Today I got Figure-Four Wristlocked. Also BB reversal thread

swillis

White Belt
Reaction score
I try to wristlock people sometimes from standing-- even if you don't have the elbow secured, you can still sometimes provoke a reaction or even get a takedown. Today in nogi against a BB I tried it and not only were his wrists too strong for a thumb-on-the-back of the hand twisting wristlock, but he seized my arm in almost a kimura-type grip and wristlocked ME. It was an incredible reversal. Any other fun BB stories of attacks being parried or reversed like that?

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are some very good counter chokes that you can apply when folks are choking you from top that I like to use
Quite often the bottom position is a mirror of the top which means it’s often possible to create a superior angle despite being in an inferior position (especially if they pressure themselves into the choke because they think they’re winning)

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I try to wristlock people sometimes from standing-- even if you don't have the elbow secured, you can still sometimes provoke a reaction or even get a takedown. Today in nogi against a BB I tried it and not only were his wrists too strong for a thumb-on-the-back of the hand twisting wristlock, but he seized my arm in almost a kimura-type grip and wristlocked ME. It was an incredible reversal. Any other fun BB stories of attacks being parried or reversed like that?
I remember the first time I got von flue choked. I was confused, because I had the guillotine grip, but I was the one that got choked!

There are a few moves that you end up in a 50/50 situation with the grip, including a lot of armlocks (kimura in particular) and leg locks, where you think you have the grip, and your opponent will shift their hips and then use the same attack on you.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I remember the first time I got von flue choked. I was confused, because I had the guillotine grip, but I was the one that got choked!

There are a few moves that you end up in a 50/50 situation with the grip, including a lot of armlocks (kimura in particular) and leg locks, where you think you have the grip, and your opponent will shift their hips and then use the same attack on you.
I got pistol choked while attempting the Von flue once.

Latest Discussions