TKD vs Kenpo School

K

Kenpolane

We have a TKD school near me and a great building for a Kenpo School 2 doors down. Have any of you seen 2 different styles taught that close together? Friendly competetion or trouble?:shrug:

OP
S

Sandor

I subscibe to the burger king v mc d's lin of thought on this; people will go where they want so it shouldn't matter if your school is close to another school if the population density supports it. Keep in mind many more folks go to both of the fastfood places mentioned than take martial arts. It is good for business... to a point.

Two doors down and/or right across the street are a bit too close though. Both business need a bit of breathing space in order for them to succeed. If not both will be always cash starved and barely getting by. Better to open a few blocks away and avoid the years of suffering...

Peace,
Sandor

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Kenpolane

We have a TKD school near me and a great building for a Kenpo School 2 doors down. Have any of you seen 2 different styles taught that close together? Friendly competetion or trouble?:shrug:

Trouble, finacially speaking. But if you can handle the ups, and downs of business, I'd say go for it. Show them what they're missing!:asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That should be left up to the individual partaking into the martial arts to figure out what they want to do. If you want info. and learning go to the kenpo school. If you want rank quickly and not have to spend lots of extra hrs. then go to the TKD school. Listen to this though.
About 3-4 months ago we had a tracy's kenpo school come into town and open up on the other half block from the kenpo studio I train at. The other half block I said. You can throw a stone onto each other. So far my instructor hasn't seen any significant change in the school's client list. Also about 2.5 miles away to the east there's a person teaching hawaiian kenpo karate. These 3 styles within 3 miles of eachother. Yesh.
Salute,
Jason Farnsworth

OP
S

Sandor

Originally posted by jfarnsworth

....Also about 2.5 miles away to the east there's a person teaching hawaiian kenpo karate. These 3 styles within 3 miles of eachother. Yesh.
Salute,
Jason Farnsworth

Jason, everywhere I look there is a school in this town. (Miami for those who don't know) We have 4 other Kenpo schools within a 1.5 mile radius also 6 tkd, 2 shotokan, 2 kungfu, 1 bjj and 1 ishin-ryu. That is a lot of schools but this is a county where the population is just over 3.1 million people. Last I looked we have 7 pages in the yellow pages under martial arts.

Peace,
Sandor

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by jfarnsworth

About 3-4 months ago we had a tracy's kenpo school come into town and open up on the other half block from the kenpo studio I train at.

Jason, check and see if the head instructor is named Castillo.... if so, call your landlord and ask to expand the building and sign a 10 year lease ....... you'll need more space soon. :rofl:

J/K Ricardo..... hee hee:D

OP
C

Chiduce

I think there is no problem with the two schools bein that close together! TKD has their crew and following. Kenpo does also! Depending on the clients, ages, genders and preferences; each school would have something positive to offer the community. I know that some Kenpo and TKD Schools do not offer competitive training unless the student specifically asks for such. Others do and only train their students for competition. In the system of kenpo i teach under the IDKA/VKA we do not train for competition; yet those interested can learn for competition! In my system of White Crane Kenpo; is designed for both the streets and misc/creative forms competition! Sincerely; In Humility; Chiduce!

OP
T

theneuhauser

probably just the general location of the school itself is even more important-meaning is it fairly visible from a busy street? the occassional curious person that drops in for a look could become a lifelong training partner and friend. who knows?

kenpo and tkd are different enough that i would expect that their proximity would complement eachother because someone might notice one school or the other in passing, and then, after trying one out, they may look for something new. something like... that other school down the street.

OP
T

tonbo

Can't we all just get along? Hehe....

It *used* to be that, if you opened a school close to one that was already set, you were asking to have a fight. However, I know that nowadays, you can open schools of different styles close to each other, and there won't necessarily be a problem.

People are going to go to whatever school or style they want, whether you are close to each other or not. You can be close to each other physically, yet teach things that are far and away better than the other school.

I don't think it should be a problem.....but then again, it's gonna depend on the attitudes of the owners and students of both schools. You can have a martial arts "community" that way, with perhaps some friendly competition from time to time, or you can have an all-out turf war that gets nastier and nastier. If you have situation #2, be prepared for a lot of students to get a bitter taste about both schools, sooner or later......

Peace--

OP
R

Rainman

Originally posted by Chiduce

I think there is no problem with the two schools bein that close together! TKD has their crew and following. Kenpo does also! Depending on the clients, ages, genders and preferences; each school would have something positive to offer the community. I know that some Kenpo and TKD Schools do not offer competitive training unless the student specifically asks for such. Others do and only train their students for competition. In the system of kenpo i teach under the IDKA/VKA we do not train for competition; yet those interested can learn for competition! In my system of White Crane Kenpo; is designed for both the streets and misc/creative forms competition! Sincerely; In Humility; Chiduce!

Not familiar with white crane kenpo- can you give an example of some techniques- say for a left right punch combination and a bear hug from behind arms pinned?

:asian:

OP
C

Chiduce

Originally posted by Rainman

Not familiar with white crane kenpo- can you give an example of some techniques- say for a left right punch combination and a bear hug from behind arms pinned?

Yellow #2; Black Tiger Eat's It's Prey (Defense Against A Right Lead Punch)
1. Attacker Throws Right Lead Punch
Defense;
1. Step forward with right leg across left leg executing right circular outside block and trap at attackers wrist area.
2. Turn trapped weapon counter-clockwise with attacker's elbow pointing to the ground, palm-up.
3. Step in with left leg and execute left rising forearm smash to attacker's elbow, breaking it. (Attacker's right side vital areas are exposed):
4. ( While keeping attacker's right arm trapped) Execute left horizontal reverse elbow to right floating ribs, breaking them.
5. Countinue striking motion and execute left looping horizontal elbow smash to attacker's temple.
6. Reverse elbow motion and deliver left crushing reverse elbow to attacker's philtrum (for sling shot effect):
7. Continue motion transforming reverse elbow into left upward inverted palm out single spearhand strike to attacker's throat as you slip left leg behind attacker's right leg.
8. Finish by executing left downward raking tiger's claw to attacker's eyes tranforming into left inverted-thumb down tiger's claw to treachea, choke throwing attacker over left leg.
Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

OP
R

Rainman

Interesting- thanks for taking the time to write that out.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow and they say we add insult to injury!!! I do have a question though. After the attack to the elbow is the victim(pardon me)I mean attacker in an upright position, or is the poor slob being manipulated around? Thanks for your time...

Salute:asian:

OP
C

Chiduce

Originally posted by donald

Wow and they say we add insult to injury!!! I do have a question though. After the attack to the elbow is the victim(pardon me)I mean attacker in an upright position, or is the poor slob being manipulated around? Thanks for your time...

Salute:asian:
After the elbow smash, the attacker is constanly changing body position. The rib strke bends him/her toward the defender a bit as the looping elbow strike to the temple takes the body forward at the waist a bit, while the reverse elbow jerks the head and waist back to slightly up-right position; to position him/her for the spearhand, eye rake and finishing choke throw. So, you can say the there is some manipulation involved; especially if he/she attempts to counter, due to the control of the presently broken elbow being trapped. Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

OP
C

Chiduce

Originally posted by Rainman

Interesting- thanks for taking the time to write that out.

Thank you sir. I guess i kinda needed to be put on the spot. From my studies, it is fact that American Kenpo hides very little, if they hide anything at all as far as techniques are concerned. I feel the other kenpo arts should follow the AK lead and reveal to anyone interested their respective techniques. To myself, knowledge is power! :asian: Ami Tou Fou! Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

OP
R

Rainman

Originally posted by Chiduce

Thank you sir. I guess i kinda needed to be put on the spot. From my studies, it is fact that American Kenpo hides very little, if they hide anything at all as far as techniques are concerned. I feel the other kenpo arts should follow the AK lead and reveal to anyone interested their respective techniques. To myself, knowledge is power! :asian: Ami Tou Fou! Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

You are most welcome, I enjoyed the tek... gave me something fresh to think about.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
gosh, your town has kenpo schools all over! as far as I can tell, the one closest to me is about half an hour away.

I live in Corona, CA, and drive to Huntington Beach, CA to train (about 45 miles one way). There are a couple of schools slightly closer, but when my old instructor opened a new studio, I figured I should go there...glad I did, but the commute makes it so I can't go nearly as often as I'd like. I get down there once a week if I'm lucky. Otherwise, I just practice here in my apartment complex.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can relate to that nightingale8472. I live in Denver Co and I have to drive to Longmont 30 miles away. Small town Longmont has a EPAK kenpo school and Big old Denver has none. It's worth it though, to me anyways.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
absolutely.

I just wish I had more time for it...between a 4 hour round trip commute to work in los angeles (68 miles away), grad school two days a week near santa monica (20 miles past work), and karate in huntington beach (40 miles from work), sigh... I don't even have time to sleep, much less go to karate... ah well... I will have much more training time after the master's is complete... then I can apply myself to my training more and perhaps get that black belt...I know the stuff I'm supposed to know (except the form...working on that still), but I don't have the stamina or conditioning, because I only get to class once a week, and that's only if I'm lucky and don't have any tests in school that week. :drinkbeer

OP
G

GouRonin

Considering Kenpo is quickly becoming the TKD of the 21st century I say go for it. You have nothing but $$ too lose. Oh, wait...nevermind.

Latest Discussions