Toughest Kenpo Fighter Ever!

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc

I agree with JB. Perhaps its the fact that I'm ancient and from a "historical" generation, but we called it "common courtesy or manners." You don't call anyone by their first name who is your elder. Even as an adult you don't call a peer by his first name unless they give you permission.

I've never done that unless I was forced, such as at school. All the peole I work with are older than me but I don't call them all 'Mrs Moxon' and 'Mrs Hunter', in this day and age it'd raise a laugh more than anything else.

I don't agree with this stance anyway, just because people are older than you doesn't necessarily mean they're better than you in some way, that's ageism.

when I approached people. # 1 was, "Excuse me sir/ma'am."

This calling people 'Sir' and 'Madam' all the time is culture independant; American people do it all the time but it's rare in Britain. People should remember that before judging people outright.

In terms of martial arts, I think being committed to a school and your training, being attentive and listening hard to what a sensei has to say, helping out where you can and speaking well of a school to people you know and work with is far more respectful than calling somone 'Mr. X' by default.

Then again, maybe that's just a young person's (20) POV.

Also, I'm not afraid to disagree with people just because they're famous!

Ian.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Doc

I agree with JB. Perhaps its the fact that I'm ancient and from a "historical" generation, but we called it "common courtesy or manners." You don't call anyone by their first name who is your elder. Even as an adult you don't call a peer by his first name unless they give you permission.

I agree with everything you said in your statement, but I'd just
like amend one thing. In the south, it's a "historical" tradition at
times to refer to people as Ms firstname or Mr firstname . Such as "Mister Dennis" or "Miss Dot" :D
I can't speak as an authority here, although I've lived a
LARGE part of my life living in the south, but it seems to me that
it was used when someone wasn't married, or was a very young
adult. It's a definite sign of respect, although the first name is
used.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as the term "old man" is concerned....

Although it is used by some, I don't think those same people used that term in Mr. Parker's presence.

Unless that is....if you valued your body parts.....:rolleyes: :D

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber
This calling people 'Sir' and 'Madam' all the time is culture independant; American people do it all the time.....

Well, you don't know much about American then...... lol..... this is NOT a common practice except in business circles and the deep South, but is considered common curtesy or good manners.

It's rare in Britain.

Hmmmmmmm, maybe in your area or circles it is not practiced but in my two trips over to England, I found everyone to be extremely respectful both the Kenpo group and everywhere we went to just sight see, the general culture was quite mannered and respectful including calling "us" tourists sir or madam which we obviously didn't require such as the taxi drivers to do. I found England in general very rich in traditional courtesy and manners except for the Cockney of course.

People should remember that before judging people outright.

No one is judging you outright, it is just a discussion that has diametrical points of view.

:asian:

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, you don't know much about American then...... lol..... this is NOT a common practice except in business circles and the deep South, but is considered common curtesy or good manners.

I suppose that's what I get for believing TV/travel guides then! :)

Hmmmmmmm, maybe in your area or circles it is not practiced but in my two trips over to England, I found everyone to be extremely respectful both the Kenpo group and everywhere we went to just sight see, the general culture was quite mannered and respectful including calling "us" tourists sir or madam which we obviously didn't require such as the taxi drivers to do. I found England in general very rich in traditional courtesy and manners except for the Cockney of course.

Where did you go? I bet you didn't come to Yorkshire did you? Hehe, your loss :p

Cockneys are OK in small doses :rolleyes:

If you eve see an English person in a film that's predominantly not British though, they're usually either a cockney or somebody from the Home Counties (sic. Giles in Buffy, that's not what English people are like! hehe)

The culture in the North of England is very different to the South. I'll not get into that though, I'll end up offending someone! Suffice to say you were more likely to get called 'sir' down there than up here, a lot more likely!

Ian.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, it was southern england and Jersey..... Exeter, Plymouth, Torquay, London. I didn't have the pleasure to travel up north yet but someday.

:asian:

Latest Discussions