acceptable. It looks horrible, and is an accident waiting to happen.

I even think that rolling up the sleeves is in bad taste (I only speak for myself, I was taught not to do that). But, its worse to have the pants not hemmed right. You can trip and fall.

No, that is bad. It should not be allowed, in my opinion.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We don't roll our sleeves or pants up - as newguy12 says, it's a hazard if they come unrolled, especially the pants, and it looks bad.

We also turn away from people who outrank us when adjusting our uniforms; it's a courtesy. When someone I know asked about why you turned a particular direction, here's what he was told: someone asked Gen. Choi about it at a seminar, and his answer was, roughly, "You see beautiful woman, and realize your zipper is down... do you face her or turn away while fix?".

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Absolutely! When tying one's belt &/or adjusting uniform or belt I was taught to always to my back to a senior. I even turn my back to my students to set the example & to remind them.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We turn away as well, and always have.

Years ago, I was told that it was "traditional" in TKD to not roll the sleeves on your dobok during class. Since then I've seen plenty of Korean & American masters & GM's roll their sleeves. I'm guessing it was just the preference of my master at the time.

What things were you told were traditional that you later found out were just your instructor's (or someone else's) preference?

I was never told such a thing and many of us often roll our sleeves up just a time or two. However, when our Grandmaster comes to visit (once every couple of years) the whispers go out to unroll your sleeves and it is done. Guess it is something that my sahbonim doesn't care about, but he wants to make sure not to offend his!

turtle

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Yep, this is something I've seen in every school I've trained at. Must be pretty common from the number of positive replies here.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We do not roll our sleeves up, and I will tell a student (mine or not) to unroll their sleeves if the sleeve is up. Dobok sleeves are to be unrolled.
We always turn away from a partner as well regardless of rank to fix our uniforms.
Another thing that drives me crazy: Tae Kwon Do students who bow with their fists resting on their hips. Bowing is done with the arms straight, hands rolled into fists.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know, I admit, those are the things I 'put up with'. If the instruction is good, well thought out, practical, applicable, etc.. then if the instructor has particular protocol he likes, I will abide by it.

I feel that the instructor has something I want in terms of martial technique and in my quest to get as much learning from that person I can, there are individual peculiarities I will go along with in order to get the most from the class and the teaching, but I don't really think about them much one way or another.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I like standardization. I like to know that for things like bowing, fixing the uniform, or being at attention, everyone does it the same. Like being in the military: if one person is wrong, it ruins the harmony.
Plus, I follow the Rudy Giuliani approach: if I let this slide, pretty soon I'll let other things slide as well.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is pretty regular TKD methods that have to do with TKD being very para military. (regimented) Remember back in the day when TKD was first being formalized after the Japanese occupation that it was very prominent in the military. This I believe has alot to do with it and also with the Korean sence of everyone looking similar and no one standing out. When practicing with my Tae Kwon Do Grand Master's I always follow these guidelines. (however in IRT it does not matter)

I have a friend who is a world class martial artist who is simply great to watch. (simply amazing) Well he does not look it because what he is wearing is generally old and his pants are always unhemmed and for awhile I thought the pant thing was strange. Yet it does not bother him one bit nor affect his movment. Actually he is better because of it and it is something to behold!
icon6.gif

Latest Discussions