Lethargy after competition

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone. As you know I competed just last Sunday and I posted my footage here. I had a total of 10 matches, each more exhausting than the next, some right after the other. Ever since the competition, I am feeling extremely lethargic. It is the first time in a very long time where I have allowed myself to skip training out of laziness. My body isn’t sore, but both my body and mind feel like they have been drained of any strength and stamina.
Today was supposed to be the day where I start going back, but once I woke up I just instantly felt exhausted. All I want to do is sleep. I haven’t ever had to deal with what seems like such overpowering laziness or exhaustion. I spent months doing everything I could, training and drilling as much as possible, and sparring so much I thought I’d be sick at times, and after the big relief of my successes at the competition, now I just feel like a deflated balloon.

I am planning to try and reset my schedule and just jump in the deep end on Wednesday perhaps, since my car will be in the auto repair shop tomorrow and the subway here is expensive. I’ve been looking into the Wim Hof method and I think I will try it to see if it can help with my recoveries in the future. However, I am unsure how to deal with the current situation. Should I keep taking time off? Should I try to jump in the weekend on Wednesday like I planned? I hate taking time off as I always like to outwork everyone else, and since I am not injured, I feel like I might just be being lazy. Has anyone else experienced this? What do you recommend?

Thanks you all in advance.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds like you're exhausted and could use a bit of a break.

Professional athletes will take a vacation after the season is over. If they can, so can you.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is super common. With all the adrenaline, emotion and physical/mental exertion of competition it is not unusual to see fighters break down, cry, become confused or go into temporary depression after their fight. Rest up, drink and eat well. Recovery will come.

Latest Discussions