I agree with Mr C .. not because of any tradition. When I respect
people, I want them to KNOW damned well that I do. I will call
them sir, mr., master, or whatever the formality of that art is, until
they tell me otherwise. Some have been nice enough to tell me
their name is "Sir" or "Mr" when on the mat only. That's fine with
me too, so long as they're aware of my respect for them. It's
something I want.

In regards to Ed Jr ... I've heard some that HE considers friends
call him Edmund. I call him Mr Parker, until he says otherwise.

I call Mr Conatser "Mr C" because many have here, and he seems
to accept it .. possibly like Mr Parker accepted "the old man" ...
He had to have overheard him being refered to as that. If he had
objections, I'm sure he would've said something.

Questions:
Wasn't it Mr Parker that set the tradition of an instructor being
called "Mr" in the first place? this is what I was told

Mr C: .. any idea what Elvis called him? I'm curious about this one,
I heard tale that a lot of the 'formalities' were excused in his case.

Originally posted by Kirk
Questions:
Wasn't it Mr Parker that set the tradition of an instructor being
called "Mr" in the first place? this is what I was told

Yes, it is found in the Infinite Insights (Book I, Chapter 9, pgs 89-96)

Mr C: .. any idea what Elvis called him? I'm curious about this one,
I heard tale that a lot of the 'formalities' were excused in his case.

C'mon.... this is Elvis now....... lol... He called him Ed. (What he allowed people to call him was his business - what others call him is our business [his close Black Belt Students - one of the few that still care!])

Keep in mind he allowed several close to him to call him Ed. Although I never would. (I always treated him with respect required or not). If I didn't....... Tom Kelly would have me doing push ups till next month if he found out!!!!

That is one of the main problems today....... Respect! I think we need a few respect adjustment sessions. :rofl:

:asian:

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

C'mon.... this is Elvis now....... lol... He called him Ed. (What he allowed people to call him was his business - what others call him is our business [his close Black Belt Students - one of the few that still care!])

Keep in mind he allowed several close to him to call him Ed. Although I never would. (I always treated him with respect required or not). If I didn't....... Tom Kelly would have me doing push ups till next month if he found out!!!!

That is one of the main problems today....... Respect! I think we need a few respect adjustment sessions. :rofl:

Yeah, I called Mr. Coantser Dennis, he slapped me, and then takes me to chuch? Go figure?!?

Yeah, I called Mr. Conatser, Dennis, he slapped me, and then takes me to church? Go figure?!?
:confused:

Originally posted by GouRonin

Dennis. I disagree with your stance on calling Ed Parker "Ed." You have your opinion though and I'll have mine. They're not going to agree on this one.

As for the rest, I'd like to think that Dave Hebler was and still is one tough son of a beeyatch and I respect him immensely for that.

Doug,

I disagree with you as well, and I am one for rocking the boat to make sure it floats, but for me the terms Mr & Mrs maintain a level of basic respect among adults. And being raised by my grandparents, my elders were always Mr & Mrs...

I'm not comfortable calling a man or woman 30 yrs my senior in everything including martial arts experience by their first name, but that may be just me and it could be a cultural thing or regional thing or just the way a person was raised...not that's it wrong, it's just not right for me.

jb:asian:

p.s. I also heard that Mr. Hebler was a bad man, I'm having a chance to train with one of his Senior BB's now...

Originally posted by jbkenpo
Doug,
I disagree with you as well

Yeah, that's been going around. However I'm not one to take issue with ill people.
:rolleyes:

but for me the terms Mr & Mrs maintain a level of basic respect among adults. And being raised by my grandparents, my elders were always Mr & Mrs...
I'm not comfortable calling a man or woman 30 yrs my senior in everything including martial arts experience by their first name, but that may be just me and it could be a cultural thing or regional thing or just the way a person was raised...not that's it wrong, it's just not right for me.

I usually take my tone from how a person greets me. If they use my first name. I use theirs. if they ask me to use their last name then the same flows both ways. It depends on the level of formality they want. Personally if I meet someone I use Mr. or Mrs. first time out and go from there.

Ed Parker was a genious in what he was doing, but 5 bucks said he rode the porcelin pony once a day and put his pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us. If Dennis wants to refer to him however he wants I respect that. I don't agree with it but hey, such is life.

p.s. I also heard that Mr. Hebler was a bad man, I'm having a chance to train with one of his Senior BB's now...

Dave Hebler is one bad @ss mofo. I e-mail him now and then to ask him if he still wants to kill me. He always does. I love the things you can always count on to be constants in life.

You just go right on being you :)

(but I'd refer to him as Mr. Parker and his son as Mr. Parker, if I ever get to meet him)

Originally posted by Klondike93
You just go right on being you

Da. I will.

Originally posted by Klondike93
(but I'd refer to him as Mr. Parker and his son as Mr. Parker, if I ever get to meet him)

Sure. Why not? Sounds good. I myself would hate to be called "Junior" all my life.

In all seriousness. When someone says Ed Parker I think of his son anyway.

Originally posted by GouRonin

I e-mail him now and then to ask him if he still wants to kill me. He always does. I love the things you can always count on to be constants in life.
I keep telling you that if you were a bit more respectfull, fewer people would want your head over their mantle!:rofl:

Originally posted by Seig

I keep telling you that if you were a bit more respectfull, fewer people would want your head over their mantle!:rofl:

Better him than me. I already have enough Bounty hunters after me on this Forum!:eek:

Originally posted by RCastillo

Better him than me. I already have enough Bounty hunters after me on this Forum!:eek:

That big T is like a bullseye.:snipe2:

Originally posted by RCastillo

Calling Seig, Mr. Conatser!! HELP!:apv:

I'm just joking, I wore the T for about 15 years, and I have been a target before.

Originally posted by Rob_Broad

I'm just joking, I wore the T for about 15 years, and I have been a target before.

Yes, I know, I'll take more steroids like DC!LOL:rofl:

Originally posted by Seig
I keep telling you that if you were a bit more respectfull, fewer people would want your head over their mantle!

I can't help it. It's a sickness! Heh heh heh...

I am TOTALLY respectful of Dave Hebler. He wants to kill me for other reasons, involving Canadian Whiskey and shot glasses. he likes me, he just wants to kill me to show me how much.

Doug,

I disagree with you as well, and I am one for rocking the boat to make sure it floats, but for me the terms Mr & Mrs maintain a level of basic respect among adults. And being raised by my grandparents, my elders were always Mr & Mrs...

jb:asian:

I agree with JB. Perhaps its the fact that I'm ancient and from a "historical" generation, but we called it "common courtesy or manners." You don't call anyone by their first name who is your elder. Even as an adult you don't call a peer by his first name unless they give you permission.

It has nothing to do with the martial arts or this "new age" thing about earning respect. That's backwards. You don't "earn" respect, you "lose" it. You should always respect everyone until they do something to you personally to lose it. As a street cop I always had "three speeches" when I approached people. # 1 was, "Excuse me sir/ma'am." # 2 was, "Hey, let me talk to you." # 3 was, well let's just say it was "street nasty." No matter what a person looked like, how he was dressed, etc. I always began with my # 1 speech unless their actions dictated otherwise. Everybody deserves respect until "they lose it."

And that also means just because one person loses respect for someone doesn't mean you should too. People have disagreements and misunderstandings as a part of life. I remember my brother had a problem with a couple of people on the job that I knew. Because he couldn't stand them anymore he wanted me to dislike them as well. I refused because they had always been nice to me. Later on it turned out he was wrong and the reason he had a conflict with them was because of the lies of a third party with their own agenda. He had to apologize, but I didn't because I used only my own interaction as a guide.

Remember this: When you are familiar with or disrerspect a person you don't really know, it's really hard to reverse direction (especially in their eyes). For some of you, think back to when when you were dating that special person and you went to meet their parents. Don't tell me you would call their parents by their first names because they hadn't "earned" your respect yet. And if you did and reversed yourself later, they still always gave you that look didn't they? You see, you lost their respect while you were waiting for them to "earn" yours.

Originally posted by Doc

As a street cop I always had "three speeches" when I approached people. # 1 was, "Excuse me sir/ma'am." # 2 was, "Hey, let me talk to you." # 3 was, well let's just say it was "street nasty." No matter what a person looked like, how he was dressed, etc. I always began with my # 1 speech unless their actions dictated otherwise. Everybody deserves respect until "they lose it."

Kudos to you Sir, kinda falls along with whatever the attitude so is the response?!?! Thats been how I handle people on the streets, I actually had someone call and complain because he said I was calling him "sir" to provoke him?!?!?! My chief told him "Hunter calls everyone sir, Sir" 99.9% of the time it does help deflate things if you start by calling someone sir or maam even if they did not deserve it, you still give it because your the better man not because they earned it

Originally posted by Doc

I agree with JB. Perhaps its the fact that I'm ancient and from a "historical" generation, but we called it "common courtesy or manners." You don't call anyone by their first name who is your elder. Even as an adult you don't call a peer by his first name unless they give you permission.

It has nothing to do with the martial arts or this "new age" thing about earning respect. That's backwards. You don't "earn" respect, you "lose" it. You should always respect everyone until they do something to you personally to lose it. As a street cop I always had "three speeches" when I approached people. # 1 was, "Excuse me sir/ma'am." # 2 was, "Hey, let me talk to you." # 3 was, well let's just say it was "street nasty." No matter what a person looked like, how he was dressed, etc. I always began with my # 1 speech unless their actions dictated otherwise. Everybody deserves respect until "they lose it."

And that also means just because one person loses respect for someone doesn't mean you should too. People have disagreements and misunderstandings as a part of life. I remember my brother had a problem with a couple of people on the job that I knew. Because he couldn't stand them anymore he wanted me to dislike them as well. I refused because they had always been nice to me. Later on it turned out he was wrong and the reason he had a conflict with them was because of the lies of a third party with their own agenda. He had to apologize, but I didn't because I used only my own interaction as a guide.

Remember this: When you are familiar with or disrerspect a person you don't really know, it's really hard to reverse direction (especially in their eyes). For some of you, think back to when when you were dating that special person and you went to meet their parents. Don't tell me you would call their parents by their first names because they hadn't "earned" your respect yet. And if you did and reversed yourself later, they still always gave you that look didn't they? You see, you lost their respect while you were waiting for them to "earn" yours.
I totally agree with you Doc.

Latest Discussions

Back