Torunament Results

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
The tournment I was in yesterday was the National Open Capital Championship hosted by 9th Dan Grandmaster H.K.Lee and was apparently a big enough event that a congressmen and several local elected officials, along with more Master and GM ranked Taekwondo then I could count when they were all introduced...and a *lot* of competitiors

Anyway, in the Men's Senior Adult Red Belt division (30 years and up; ), there was me and two other gentlemen, both nice guys and we got along well before and after the competition (technically the other two outranked me). We all competed in forms and sparring.

Summary: I took second in Poomse and first in Sparring

In Poomse there as initially a tie between me and another gentlemen for first place, so we both did our form again. His second effort was better than mine so he took first and I took second. My coach asked me later how I did and I said "It wasn't all perfect but it never really is as there always seems to be *something* I think I could've done better so, in all, I was satisfied with how I did"

In Sparring, the guy who won Poomse got a 'by' the first round so I had to, or got to, fight two rounds (I come to compete and have fun so the more chances I get the more fun it is). First guy was heavier than me and had punches that winded me. The first match was more physically challenging. The second match the guy was shorter than me and seemed a bit more skilled. My coach missed my first match (due to confusion over where we were to be) but he said in the second match that one way I won was that my guard was so good the other guy couldn't score. The second guy also said, after about ten minutes of rest and such as we were heading to get our trophies, "I'm *still* feeling those back kicks". Again, talking to my coach I said "I won, but I didn't fight as well as I could; I could've been smarter so..I'm glad I won, but there is work to be done"

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WhooHoo! Congrats Freep! Way to go! :D

Sounds like a fantastic learning experience!!!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ahh. No surprise that our very own Lightning Duck prevailed. Not a doubt in my mind! Congratulations! :)

I found competitions to be a great source of self critique. When I first started competing, my instructor at the time told me that as a colored belt, it's not so much the more capable competitor that will win, but the one who's more able to keep himself under control, and if you performed at 70-80% of your ability under the pressure, you did well. I did find some truth to it in that I've faced opponents that were clearly psyching themselves right out of the match before it even started. The more they did it, the calmer I got.

Another thing was competing as a senior. I believe it's a better learning environment than the "prime times" because you're not out there to kill each other with a world championship at stake. Of course you want to win, but not at "all costs". You want to see what you can and cannot do, what works and what doesn't. To use the experience as a learning experience, not a means to an end. I found the comaradarie to be productive and fun.

Anyway, I've babbled on long enough. Again, Congrats!

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Another thing was competing as a senior. I believe it's a better learning environment than the "prime times" because you're not out there to kill each other with a world championship at stake. Of course you want to win, but not at "all costs". You want to see what you can and cannot do, what works and what doesn't. To use the experience as a learning experience, not a means to an end. I found the comaradarie to be productive and fun.

I agree wholeheartedly with Gemini! Congratulations Jay! Are you planning on competing regularly?

Miles

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like a good experience all around, you had fun and learned a few things. Congrats on the 1st and 2nd, keep them coming! TW

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
"I won, but I didn't fight as well as I could; I could've been smarter so..I'm glad I won, but there is work to be done"

I know exactly what you mean here, Fearless! I felt the same way after my last tournament in February. So now, it's back the training bag for me!

Congratulations on a successful performance. As we say in the U.S. Chung Do Kwan, "they are all winners for competing, but some are Champions!"

Good job Champ! :boing1:

CM D. J. Eisenhart

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Feerless yopu never seem to surprise me waht a great job and the next round is on me when we meet.
Terry

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for all te good words everybody.

Yes, I do plan on competing as opportunities present themselves. As Gemini, mentioned, it's a good chance to meet others and try out different things and basically measure yourself against your peers. It's not really my focus (I think I would do 'better' in tournaments if I geared my training around preperation for tournaments, but that's not what Taekwondo is for me), but it's a fun way to get a view of how you are doing against people you don't know, etc...

Again, thanks

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
I think I would do 'better' in tournaments if I geared my training around preperation for tournaments, but that's not what Taekwondo is for me

I know what you mean. I just recently started competing to ensure I get the "all-around" experience of taekwondo. I wanted to make sure I didn't look back some day and wonder "what if?" I also feel it helps me be a better well-rounded martial artist. Plus being a girl hopefully some of the other girls/women I train with will give competition a chance if they see me out there giving it a go.

Latest Discussions