Toning Down The Techniques

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many of these issues are not black letter law; they come from the common law. You may not be able to find a law about defending yourself in the code books. You may find something in the Rules of the court, but that's not guaranteed.

Self defense is not a law you point to and say "this code section says I was OK" as a general rule; it's a claim or defense of justification against a criminal charge or civil tort. I'm going to stick with the criminal side because that's what I'm more familiar with. With a claim of self defense, the defendant is essentially saying that "yes, I committed an assault/malicious wounding/homicide -- but I had a good reason, 'cause he attacked me." In weighing this claim, the finder of fact (judge or jury) will assess several different factors, including the reasonableness of the harm you inflicted in comparison to the attack. Generally, to justify lethal force (that force which can be reasonably expected to cause death or grievous bodily injury), you must be in expectation of the same. To justify lesser force, the general rule is that it must be appropriate to the attack; you can't club someone attacking you with a feather pillow.

This assessment is not a rigorous "tit-for-tat" comparison; neither an ordinary citizen nor a police officer is required to use EXACTLY the same force or make EXACTLY the right choice in techniques. The demand is only that it, in the eyes of a reasonable person, be more or less on the same scale. Which returns us to the original topic... Within the scope of the various Kenpo self defense techniques, you have a continuum. You don't have to take the technique all the way to the end; you can stop it anywhere within the set where you've accomplished your goal. Even though the technique carries through to an eye gouge and neck break, you don't have to go all the way to the end. You may also wish to review this thread: Are You Supposed To Finish Techniques?

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many of these issues are not black letter law; they come from the common law. You may not be able to find a law about defending yourself in the code books. You may find something in the Rules of the court, but that's not guaranteed.

To be charged with a crime, it must be encoded in law. There is no such thing as being arrested for responding with too much force in self defense unless there is a specific law that defines what 'too much force' is and is not. The law itself may be mushy ('reasonable man' standard, etc), but it must exist. You cannot be prosecuted for a law that does not exist.

And self-defense statutes generally exist. Both 'hearth and home' statutes and personal self-defense statutes. This is because these are commonly encountered, and homeowners and the NRA and other groups constantly push to have them amended this way or that.

What is not likely to be encoded in law is what the exact meaning of 'reasonable' or 'honestly held belief' might be. Those are open to interpretation by courts, and generally, case law is used with regard to establishing precedent, although courts can rule on a case based on its own merits and thus establish precedent for similar cases in that jurisdiction.

Self defense is not a law you point to and say "this code section says I was OK" as a general rule; it's a claim or defense of justification against a criminal charge or civil tort. I'm going to stick with the criminal side because that's what I'm more familiar with. With a claim of self defense, the defendant is essentially saying that "yes, I committed an assault/malicious wounding/homicide -- but I had a good reason, 'cause he attacked me." In weighing this claim, the finder of fact (judge or jury) will assess several different factors, including the reasonableness of the harm you inflicted in comparison to the attack. Generally, to justify lethal force (that force which can be reasonably expected to cause death or grievous bodily injury), you must be in expectation of the same. To justify lesser force, the general rule is that it must be appropriate to the attack; you can't club someone attacking you with a feather pillow.

Two things:

First, I keep agreeing with the statement that if you are NOT in fear of your life, you are NOT entitled to use lethal force in self-defense (in general). So I agree with you. You can't club someone who attacks you with a feather pillow.

Second, the test you mentioned is not the 'level of force used' but rather whether or not the test for self-defense was met, and if so, whether the 'reasonably in fear of one's life' was met. The 'level of force' consideration would not be part of the deliberations unless the test for self-defense was met, but the test for 'in fear of one's life' was not.

This assessment is not a rigorous "tit-for-tat" comparison; neither an ordinary citizen nor a police officer is required to use EXACTLY the same force or make EXACTLY the right choice in techniques. The demand is only that it, in the eyes of a reasonable person, be more or less on the same scale.

Again, that is true ONLY if the self-defense test is met, but the 'in fear for life' test is not.

Which returns us to the original topic... Within the scope of the various Kenpo self defense techniques, you have a continuum. You don't have to take the technique all the way to the end; you can stop it anywhere within the set where you've accomplished your goal. Even though the technique carries through to an eye gouge and neck break, you don't have to go all the way to the end.

If a person is authorized to defend themselves, and they are reasonably in fear of their lives, the choice they make with regard to what technique to use is of course entirely up to them. However, in general terms, if a person is authorized to defend themselves with deadly force, the selection they make is not going to be reviewed by investigators with regard to 'level of force'.

To sum up - with regard to self-defense where deadly force is authorized - the choice of response level is up to the victim. The victim's use of force is not likely to be questioned, but rather whether the victim was 'reasonably in fear of their life'.

You may also wish to review this thread: Are You Supposed To Finish Techniques?

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you do not feel your life is in danger, then your ability to respond with force may be tempered by law - meaning you have to use 'appropriate force' and cannot simply kill or maim the person assaulting you.

If you do feel your life is in danger, in very general terms, you have the right to use deadly force to defend yourself. There is no prohibition on the amount or type of force you may use.

One must know what the difference is between being reasonably and honestly in fear of one's life or simply wishing to defend oneself against assault that one does NOT believe threatens one's life.

You seemed to take issue with my own similar opinions when you responded to my first post. Thanks for clarifying.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You seemed to take issue with my own similar opinions when you responded to my first post. Thanks for clarifying.

My apologies if I was unclear. It was never my intent! I kind of knocked together this diagram. Based on Michigan law (could be different in different states), this is the situation. In the case where self-defense is permitted, but deadly force is not permitted, then absolutely the 'level of force' used in response would be questioned. In the case where self-defense is permitted and deadly force is permitted, then not.

From a personal standpoint, I would not intentionally try to use a 'less-lethal' response if I was in fear of my life. I would use the technique I thought most likely to end the fight immediately and preserve my own life. I do not feel I have a moral obligation to do the least amount of harm possible to the attacker, and I certainly would not have a legal obligation to do so. But if people feel a moral or ethical need to 'tone down' their response in cases where deadly force is permitted, then so be it and good luck to them.

self-defense.jpg

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
two things:

Im have trouble locating the laws for KY, can some one help

second i found this article while searching for them

B

The Kentucky statutes are online, but some of them are inexplicably missing:

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/503-00/CHAPTER.HTM

Here is the bit about self-defense, though. Pretty standard stuff:

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/503-00/050.PDF

503.050 Use of physical force in self-protection -- Admissibility of evidence of prior acts of domestic violence and abuse.

(1) The use of physical force by a defendant upon another person is justifiable when the defendant believes that such force is necessary to protect himself against the use or imminent use of unlawful physical force by the other person.

(2) The use of deadly physical force by a defendant upon another person is justifiable under subsection (1) only when the defendant believes that such force is necessary to protect himself against death, serious physical injury, kidnapping, sexual intercourse compelled by force or threat, felony involving the use of force, or under those circumstances permitted pursuant to KRS 503.055.

(3) Any evidence presented by the defendant to establish the existence of a prior act or acts of domestic violence and abuse as defined in KRS 403.720 by the person against whom the defendant is charged with employing physical force shall be admissible under this section.

(4) A person does not have a duty to retreat prior to the use of deadly physical force.

Effective: July 12, 2006

With regard to the link you posted, that's an interesting case. However, the case appears to be hinging on the 'duty to retreat' that Kentucky added to the basic self-defense law; I guess recently. Furthermore, the DA seems to be arguing:
Prosecutor Craig Williams argued that Borden exceeded justified force when he continued firing after shooting the driver and stopping the Jeep. But Borden’s defense argued that he did not have to retreat, citing the new law.
So not the 'level' of response, but that the 'right to self-defense' ended when the threat ended - and the DA feels that when the driver was shot, the danger was ended. Remember, the defendant felt that the danger was that he was going to be run over. If the Jeep could no longer run him over because the driver was shot and it stopped, it would not be reasonable to believe that it posed a life-endangering threat.

And in the end, it appears the defendant (the victim in the case) was acquitted.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Absolutely correct. You can be arrested, you can be sued. I have always said, here and elsewhere, that if you think you can defend yourself with deadly force and walk away without your life becoming significantly more complex, you're fooling yourself. So I agree with you. However, in this thread, I have been stating what the law says, not what the consequences are of defending yourself with deadly force.

The reasonable person test is crucial, yes. In Michigan, it is now a 'rebuttable presumption'. Basically, that means that the investigators must presume that the person who uses deadly force in self defense has a 'honest and reasonable' belief so long as the other factors for using deadly force in self-defense are met.

It is no longer a 'test' in Michigan, it is a presumption. That's the law. It does not mean that a prosecutor can't challenge it, but it's their burden to prove.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-780-951

780.951 Individual using deadly force or force other than deadly force; presumption; definitions.

No, sir, that it not the law. The law is here:

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-Act-309-of-2006

SELF-DEFENSE ACT
Act 309 of 2006
AN ACT to clarify the rights and duties of self-defense and the defense of others.
History: 2006, Act 309, Eff. Oct. 1, 2006

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-780-972

All true - but not a law cite. And you left out (intentional?) the last bit:

That's kind of important, don't you think?

But you are conflating two definitions. The first is self-defense when the victim has a reasonable and honest belief that their life is in immediate danger, and the second is self-defense when the victim does NOT believe their life is in danger. You are quoting from the prosecutor's manual (not the law) from the SECOND instance, not the first. And I have been speaking only of the first.

"Degree of force" does not apply if you reasonable and honestly feel your life is in danger. I'm sorry, you're incorrect.

The burden of proof is on the prosecution. But can it happen? Yes, absolutely. If I am defending my life - and there is no other reason I'd be defending myself with violence - I don't care as much about that as I do about SAVING MY LIFE.

Yes, it is, because you are incorrect. I don't know how many more ways I can explain this.

If you are reasonable and honestly in fear FOR YOUR LIFE, you are justified to use deadly force or other than deadly force to defend yourself, according to the law of Michigan.

Your quotes are not law cites, they are from a prosecutor's manual. That's not the law. And they are not even about 'life-threatening' self-defense, they are about non-life-threatening self-defense, so you're quoting the wrong part of the prosecuting attorney's handbook.

Several people keep arguing with me about things I did not say. Why? I have never advocated that people go around killing anyone who assaults them. I have stated what the law says, and urged them to check their own laws. Apparently, people are completely incapable of looking up their own criminal code, because they keep posting snippets of non-law procedure, rumor, and things they heard from some guy down the block as if it were law. You can't make up the law - it is written down, I suggest looking it up and reading it.

I likewise have said that anyone who engages in deadly force in defense of their own life is not going to have a happy day, even if they survive. That's the way it goes. I would expect to have to hire a lawyer and I would expect to have to speak to a prosecuting attorney in depth about the conditions surrounding the case.

I also have not given the bizarre non-self-defense circumstances that others have been quoting here. The quotes are all quite correct, but they prove my own point - if you don't know what self-defense is, you might have a problem claiming it.

I'm sorry, guys. I don't mean to go on and on, and I certainly don't intend to make anyone mad, but you are wrong. You have to look up and read the actual law. It is very clear and easy to read. If it is not a cite to case law or public law, it is not law, period.

If you are going to debate something with somebody, PLEASE read what was actually said.

You are forgetting a couple of things. First, you can still be arrested and have to spend lots of money to "prove your innocence" in court even if you are right. Second, it is based on a "reasonable person" test. Would a reasonable person view the circumstances the same way you did? That is always a big gamble. Here is the law in Michigan to claim self-defense as an alibi for your crime (only dealing with non-lethal) notice that you still have to defend this in court and the prosecutor proves their case to show it was NOT self-defense.

I did NOT mix up the two issues. I seperated them quite clearly for when you are actually in fear of your life and just using force because some guy gets in your face at the bar. I did not leave anything out, I SAID that it is up to the prosecutor to prove their case. Here is the law.
http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-780-961 and here is the important part.
If a prosecutor believes that an individual used deadly force or force other than deadly force that is unjustified under section 2 of the self-defense act, the prosecutor may charge the individual with a crime arising from that use of deadly force or force other than deadly force and shall present evidence to the judge or magistrate at the time of warrant issuance, at the time of any preliminary examination, and at the time of any trial establishing that the individual's actions were not justified under section 2 of the self-defense act.

Again, you are charged with the crime of assault (corresponding to the injuries you caused) and you have to prove that what you did was within the law. Just as I stated before. You are correct, I did not cite the specific law the first time, but quoted from my police procedural because AGAIN, I was talking about non-deadly force assaults.

I am NOT talking about a deadly force assualt and you protecting yourself, nor did I EVER say otherwise. The original topic was on toning down techniques and having appropriate levels of response (ie: can't crush their throat because they put their hand on my shoudler alone). My comments are in regards to Joe Citizen having some guy outside a bar come up to him and then get in his face and he has to protect himself.

I am not wrong, you just did not read my post on what it was addressing.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My comments are in regards to Joe Citizen having some guy outside a bar come up to him and then get in his face and he has to protect himself.

Scenario 1: If Joe Citizen does not fear being assaulted, he has no right to 'protect himself' at all.

Scenario 2: If he does fear being assaulted, but does not fear being killed, then he has an affirmative defense to defend himself with force other than deadly force.

Scenario 3: If he does fear being assaulted and he 'reasonably and honestly' fears for his life, then he has an affirmative defense for defending himself with deadly force.

I cannot imagine how scenario 2 would ever happen to me. Can you picture such a thing? I think maybe if Joe goes out looking for fights, maybe. I don't, so if someone attacks me, I have to presume they're trying to kill me. For a guy who does not hang around in bars or engage in street fights, that's the only reasonable response.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A few points:

I wish that someone, probably someone from the SL4 group, would be kind enough to clarify the link that I posted.

I think that all of the legal points are great, however, I think that it is important to know the laws in your respective state.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
In another thread, this thread from KT was mentioned. While reading a few of those posts, I started thinking about our Kenpo techniques. If we look at them, we see some pretty brutal stuff. Eye pokes, groin kicks, breaks, stomps, you name it, its probably in a technique.

Doc commented that if someone has to do those things, then they haven't learned any martial arts skills. Now, I find myself agreeing and disagreeing with part of this, and hopefully Doc, or another SL4 student will chime in, for the specifics of the way things are done with those techs.

Now, I agree that we should not have to rely on those things to win. if we can't figure out a few other ways to defend ourselves, what have we really learned? Additionally, if thats all we know, then we'll probably find ourselves doing some overkill with alot of things that don't warrant that type of response.

On the other hand, there may be some cases, where we do need those extreme measures, so not doing them could be the difference between winning and losing.

Back to the techniques. Should we change/modify what we do, to avoid the brutal aspect or just go with the tech. as written? So, think Lone Kimono....a simple left hand lapel grab and the first move entails a rising strike to the elbow, in an effort to get a break or hyper extension. Following that, is a strike down on that same arm and then an outward handsword to the neck.

Thoughts?

Out of town. I will get back next week. If I forget drop me a line.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Scenario 1: If Joe Citizen does not fear being assaulted, he has no right to 'protect himself' at all.

Scenario 2: If he does fear being assaulted, but does not fear being killed, then he has an affirmative defense to defend himself with force other than deadly force.

Scenario 3: If he does fear being assaulted and he 'reasonably and honestly' fears for his life, then he has an affirmative defense for defending himself with deadly force.

I cannot imagine how scenario 2 would ever happen to me. Can you picture such a thing? I think maybe if Joe goes out looking for fights, maybe. I don't, so if someone attacks me, I have to presume they're trying to kill me. For a guy who does not hang around in bars or engage in street fights, that's the only reasonable response.

Thank you for clarifying your response, I understand your intent much better. Working in LE I do see #2 alot.

Joe Citizen is at the local watering hole or bowling alley having a good time with his friends. Larry Lowlife is having no luck in scoring a babe and is going home alone again. Larry's next best thing in life is scrapping so he decides to take it out on Joe Citizen who seems to be having too much fun. Larry approaches Joe and accuses him of eyeballin him and keeps instigating it. Joe apologizes for any slight that may have occurred and even offers to buy him a beer to make amends. Larry will have none of this and keeps yelling and threatening Joe. Joe again states that he wants no trouble and has moved back some to appear non-threatening. Larry suddenly decides talk is over and steps forward and draws his arm back to throw the punch. Joe has been training and has been trying to de-escalate this situation, but now knows through his training and experience that an assault is imminent and he has to protect himself.

Another common scenario is a fender-bender or parking lot incident. You are minding your own business and get into an accident because somebody pulled out in front of you and didn't have time to react (or maybe it is your fault). Other person just wants to be mad and keeps escalating even though you are trying to de-escalate it.

These are the types of things I train my adult students for. I agree that if you hang out in a lot of seedy bars you will increase your chances of violence, but it can still happen to everyday people by being in the wrong place.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you for clarifying your response, I understand your intent much better. Working in LE I do see #2 alot.

Thanks, I appreciate the response very much! I get your point now. I used to work in LE, and from my point of view, everybody who got into a bar scrap was generally 'mutual combat'. I guess I can see how it could happen the way you described, that makes sense. I just haven't seen it myself, but I get your point. :asian:

SL4Drew

Green Belt
Reaction score
For any dweebs (like me), here is an interesting article discussing the application of the laws of self-defense in general and their impact of somewhat predictable cognitive failures at the time of the encounter. http://www.bu.edu/law/faculty/scholarship/workingpapers/documents/SimonsK071007REV1a.pdf

I found interesting because although I have seen similar papers and studies with regard to the use of force by a law enforcement officer or general cognitive failures of the brain under stress, this paper was the first I've seen that addresses some of those same things from a legal perspective, in the context of the law of self-defense.

This is the abstract:

The reasonable person test is often employed in criminal law doctrine as a criterion of cognitive fault: Did the defendant unreasonably fail to appreciate a risk of harm, or unreasonably fail to recognize a legally relevant circumstance element (such as the nonconsent of the victim)? But it is sometimes applied more directly to conduct: Did the defendant depart sufficiently from a standard of reasonable care, e.g. in operating a motor vehicle, that he deserves punishment? A third version of the reasonable person criterion, which has received much less attention, asks what degree of control a reasonable person would have exercised. Many criminal acts occur in highly emotional, stressful, or emergency situations, situations in which it is often both unrealistic and unfair to expect the actor to formulate beliefs about all of the facts relevant to the legality or justifiability of his conduct. A "reasonable degree of self-control" criterion is sometimes the best criterion for embracing these contextual factors.

In self-defense, for example, it is conventional to ask whether the actor believes, and whether a reasonable person would believe, each of the following facts: (a) an aggressor was threatening him with harm, (b) that harm would be of a particular level of gravity, (c) his use of force in response would prevent that harm, (d) the level of responsive force he expects to employ would be of a similar level of gravity, (e) if the force was not used, the threatened harm would occur immediately, and (f) no nonviolent or less forceful alternatives were available whereby the threat could be avoided. United States law typically requires an affirmative answer to each of these questions. Yet in many cases, an actor threatened with harm will actually have no beliefs at all about most of these matters. It would be unfair to deny a full defense to all such actors. At the same time, we should still hold such an actor to a normative standard of justifiable behavior. Specifically, this essay suggests that we reformulate the reasonableness criterion and require this type of actor to exercise a reasonable degree of self-control in response to a threat of force.

SL4Drew

Green Belt
Reaction score
A few points:

I wish that someone, probably someone from the SL4 group, would be kind enough to clarify the link that I posted.

I think that all of the legal points are great, however, I think that it is important to know the laws in your respective state.

Doc can certainly shed more light on this. For my part, I think the early posts by 'Punisher73' did a pretty good job explaining what would be my position.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Out of town. I will get back next week. If I forget drop me a line.

Just wanted to bump this back up. Looking forward to your thoughts Doc. :)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just wanted to bump this back up. Looking forward to your thoughts Doc. :)

I teach students body mechanics and reasonable responses to assaults. Students who feel a personal need through circumstance to "maim" do not need my approval or instruction to do so. Poking someone in the eye is something people have when they walk through the door. Ripping, slashing, scratching, biting, stomping, etc are all things that humans will resort to when threatened significantly enough. Put your hand on the infant child of an unskilled mother and see what happens.

It takes more skill not to maim then it does to do so. I was always taught ideally, the more skill you had the less damage you need to inflict to end a confrontation, but that doesn't mean if you "need" to, tat you're unskilled. What it means is, if that's all you have sooner or later you are going to utilize more force than is necessary, because you don't have skill to do otherwise.

"If all you have in your tool kit is a hammer, every problem you face will always look like a nail." - Ed Parker Sr.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I teach students body mechanics and reasonable responses to assaults. Students who feel a personal need through circumstance to "maim" do not need my approval or instruction to do so. Poking someone in the eye is something people have when they walk through the door. Ripping, slashing, scratching, biting, stomping, etc are all things that humans will resort to when threatened significantly enough. Put your hand on the infant child of an unskilled mother and see what happens.

Of course, while these skills are a natural, I would say that they'd be twice as effective if they were polished. How many times have we seen a cardio kickboxing class, where the people in the class, are swinging and kicking away at bags, with little to no form? I've seen it many times. Now, fine tune those strikes, and I'd be more willing to say they'd be twice as effective.

As I said, I don't think that those things are the answer in every situation, but I'm not going to throw them out either and IMO, I don't think anyone else should.

It takes more skill not to maim then it does to do so. I was always taught ideally, the more skill you had the less damage you need to inflict to end a confrontation, but that doesn't mean if you "need" to, tat you're unskilled. What it means is, if that's all you have sooner or later you are going to utilize more force than is necessary, because you don't have skill to do otherwise.

"If all you have in your tool kit is a hammer, every problem you face will always look like a nail." - Ed Parker Sr.

And this is why, personally, I think that its important to have all our bases covered. Be able to determine what we need to do, and base our response accordingly.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course, while these skills are a natural, I would say that they'd be twice as effective if they were polished. How many times have we seen a cardio kickboxing class, where the people in the class, are swinging and kicking away at bags, with little to no form? I've seen it many times. Now, fine tune those strikes, and I'd be more willing to say they'd be twice as effective.

While we essentially agree sir on the base premise, I disagree that there is a strong relationship between "polishing" an uninstinctive roundhouse kick skill, and the natural propensity to use instinctive defense mechanisms under duress, thus my "untrained" reference to a mother protecting her child.

The mechanisms to mechanically refine specific martial function are extremely sophisticated in most cases. The slash, poke, smash, scratch, bite, spit, and stomp of most modern arts are not.

That is why they are "emphasized" in short duration self-defense courses of a few hours. They are primarily instinctive, and are relatively easy to reinforce over much more difficult skills to acquire.

It is also, by design, why the methodology was chosen for commercial self defense teaching. Relatively speaking - it's easy. It is also why it is "de-emphasized" in more difficult and passive disciplines like Aikido and judo, but take note it is even relatively absent in the more aggressive Jiujitsu, Hapkido, Karate-do arts, etc. as well. They are a result of "stripping down" traditional material for quick effectiveness, over labor and knowledge intensive longer term training.

While its effectiveness has no argument, its ethical applications bare strong scrutiny, and its proponent's students must be reminded that it is they alone who must embrace the consequences of their actions should their use be misplaced in a circumstance. For it is they who will bare the brunt of societies wrath for its social misuse monetarily, emotionally, and possibly even physically. As a public law enforcement officer the bulk of my adult life, I truly understand both sides of the argument, but have also have had a personal hand in incarcerating more than one good guy/gal "defending" themselves inappropriately.

While for some including its teachers, it's a wild fantasy fueled by many who have never had an actually life and death encounter, who dream of enacting personal justice on those who would violate them.

While the position is noble, and I stand in that line myself, personal justice and redemption must be tempered by ethical restraint, and hopefully bolstered by the possession of sufficient skill and ability to moderate the response appropriately to the circumstance. If one does not have that ability, than in our modern society, their training is deficient until they can sir.

While many who have never been there will cavalierly spout slogans of "judged by 12 over carried by 6," it is not so cavalier when you factor your own freedom, and the personal wealth of you and your family into the equation. Maybe that's why so many young dumb males gravitate to some arts. They have nothing to lose but their own freedom, while the more mature stop and think of the grave consequences.

Stix

Reaction score
A few points:

Regarding training (from my SL4 perspective), if I train every day to gouge someone's eyes out, then if someone takes a swing at me I will have to override that “muscle memory” to employ reasonable force. I, of course, don't assume that every attack will be an attempt to kill me, so I don't want my automatic response to be maiming or killing actions. If the circumstances dictate escalation, then I will adjust accordingly, and do whatever it takes.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
While the position is noble, and I stand in that line myself, personal justice and redemption must be tempered by ethical restraint, and hopefully bolstered by the possession of sufficient skill and ability to moderate the response appropriately to the circumstance. If one does not have that ability, than in our modern society, their training is deficient until they can sir.

This, in particular, is worthy of a repeat. Very eloquently stated, sir.

Latest Discussions