Tournament time..... :)

Discussion in 'The Competitive Edge' started by _Simon_, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Yokozuna514

Yokozuna514 Purple Belt

One of the hardest things to do is to say no to ourselves when it comes to doing something we love. You have a good outlook so I wish you the best for a speedy recovery and back to training as you want to train.

• Like Like x 1
  2. _Simon_

_Simon_ Master of Arts

Thank you so much :)

3. Michele123

Michele123 Green Belt

I haven’t been in the forum much so I’m late to reply but this definitely sounds like the best decision for long term participation. I’m sorry you had to miss out but I hope you are able to recover quickly and get back into things soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. _Simon_

_Simon_ Master of Arts

Thanks so much Michele, appreciate your kind thoughts. Yeah me too.. life has been insane of late, but looking forward to getting back into it all hopefully soon..

5. Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    I have respect for all who compete. I did some but I don't anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  6. _Simon_

_Simon_ Master of Arts

Yeah me too Bill. And it's a relatively new scene for me. I never started competing with the intention of getting gold medals etc, but I really love what skills it develops, the mindset work, and the genuine fun, community and comraderie with people who share the same interests and meeting new martial artists. The learning you go through is amazing leading up to a tournament, and eventually I did develop a burning to try and win the tournament, but moreso as a means to push myself to develop as a martial artist.

Ahh am feeling the bug now ;P

• Like Like x 1
  7. _Simon_

_Simon_ Master of Arts

Currently watching the National titles and will be back tomorrow. Has been great, it's mainly forms, team forms, weapons, demonstrations, and continuous sparring divisions. Point sparring tomorrow.

Has been a good learning experience. Part of me wants to jump in there still haha.

It's amazing watching the doubt people have in themselves and their techniques, and how it affects not only their accuracy in technique and power, but whole body structure and balance. That belief in themselves operating and perceiving themselves from the centre of that doubt, there's a slight pulling back and their whole system follows suit. You can see it in their face, eyes and posture.

The mental side of the whole thing is fascinating, and learning and understanding that in doing tournaments would be a massive benefit in itself!

• Like Like x 1
  8. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    Excellent observations and very well said.

• Like Like x 1