TKD vs Kenpo School

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL...... I have had some that have moved across town in Phoenix due to job or what not...... and find 30 miles unbearable for lessons.........lol:rofl: and that's in a town with an easy freeway system.... You guys understand and appreciate good instruction!

:asian:

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I know what you mean. Tess and I drive 30 minutes to get to our school, to make the ocmmute shorter for our students. A majority of my "core" people drive 30 minutes or more to get there. The ones that live in walking distance are the ones that miss the most class.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'll one up you Seig,

I drive 40 miles to my school! Of course there is only two stop signs and one stop light in those 40 miles. I figure Kenpo alone is responsible for 12,000 miles per year on my truck.

nightingale,

I sympathize, grad school and kenpo did not mix well for me, and boy did thesis writing set me WAAAAY back (it is pretty amazing what 6 months of sitting on your butt while staring at a computer screen will do to your skills). Fortunately, that is done now.

Lamont

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Lamont,
Do you own the school or are you one of the students? The reason I ask is that I think it is unusual for my school owners to drive further than most of their students to get to their school.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig

I know what you mean. Tess and I drive 30 minutes to get to our school, to make the ocmmute shorter for our students. A majority of my "core" people drive 30 minutes or more to get there. The ones that live in walking distance are the ones that miss the most class.

I used to live five minutes from my teacher's old school. I was there from the first class to the last. Usually five hours a day or so, plus tournaments every weekend... if I was still five minutes away, even after a long day at work and school, I'd still drop by for the 8 pm class.

OP
K

Kirk

Dang, I'm starting to feel guilty for living close to my school! LOL

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If the instruction is good, then the distance
will depend on each person, But each person
will have their 'limit' they can travel.
I travel 60 Miles one way for private instructions
at least once a week. TO me this is within my
limit. I can drive the hour and the instruction
is worth the time and effort. Yet, each person
needs to make their own choices.

Rich

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi Seig,

No I don't own the school, but I am one of several associate instructors (and I'll ALWAYS be a student :p ). I actually choose to live in the boonies, of course my other option is to live in town and commute 40 miles to work 5 days a week (I live 1 minute walking from my workplace.) If I ever did own a school, well, they'd come to me.

I actually found that the long drive back was useful when I was really cranking as an underbelt. I spent the whole time driving back mentally going over new techs or forms. I think it really aided my retention and learning speed.

Lamont

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk
Dang, I'm starting to feel guilty for living close to my school! LOL

Any more that's the way it is.... if its not close to your house then its not good...... so go sign up where convenience is primo.... skill & knowledge is out the window......

**Sigh**

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Respectful uniformed students, organized material, and discipline will impress parents when they walk in to observe. Reasons "why" we do what we do in addition to the "HOW" that everyone talks about is also impressive to people inquiring ......

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Any more that's the way it is.... if its not close to your house then its not good...... so go sign up where convenience is primo.... skill & knowledge is out the window......

I'm pretty sure you know all the Kenpo instructors where I live. You don't think I've done this, do you?

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Kirk it was a general statement ........... not aimed at anyone......

K ... given who you are, and who you know .. I had to ask.

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Kirk

K ... given who you are, and who you know .. I had to ask.
[/QUOTE

It's aimed at "Tracy" people, of course!:soapbox:

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by RCastillo

It's aimed at "Tracy" people, of course!:soapbox:

Nooooooooooooooooooo, not at all! He's Dennis Freaking
Conatser! He is and knows all the "big guns" in EPAK,
AND he knows my instructor! That's all I meant.

Estamos bien, camara?

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Seig

you Armadillo, not every thing is aimed at Tracy people.....geez.:rofl:

No more Armadillo jokes. We're known for "Killer Bees" down here!:samurai:

Latest Discussions