To the Teachers of Martial Arts

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...we teach but are always students. I try to follow my founders words of "without adaptation".

I like your answer, and I'm sure it is the right one for you.

For me though, that didn't work out. After many years, I went from publicly teaching "Authentic Wing Tsun" as passed down, to privately coaching "Adaptive Wing Chun" emphasizing functionality. I still follow my lineage's spirit, kept vital through continual adaptation.

Each to their own.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've tried to read some books on coaching, but haven't found any that really connect with me.

I have worked hard to become a better teacher over the years, but it's been a combination of learning by example and trial and error.

When I encounter an instructor who does a really good job of explaining a concept or structuring class time or showing effective learning drills or just being generally encouraging and inspiring, I try to emulate what they are doing and see whether it works for me.

When I teach a subject and have someone present who is more knowledgeable in that particular area, I seek feedback from them on what I might improve.

I also just try different things and see what seems to be most effective in helping my students to progress.
"I also just try different things and see what seems to be most effective in helping my students to progress."

To any young teachers of the Martial Arts, you should write this down. Like, right now.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
How do you continue to learn and development as a teacher?

Do you attend courses on becoming a more effective teacher?

What books on teaching are in your library?
Are you directing your questions purely in the vein of learning or increasing martial arts knowledge? Or are you also asking about the operations side of things?

OP
T

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you directing your questions purely in the vein of learning or increasing martial arts knowledge? Or are you also asking about the operations side of things?
Thanks for asking HighKick.

Yes, I am seeking as much information as possible on all aspects of spreading he knowledge and inner workings of the martial arts. As an instructor it is important to keep on gaining experience and finding effective ways to create a customer journey which effectively guides students towards their goals.

Anything you can share would be much appreciated 👍

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I help teach kids and beginner adults isshinryu karate.

I have a background in teaching software to IT professionals for many years around the world. I enjoy it and have a knack for it.

I have the evidence of my own sensei to guide me. I have my experience as an isshinryu karateka to guide me.

I have taken note over the years of things like how kids learn differently, how to tell when their brains are full, diminished returns from overemphasized techniques, how to anticipate questions, how to be open to being asked questions, and so on.

No books, no training. I learn by doing.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I love this subject. But it's going to be difficult to get my thoughts down, being a long winded old bastard. As soon as I get the time I'll have a go at it, finishing up a year long writing project right now.

The main book in my teaching library is a dictionary. I needed one, I'm not the best speller.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No books, no training. I learn by doing.
I learn by doing too.

In sport wrestling, one time I used my right-side waist wrap hip throw on my opponent. his left-hand hook punched to my head. After that day, I taught my students to use more under-hook hip throw instead.

Even in sport that punch/kick are not allowed, to allow your opponent to have free arms is still a bad idea. I'm glad that my opponent punched me that day. It's always better to protect yourself than to depend on the sport rule to protect you.

Do all sport coaches pay attention on this? I don't think so.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you take any courses on coaching and teaching?
When I was in the UT Austin computer science graduate school as a teaching assistant, one semester I was told to teach the Knuth MIX assemble language. I told my professor that I have learned CDC 6600 assemble language, but I have not learned the Knuth MIX assemble language. My professor said, "Nobody know MIX in our department. You just have to learn it and teach it at the same time." I started to learn 1 chapter and teach 1 chapter until I finished the whole course.

In MA, I learned this 2 men form from my long fist brother Nelson Zhu in NYC. I then came back to Texas and taught to my students.

Last edited:

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

During a sidebar conversation I was having with fellow instructors during a seminar, they taught me a valuable tool that has greatly improved my instructorship. We were discussing the drills that we had been doing the first part of the day when one asked me why we did a certain drill. I looked at him and talked about what I learned/practiced by doing the drill. Not satisfied with my answer he dug deeper asking the same question. We discussed for maybe 20 minutes…and it changed the way I received training and teach. It has been years since that seminar. What I had my eyes open to was to really observe the training, to feel the energy in the room and how to choreograph the energy of the participants by changing the drills, the explanations, the time frames, etc like a music conductor can change a tune. I learned to observe and question each drill, every action of master instructors to better learn the WHY they are doing what they are doing, observing not only what they are teaching, but also how and why they are teaching what they are teaching. Much can be learned from the pauses just as from the action. As an example, when the participants are coming into a class or seminar, I learned to watch how entered, was there rough housing, lots of hand shaking and hugging, coming in – putting gear in a corner and sitting against a wall. Was the energy level high, low, or in between? What time of day is it, are the students getting hungry or have they just eaten? Had they been out drinking the night prior, just prior, or looking for to drinking tonight? Were some shadow boxing, doing calisthenics, or wrestling with a partner? During drills, were all the participants getting the lessons or were one or two getting lost? I learned to be more aware of both me and my students by observing how teachers (martial, business, religious, whatever kind of master instructor) conducted training that I have been involved with. This awareness allowed me to have deeper training by making sure that the students were actually ready to receive the lesson I was hoping to get to even if it took hours to get them there.

Some martial type books that are on my shelf

One I have just ordered (getting the spiral bound edition while still in print (going out in like 20 more copies on amazon) Shapeshifting for Law Enforcement CNT/HNT: Effective Scenario Training for Crisis/Hostage Negotiation Teams. By Ellis Amdur. I am looking forward to getting to this one.

I can recommend any of Ellis’s books to help gain deeper understanding of the mentally ill, intoxicated, suicidal or homicidal members of society and how to positively interact with them. He has books written for educators, law enforcement, office (gate keepers) professionals, health care workers etc.

One book that I enjoyed and learned a lot from is Systema Manual by Major Konstantin Komarov- Practical and Fundamental Training Guide. This one first came out in French and we had to wait a bit to get it in English but it was worth the wait. Any book or film by Vladimir Vasiliev, his work has changed my life and my ability to reach others by teaching.

I have read much material written by and about professional coaches such as Tony Dungy, and John Wooden. One book I really enjoyed was the book “Catch them being good: Everything you need to know to successfully coach girls.” by Tony Dicicco. The title gives much of it away, gold.

Having been involved with Fostering children I can HIGHLY recommend the book “The Whole Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary strategies to Nurture your child’s developing mind “by Daniel Siegel There are other books on working with youth with special needs and that work has informed my teaching

Anything written by or filmed with Buck Brannaman. He is a world class horse trainer. His work is fantastic and totally relatable to teaching people. There are also good dog training books that are also totally relatable to teaching martial students. I have several books and DVD’s on these subjects

Another field of study that can help with instruction is trauma and the work associated with dealing with it. One such would be “The body keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma” by Sean Pratt, Bessel A. van der Kolk

I also enjoyed Andy Andrews “The Noticer’ books for a healthy perspective along with Jon Gordon’s “The Carpenter. Will these books help you lay out a lesson plan, no not really but they will allow you a graceful insight into perspectives that will deepen your classes and the many lessons that can arise while teaching.

Kris Wilder, Lawrence Kane, Rory Miller all have good books dealing with instructing and all are also martial artists. One such is “The Way of Martial Arts for Kids: Getting the Most Out of Your Training” by Kris Wilder. Gene Smithson also has decent books especially the book “Shot: Healing hurt. This book is about after he was shot multiple times during a training accident and his recovery. His breathing books are also well done and have multiple training exercises.

One of my martial brothers was blind and I learned so much from him and have hundreds of stories, like when we were staying in a cheap hotel in Arizona attending a seminar together when I had an AK-47 dropped off (bought online from an online friend). My blind friend being Canadian thought I was kidding when he heard the door knock and I told him I just bought a rifle…his comment “Merica” LOL He did learn how to assemble and disassemble the rifle and had a huge grin on his face the entire time. Or the time we were doing “drownproofing” (water fighting by any other term) in Lake Washington. He was my partner and being very athletic and an accomplished martial artist and mountaineer he was kicking my ***. When wanting to go to shore for hot coffee and a break he asked where shore was and I turned him ‘in that direction’…of course it was the far shore, he only went maybe 50 yards or so before he heard my giggling and listened for the true direction… he still beat me to shore…jeez. We would attend seminars together, I would often drive up to Canada, pick him up, drive back to the states, attend, and train the seminar, then drive him back home. They were often multiple day trips. Did I mention that he no longer had kidneys and needed Dialysis every few days? He was almost always smiling. During the seminars, the instructors would be giving demonstrations and I along with another good friend would always try to be close to Allen to help ‘translate’ what the instructor was doing. The instructors would say something like with this type of attack, or see the tension on their body right here and here? Or something like hit/touch right here. Or maybe they were not explaining but just showing. My other friend and Allen had Japanese martial arts in common so my friend would use terms that Allen understood, but when I translated what I was seeing I had to use English or touch. I learned to be much more precise in my in-person explanations.

The reading I do is almost always to satisfy my search for a more precise way to explain, to gain a different perspective from my own, to deepen my own understanding. That said the best lessons, the ones that have become a part of me, were taught by observation, questioning, feeling, and most importantly sharing. Knowledge shared grows.

Regards

Brian King

Yamabushii

Green Belt
Reaction score

Question 1) Have multiple teachers. You always want to keep learning. When you grow, your students grow. Also, at some point as a teacher, you begin learning to teach yourself (just don't let that stop you from having teachers).

Question 2) Some instructors don't need to attend courses to become a more effective teacher since they may have great teachers of their own that they can mimic. Other instructors may need to look up instructor training programs. In the U.S. there are plenty.

Question 3) Books are for philosophy and history, not learning techniques. It's important to know the distinction between them, and it's also good to know both but if you absolutely HAD to pick one, then stick to learning techniques.

OP
T

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
During a sidebar conversation I was having with fellow instructors during a seminar, they taught me a valuable tool that has greatly improved my instructorship. We were discussing the drills that we had been doing the first part of the day when one asked me why we did a certain drill. I looked at him and talked about what I learned/practiced by doing the drill. Not satisfied with my answer he dug deeper asking the same question. We discussed for maybe 20 minutes…and it changed the way I received training and teach. It has been years since that seminar. What I had my eyes open to was to really observe the training, to feel the energy in the room and how to choreograph the energy of the participants by changing the drills, the explanations, the time frames, etc like a music conductor can change a tune. I learned to observe and question each drill, every action of master instructors to better learn the WHY they are doing what they are doing, observing not only what they are teaching, but also how and why they are teaching what they are teaching. Much can be learned from the pauses just as from the action. As an example, when the participants are coming into a class or seminar, I learned to watch how entered, was there rough housing, lots of hand shaking and hugging, coming in – putting gear in a corner and sitting against a wall. Was the energy level high, low, or in between? What time of day is it, are the students getting hungry or have they just eaten? Had they been out drinking the night prior, just prior, or looking for to drinking tonight? Were some shadow boxing, doing calisthenics, or wrestling with a partner? During drills, were all the participants getting the lessons or were one or two getting lost? I learned to be more aware of both me and my students by observing how teachers (martial, business, religious, whatever kind of master instructor) conducted training that I have been involved with. This awareness allowed me to have deeper training by making sure that the students were actually ready to receive the lesson I was hoping to get to even if it took hours to get them there.

Some martial type books that are on my shelf

One I have just ordered (getting the spiral bound edition while still in print (going out in like 20 more copies on amazon) Shapeshifting for Law Enforcement CNT/HNT: Effective Scenario Training for Crisis/Hostage Negotiation Teams. By Ellis Amdur. I am looking forward to getting to this one.

I can recommend any of Ellis’s books to help gain deeper understanding of the mentally ill, intoxicated, suicidal or homicidal members of society and how to positively interact with them. He has books written for educators, law enforcement, office (gate keepers) professionals, health care workers etc.

One book that I enjoyed and learned a lot from is Systema Manual by Major Konstantin Komarov- Practical and Fundamental Training Guide. This one first came out in French and we had to wait a bit to get it in English but it was worth the wait. Any book or film by Vladimir Vasiliev, his work has changed my life and my ability to reach others by teaching.

I have read much material written by and about professional coaches such as Tony Dungy, and John Wooden. One book I really enjoyed was the book “Catch them being good: Everything you need to know to successfully coach girls.” by Tony Dicicco. The title gives much of it away, gold.

Having been involved with Fostering children I can HIGHLY recommend the book “The Whole Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary strategies to Nurture your child’s developing mind “by Daniel Siegel There are other books on working with youth with special needs and that work has informed my teaching

Anything written by or filmed with Buck Brannaman. He is a world class horse trainer. His work is fantastic and totally relatable to teaching people. There are also good dog training books that are also totally relatable to teaching martial students. I have several books and DVD’s on these subjects

Another field of study that can help with instruction is trauma and the work associated with dealing with it. One such would be “The body keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma” by Sean Pratt, Bessel A. van der Kolk

I also enjoyed Andy Andrews “The Noticer’ books for a healthy perspective along with Jon Gordon’s “The Carpenter. Will these books help you lay out a lesson plan, no not really but they will allow you a graceful insight into perspectives that will deepen your classes and the many lessons that can arise while teaching.

Kris Wilder, Lawrence Kane, Rory Miller all have good books dealing with instructing and all are also martial artists. One such is “The Way of Martial Arts for Kids: Getting the Most Out of Your Training” by Kris Wilder. Gene Smithson also has decent books especially the book “Shot: Healing hurt. This book is about after he was shot multiple times during a training accident and his recovery. His breathing books are also well done and have multiple training exercises.

One of my martial brothers was blind and I learned so much from him and have hundreds of stories, like when we were staying in a cheap hotel in Arizona attending a seminar together when I had an AK-47 dropped off (bought online from an online friend). My blind friend being Canadian thought I was kidding when he heard the door knock and I told him I just bought a rifle…his comment “Merica” LOL He did learn how to assemble and disassemble the rifle and had a huge grin on his face the entire time. Or the time we were doing “drownproofing” (water fighting by any other term) in Lake Washington. He was my partner and being very athletic and an accomplished martial artist and mountaineer he was kicking my ***. When wanting to go to shore for hot coffee and a break he asked where shore was and I turned him ‘in that direction’…of course it was the far shore, he only went maybe 50 yards or so before he heard my giggling and listened for the true direction… he still beat me to shore…jeez. We would attend seminars together, I would often drive up to Canada, pick him up, drive back to the states, attend, and train the seminar, then drive him back home. They were often multiple day trips. Did I mention that he no longer had kidneys and needed Dialysis every few days? He was almost always smiling. During the seminars, the instructors would be giving demonstrations and I along with another good friend would always try to be close to Allen to help ‘translate’ what the instructor was doing. The instructors would say something like with this type of attack, or see the tension on their body right here and here? Or something like hit/touch right here. Or maybe they were not explaining but just showing. My other friend and Allen had Japanese martial arts in common so my friend would use terms that Allen understood, but when I translated what I was seeing I had to use English or touch. I learned to be much more precise in my in-person explanations.

The reading I do is almost always to satisfy my search for a more precise way to explain, to gain a different perspective from my own, to deepen my own understanding. That said the best lessons, the ones that have become a part of me, were taught by observation, questioning, feeling, and most importantly sharing. Knowledge shared grows.

Regards

Brian King

This is the perfect response Brian, and exactly what I was hoping for 🙏

Being a teacher goes far beyond martial techniques. We are here to inspire individuals and give them wisdom which transcends the form. Even those who train people for competitive-fighting need to coach and motivate different personality types using methods which suit their personal learning styles.

Recent books of inspiration are:
  • Win or Learn: MMA, Conor McGregor and Me: A Trainer's Journey by John Kavanagh
  • Iron Ambitions: Lessons I've learned From The Man Who Made Me Champion by Mike Tyson
  • Martial Arts Teachers on Teaching by Carol Wiley

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I found, early on, that people don't learn in the same way. So, I can't teach them all in the same way and expect them to get the results they want and deserve.

One of the things I do early on is to ask a student, (when they're away from other students. They answer more honestly then) is ask them "What are you looking for in Martial Arts? What do you want to get out of it? What attracted you to it in the first place?

You get some common answers -

"I want to learn to protect myself."
"I've always had an interest in Martial Arts, just never got around to doing it."
"I want to get in shape, lose weight, get stronger, healthier etc."
" I need something to do."
"I want to make my mind stronger."
"I trained a little bit as a kid."
"Joey trains here, he says it's cool."
With kids you sometimes get "I get bullied."
Some folks say 'I want to get in better shape for such and such (usually a sport or activity not related to Martial Arts.
Etc.

Then I take it from there. General training in class, always remembering what they told me they wanted individually.

OP
T

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Another thread here on the forum reminded me of Bob Orlando's book Martial Arts America. It has been a fair while since I last read his thoughts, but today I decided to open the book and dive in once again. There is a chapter on The Value of Tradition which also covers teaching. A few paragraphs jumped off the page in relation to this thread, so I decided to share them here:

I believe that in Western martial arts we have too many coaches, too many trainers, and too many managers – but far too few "teachers." Trainers, as good as they are, only impart and sharpen skills; they train. Teachers, on the other hand, bestow much, much more than just physical skill.

Trainers and coaches train. Teachers also train, but, equally important, they educate.

Education is very different from training. The formal definitions of "education" and "training," as stated by Webster's make this clear. Training means, to make proficient by instruction and practice, as in some art, profession, or work. Education, on the other hand, is much more comprehensive. It is the act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life.

For all of the training the martial artist may acquire, his goal and that of his instructor should be education. Education is wrought at the hands of a capable and thorough teacher; not simply a trainer or coach. The teacher educates, preparing the student for life; the trainer does not. For example, you may be trained in the use of weapons and still not be trusted with them. Training develops primarily technical proficiency. Likewise, education develops proficiency, but education also cultivates the powers of reason and judgment necessary for the martial artist to discern when, and when not, to use the weapons he has so worked so hard to develop - Bob Orlando

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alongside organizing classes and thinking about techniques etc. do you consider thing such as:
  • Safeguarding
  • Counselling
  • Mental health
  • Equality
And other areas of training along these lines?

Absolutely. The martial arts organisations in the UK style specific and general ones all carry courses, information and guidance on subjects such as safeguarding, equality, mental health etc. Most, especially the style specific ones, offer refereeing and coaching courses. UK Sport a government funded organisation offers courses in coaching. Associations who provide insurance for martial arts clubs and instructors have a huge amount of resources on safeguarding etc.

I was taught to instruct in the RAF, the principles are the same whatever you're teaching.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I believe there are some basics that should always be followed by every teacher, especially younger or less experienced ones. Here's a couple of them....

Never lie to your students, never be hesitant to answer a question with "I don't know' or "I'm not sure." Follow that with, "But I'll find out and get back to you." Then, obviously, go find out and get back to them. Because they'll remember, even if you don't.
Finding out isn't difficult, there's tons of resources out there these days.

Another basic - obviously you don't teach something you don't know, but don't teach something you just learned yourself. (no matter how cool you think it is) All you'll be doing is parroting someone else, you really don't know squat about it when it's first taught to you. There are too many nuances you're not aware of yet.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe there are some basics that should always be followed by every teacher, especially younger or less experienced ones. Here's a couple of them....

Never lie to your students, never be hesitant to answer a question with "I don't know' or "I'm not sure." Follow that with, "But I'll find out and get back to you." Then, obviously, go find out and get back to them. Because they'll remember, even if you don't.
Finding out isn't difficult, there's tons of resources out there these days.

Another basic - obviously you don't teach something you don't know, but don't teach something you just learned yourself. (no matter how cool you think it is) All you'll be doing is parroting someone else, you really don't know squat about it when it's first taught to you. There are too many nuances you're not aware of yet.
Especially younger or less experienced teachers? Hell! These are words to live by for every teacher, every day. Honesty and transparency is always the best policy. Always.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me, not sure it would work for others as it is a single data point.
I teach. By Teaching more people and reaching more people, I find what works with people.
e.g. Facing them, Facing the same way, facing 90 degrees, and also letting them feel it.

I also attend Seminars taught by other people and watch them teach.
I see how they reach the audience.
I see how they lose the audience. (* They might be a great practitioner and yet lose the audience and then they learn nothing. :( *)

Note: Not going to reach 100% of the people 100% of the time.

No, I have not.
Yet, as for myself and I repeat for myself, I have always taken a systematic point of view and tried to be able to break things down.
Something I learned in HS and College while tutoring people in Math and science. They need it broken down to the level with terms / words they understand.

Nothing Specific, as when I browsed them they did not reach me directly.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love this subject. But it's going to be difficult to get my thoughts down, being a long winded old bastard. As soon as I get the time I'll have a go at it, finishing up a year long writing project right now.

The main book in my teaching library is a dictionary. I needed one, I'm not the best speller.
I asked for an unabridged dictionary one year for the holidays. It surprised many.
They asked what about spell check.
I used words that the average spell check (at that time) ignored or was not in their program's dictionary.
Having Dyslexia, I need to verify and check. :)

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I found, early on, that people don't learn in the same way. So, I can't teach them all in the same way and expect them to get the results they want and deserve.

One of the things I do early on is to ask a student, (when they're away from other students. They answer more honestly then) is ask them "What are you looking for in Martial Arts? What do you want to get out of it? What attracted you to it in the first place?

You get some common answers -

"I want to learn to protect myself."
"I've always had an interest in Martial Arts, just never got around to doing it."
"I want to get in shape, lose weight, get stronger, healthier etc."
" I need something to do."
"I want to make my mind stronger."
"I trained a little bit as a kid."
"Joey trains here, he says it's cool."
With kids you sometimes get "I get bullied."
Some folks say 'I want to get in better shape for such and such (usually a sport or activity not related to Martial Arts.
Etc.

Then I take it from there. General training in class, always remembering what they told me they wanted individually.
Most of the Police Officers that stop by to train, have a reason.
It is usually a change in their process or rules of engagement and in so doing their instructions is lacking to them.
** Note: This does not mean their instruction was bad, it just didn't connect with them. Sometimes a different instructor can say the smae thing with different words and reach a person. **
I have learned to ask them what the issue is, and then we break it down and address.
They are in and out in a few classes to a month.
Some will say this is an interruption to the rest of the class.
And I say it is a chance for them to see what is being applied by others who need it on a day to day basis in a jail or somewhere else.
I also know they are not there for the long lessons of the art. They want some specific answers and get back to being safe and going him to their loved ones.
If I can help with that, then that is some of the rewards I take home with me.
I bring this up as just teaching can have a few issues.
One never practices to get better and they can get sloppy. ( Not always just an observation on what is possibly )
One can also have wins from teaching.
When you reach a person, or someone applies it for real and they survived better off with than without.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Especially younger or less experienced teachers? Hell! These are words to live by for every teacher, every day. Honesty and transparency is always the best policy. Always.
I completely agree. I've just seen more youngsters hesitant to say "I don't know" when asked a question by a student.

Latest Discussions