To all you americans!

OP
B

breeno

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In case none of you noticed, it was meant to be light hearted. I understand what makes a sport, and every sport takes skill to a certain degree.

I also do not appreciate the comments suggesting I should 'grow up', I could just as easily say to you 'take a joke'.

OP
B

breeno

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
All in fun. My impression was that this was not intended to be a serious thread, and I treated it as such. Why on Earth would I actually have anything against soccer?

I honestly didn't take the OP as a serious comment on American football or baseball. Instead, it seemed to me to be a friendly jibe and I attemped to respond in kind.

So, if anyone lacking hand/eye coordination was offended, I sincerely apologize. :D

Thankyou, one of the only people that interpreted it correctly.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
In case none of you noticed, it was meant to be light hearted. I understand what makes a sport, and every sport takes skill to a certain degree.

I also do not appreciate the comments suggesting I should 'grow up', I could just as easily say to you 'take a joke'.

Know how many times I got told to grow up here about 2 weeks ago because of a couple fat jokes? It's the go to around here it seems.

OP
B

breeno

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Know how many times I got told to grow up here about 2 weeks ago because of a couple fat jokes? It's the go to around here it seems.

Only a couple fat jokes? Thats what we live for where I come from:p

OP
B

breeno

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What about some biffo from Big Bad Barry Hall.

Gotta love that.

He got offered $10,000,000 to get back into Boxing didn't he?

What about Big Bad Leroy Brown?

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You shoulda seen it, even got called a few names too, and accused of making fun of someone's wife anonymously on another website.
Good times.

So... anyone free tonight? I was thinking of putting together a crazed mob and storming the castle.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nah, going to some MMA thing at the Hard Rock Hotel. Don't ask who or what organization, my mother got me the tickets. I just know it's tonight at the Hard Rock in Hollywood Florida.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good times.

So... anyone free tonight? I was thinking of putting together a crazed mob and storming the castle.

Good luck storming the castle! :lol:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Hummm ... no.

Just to add a small warning to the pile, as well as it not being allowed to be gratuitously and deliberately offensive (as you were) it is also not allowed to do what is termed "Debating Board Policy". That includes tangentially whinging in public threads about the treatment you received for breaking the regulations.

If you truly believe that you were 'hard done to' and find it impossible to enjoy being 'yourself' on such a tightly regulated site then I suggest you take full advantage of the ability to voluntarily suspend your account. We won't take it remiss of you. Some people just do not fit in certain environments.

To be clear, this is not just advice from me as an individual member of the board but as one of the spear-carriers that try to maintain order and politely decent behaviour around here. It is termed a "Nudge" viz not quite an 'official word' yet but likely to become one if things don't improve.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hummm ... no.

Just to add a small warning to the pile, as well as it not being allowed to be gratuitously and deliberately offensive (as you were) it is also not allowed to do what is termed "Debating Board Policy". That includes tangentially whinging in public threads about the treatment you received for breaking the regulations.

If you truly believe that you were 'hard done to' and find it impossible to enjoy being 'yourself' on such a tightly regulated site then I suggest you take full advantage of the ability to voluntarily suspend your account. We won't take it remiss of you. Some people just do not fit in certain environments.

To be clear, this is not just advice from me as an individual member of the board but as one of the spear-carriers that try to maintain order and politely decent behaviour around here. It is termed a "Nudge" viz not quite an 'official word' yet but likely to become one if things don't improve.

I'm not goin' anywhere man.

But yeah, I still watch soccer religiously, even though I prefer football. Heck, I even watch the MLS which is some sad stuff really.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I played college football and I have some friends that play professional football. I have played AFL before and I am telling you, NO COMPARISON. The guys in the NFL would kill you if they played AFL. The pads are there so the game will last for longer than the first play without a fatal hit.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I played college football and I have some friends that play professional football. I have played AFL before and I am telling you, NO COMPARISON. The guys in the NFL would kill you if they played AFL. The pads are there so the game will last for longer than the first play without a fatal hit.

So, if Australians could hit harder, they would wear pads too?

OP
B

breeno

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

No doubt the NFL hits harder, a better re wording of AFL is like an in between sport. Not quite soccer, not quite NFL, I just love the entertainment factor.

I've seen Saverio Rocca get cleaned up from plays in the NFL, and he was one of the big boys over here, so I gathered the NFL hit pretty damn hard. That being said, I'd like to see one break a couple tackles, take a couple of bounces and hit Buddy Franklin right on the chest.

Every sport has skill, I'm just suggesting Americans should check it out. They might be in for a pleasant surprise.

OP
B

breeno

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So, if Australians could hit harder, they would wear pads too?

They havn't got as big a body as most of the NFL players as the sport requires them to be pretty nimble aswell. The main aim of it is to tackle a player with the ball, not to bump him. Most hits in the AFL usually come from a big forward trying to take a mark, and cleaning up several small guys in the process.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
AFL is not the only game we play in Oz , in New South Wales and Queensland we play Rugby League which is faster and a lot more free flowing than Rugby Union .

Its a brutal game , with some big hits and the rules are a probably a bit easier for Americans to understand than AFL .
The main objective is to run across the line with the ball with out being tackled and make a try.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions