Fitness focus?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
After reading through some other threads, I got to thinking about how much emphasis each of us places on physical preparedness when it come sto our MA training.

So my questions are these:
How much emphasis do you place on physical fitness in your school and in your own training?

Do you feel that you are a positive example for your students and your art?

Do you think it plays a role in your ability to demonstrate your art and/or use it effectively?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In what I've been studying for years, and my wifes school, very little. Both my wife and I feel that is a personal responsibility.

However, we do try to set an example to her students and promote fitness and health.

I think a certain level of fitness is vital for combatives, and it is of the utmost importance to be strong and have good cardio vascular endurance.

Jeff

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was just about to start a thread on the same topic! You were reading my mind. In the school that I was first promoted to black belt in (run by the man I still call my sensei), we easliy spend 45 minutes of the 2 hours doing calithenics and "agilities" before we even do a stance. On average, we run 2 miles every practice.

In my school here in Iraq, I found that 45 min of exercise killed over half of my teaching time. In my tennessee school, there was very little non-karate related exercise.

All in all, I like the first way better, but time doesnt allow for it.

IUn the future, who knows

Latest Discussions