when training someone PART 2

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
my one student that was a yellow belt has moved on to orange im really impressed with him - having that he doesnt speak english and all the technique names were in english ... now his lil bro thats 11 going on 12 wants to join the class but the thing with him on top of not knowing english either HES LEFT HANDED any advice on how to deal with this :lurk:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It shouldn’t make a difference. Two halves make a whole.
icon7.gif

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Handedness does pose some minor challenges in a system as technical as kenpo, but the others are right...if you can handle the language barrier, then his left handedness won't be any kind of real issue.

Good luck.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
my one student that was a yellow belt has moved on to orange im really impressed with him - having that he doesnt speak english and all the technique names were in english ... now his lil bro thats 11 going on 12 wants to join the class but the thing with him on top of not knowing english either HES LEFT HANDED any advice on how to deal with this :lurk:
hey man, im a south paw as well. it was hard for me at first to get oriented with the techs and to build power since it wasnt my dominant hand, but let me tell you after nearly 3 years of learning everything with my right ive come to feel sorry for people that are right handed. Ive been able to become proficient with both sides of my body especially in sparring.

B

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey man, im a south paw as well. it was hard for me at first to get oriented with the techs and to build power since it wasnt my dominant hand, but let me tell you after nearly 3 years of learning everything with my right ive come to feel sorry for people that are right handed. Ive been able to become proficient with both sides of my body especially in sparring.

B
I am right handed and after studying for many years it works the other way also, right.
icon12.gif

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score

B

thats why i come to martialtalk :dalek:

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The techniques are weighted towards right handed people. You could teach them all "mirror image," however, 80% of his potential attackers will be right handed, so I would teach him as is. He will probably develop spontaneity in his techniques rather quickly.

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
just got done teaching the lefty and his bro the righty it was a challenge but the kid is on the right track hes a bit younger so his learning level is a bit lower than his bro but im sure he ll come along just fine , man it was a trip we went to a park and the older bro came along to hes 27 and before you knew he asked if he could join ' so we worked on the basics stances kata 1 and no techniques ' then we rolled back to my pad for a bar b q but after everything we got to training again did some more kata 1 and all yellow belt techniques ' and we ended it a osoto gari drill ' to teach you got to have a lot of patience didnt think i could handle it at first but it turned alright after all ' ill keep you posted :angel:

Latest Discussions