Your school lineage

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In other MA's lineage is looked at closely (i.e. ninjitsu, WC, etc.), can the same be said for TKD? Is it because that TKD is so wide with the number of schools and stuff, that lineage is not important especially when there is sport TKD and self defense TKD?
What is your school lineage?
How important is it to you?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
In other MA's lineage is looked at closely (i.e. ninjitsu, WC, etc.), can the same be said for TKD? Is it because that TKD is so wide with the number of schools and stuff, that lineage is not important especially when there is sport TKD and self defense TKD?

Ace:

I've asked that question on several forums (including here, I think) & have gotten the "doesn't much matter" answer usually. I get envious of karate folks who can trace their lineage back. Its a neat thing to be able to have, but its not vital.

Myself, my first instructor grew up in Oh San (sp?) Korea & trained in Chung Do Kwan. I think its neat to know where you instructor trained & what it was like for her/him when they were coming up. My students are all brand new (6 weeks of training). I plan to show them pictures of when I was a white belt very soon. Embarrasing as those pictures are, I think its a good connection for them to make.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
AceHBK said:

I don't think lineage is viewed in TKD as being so important because it is not a "family art" like many of the earlier arts which were passed from father to son for generations.

Where TKD has something akin to lineage is our Kwan backgrounds but these are unfortunately often de-emphasized. The Kwan lineage "identification" was one of the casualties of the massive effort to make TKD standardized.

Miles

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can trace my lineage for TSD back to Kwang Kee. And My Jujitsu training back to Wally Jay. But I honestly can't trace anything in TKD. To me, it's not a big deal, but it's nice to know, if you know what I mean. If I can find out my TKD lineage, that will be a bonus.

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear All,

I am a student and instructor for Bateman Taekwon-Do Oh Do Kwan. Our lineage is as follows:

Charles Bateman Instructor and Founder of Bateman Taekwon-Do Oh Do Kwan began studying Shorin Ryu Karate on Maxwell AFB in the mid 1960's under then 3rd Dan James E. McDuff (not going to follow that lineage as this is the TKD Forum). Our instructor was drafted for service in Vietnam and was set to take R&R in Okinawa where Mr. McDuff had arrainged for him to test for Shodan directly in front of Zenrio Shimabakuro (then probably the foremost authority on Shorin Ryu). Unfortunately for the world, Soke Shimabakuro exited this world due to a sudden on set of Apendicitis...

While stationed in Di-An Vietnam Mr. Bateman was stationed in commons with the RoK Oh Do Kwan Instructors Group.

Lineage of Taekwon-Do...
Charles Bateman (My Dojang Founder)
Kong Chung Man and Kim Bo Kyum (Oh Do Kwan Instructors Di-An Vietnam)
Choi Hong Hi - Nam Tae Hi (Founder of Taekwon-Do, First Generation Master of Taekwon-Do and member of the first black belt class of the Chung Do Kwan Tang Soo Do).

Before this there was no Taekwon-Do and the Lineage of both Choi Hong Hi and Nam Tae Hi are well know!

TAEKWON!
SpooKey

In my opinion the

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't really know our lineage and never was told much. The master's original grandmaster was something Kim. He had a falling out with him. His new grandmaster, of many years, is Chung Do Kwan as was the original one, though. I think lineage helps new students know where they fit and if the teaching handed down is reputable. It also helps with certification. But maybe we are an example of how lineage becomes scattered, as alot of our black belts are not here anymore or teaching on their own. TW

Latest Discussions