To stiff frustration

Ram

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have been involved in various martial arts for about 7 1/2 years. During this time I stretched a lot and even took yoga classes for a while. No matter what I do I can't seem to get any more limber.
Every time I take a new class or get a new instructor the first thing I hear is you need to relax and be more flexible. After 7 years you figure I would get a little bit flexible but it just dose not happen. I am in great shape otherwise I run and lift weights(high rep, low weight).
:soapbox:

I am 1. getting fed up with being told I am too stiff. 2. If I could loosen up I would gain a huge advantage as I do pretty good sparring with flexible people even though I can't move worth a &^%$. 3. I then thought to myself maybe I should just start looking into a martial art that would be good for someone stiff.Then I remembered that a stiff person makes a lousy fighter. I might just give up an start weight lifting hardcore and putting all of my martial art money into supplements. The only thing I do know is that I am pissed off!!!!!!!!!!!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That sure strikes a chord with me. Not because I'm a powerlifter in great shape, but because as a person I can be a bit passionate.

I've been told by a lot of people to "just relax". Mmmkay.

My reaction has always been:

1. Why?

2. How?

Tough questions to answer.

Have you ever asked your instructor *how* you can relax and loosen up, and have you found a way that works? The earthy-crunchy "picture yourself in a green meadow" doesn't cut it for me at all.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

Because joints have a muscle group working on either side -- quads & hamstrings; biceps and triceps, etc.

If you are tight, you are working against yourself: it harder for the bicep to bend the arm if the tricep is busy pulling against it.

So, to relax, loosen up: stretch.

Warm up first -- do some pushups, situps, jumping jacks, and then stretch.

Lean into each stretch where it starts to hurt and then, to relax: breathe.

Slowly inhale deep with diaphragm (push belly out) through nose, slowly exhale. Repeat. Concentrate on breathing.

It is a pleasant sensation to feel the muscles relax -- focus on that instead of the stretching pain.

Stretch further: repeat.

Another way: Lean into stretch, tense all the muscles that you are stretching along with the antagonistic muscle group, hold for 10 seconds, relax.... repeat three times.

Stretch further: repeat.

Works for me -- hope you find in helpful :)

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is it possible you have reached your limit of flexibility? Not all bodies are the same. Some are naturally more flexible than others. The "less flexible" among us can improve our flexibility greatly with the proper stretching exercises, etc., but still may never be able to get the same amount of flexion as another might be able to. Just a thought.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been involved in various martial arts for about 7 1/2 years. During this time I stretched a lot and even took yoga classes for a while. No matter what I do I can't seem to get any more limber.
Every time I take a new class or get a new instructor the first thing I hear is you need to relax and be more flexible. After 7 years you figure I would get a little bit flexible but it just dose not happen. I am in great shape otherwise I run and lift weights(high rep, low weight).
:soapbox:

I am 1. getting fed up with being told I am too stiff. 2. If I could loosen up I would gain a huge advantage as I do pretty good sparring with flexible people even though I can't move worth a &^%$. 3. I then thought to myself maybe I should just start looking into a martial art that would be good for someone stiff.Then I remembered that a stiff person makes a lousy fighter. I might just give up an start weight lifting hardcore and putting all of my martial art money into supplements. The only thing I do know is that I am pissed off!!!!!!!!!!!

Its possible, as Jade said, you could have just reached your limit on the stretching. I've always found that I get my best stretches when I'm really warmed up. After I've done my cardio, I stretch, and its amazing how much more flexable I am, once the muscles and joints are warm.

Not sure how much time you're spending on a warmup before strecthing, but its something you may want to try. :)

Mike

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are always ways to counteract stiffness, but to try to do all of them at one time isn't ideal.

You can try to focus on one area of your body at a given time. For example, maybe for a given session, focus on dropping your shoulders. Constantly give yourself a reminder to do that. After repeated "therapy" like this, your shoulders will get used to staying in a relaxed state. Once the shoulders are conditioned, then work on something else.

Just remember, though, that everyone has limits in one way or another. If someone is naturally stiff, and really can't get much more flexible, then so be it. You can still formulate strategies that work well within your own limits, and that's all part of improving one's self as a martial artist.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There is being tight from having a lack of flexibility - stretch and warmup

And then there is being tight from carrying unconcious tension in your muscles. Stretching and warming up can help with this to some degree, but I find regular meditation focused on body awareness and muscle relaxation has made much more difference in reducing this kind of tension. You probably hold lots of tension in your abdomen and hips and don't even realize it...

Once you can be relaxed then stretching and warming up is much more effective.

Rememebr yin and yang: Internally be YANG ready to fight in high spirits and externally be YIN relaxed and appearing calm. This has really helped me...

OP
Ram

Ram

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice so far.

And then there is being tight from carrying unconcious tension in your muscles. Stretching and warming up can help with this to some degree, but I find regular meditation focused on body awareness and muscle relaxation has made much more difference in reducing this kind of tension. You probably hold lots of tension in your abdomen and hips and don't even realize it...

It is tight from unconscious tension. I stretch to a point to where I can easily throw a knee level with my eyes. So I am plenty loose in that respect. But because I am a stiff person I expand tons of energy because I have to fight my muscles to move quickly and fluently.When I grapple I have a hard time doing chokes and locks because I can not flow with the person but have to fight against not just them but my own body movement.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The best cure for this is just lots of practice and just relaxing. Do not try to use muscle to make things work instead get the correct body movements down and then just kind've let go. I have met several people
like yourself and eventually the ones I knew started to relax and go with
the flow more. Once they did this then their martial arts skills dramatically increased. So, do not force things and take a slightly more relaxed approach to what you are doing and you may see some results over time.
Good luck.

Latest Discussions